Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times

Advertisements

My advice would be this: You can't get out of the court case, and your job will understand that.

April is 'late enough' after you've started to ask for a day off to go to a swing dance competition.

However, the ice climbing in two weeks, I would suggest you skip. You're too new, and on top of the two things that you *can't* get out of (court case and already-paid-for trip), that's a lot of 'time off' for a new person all of a sudden, and it's going to look bad. It would have been one thing if the ice-climb had been planned before you started so you could have given your employer a heads-up, but to say this now will make them wonder how many 'once in a lifetime' opportunities you'll get that you 'just have to go to!' and will request time off for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcortona View Post
I'm a very avid ice climber, and I have to travel during the limited winter season; I took a trip to Montana earlier this year before I started my job to climb, but I was invited to compete in a competition February 15-16 in Wyoming. It's a huge deal to me, I've never been invited to a competition like this before and I would be heartbroken to miss it. I don't need to be paid for the time I take off, I just want to go climb!

Is it totally inappropriate to ask for a Friday and a Monday off for my climbing competition (driving time)?
It seems your competition is Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 15-16, 2014, and the 2 days you want off are Friday, Feb. 14 and Monday, Feb. 17. Monday, Feb. 17 is Presidents Day (aka Washington's Birthday). Does your school close for that day? If so, then you only have to worry about Friday, Feb. 14. If they absolutely won't let you have that one day off, is there any way you could travel to Wyoming without taking that day off? Maybe start driving after you get out of work, or fly?

What is the school's usual vacation policy?

Good luck, and I hope this somehow works out for you.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
Can't decide if OP is serious or not? Please listen, right now you need to focus on doing your job and presenting yourself well. You are too young to get into bad habits. I used to work at a place where we would hire a lot people and there were such unbelievable morons who would be hired to start and then a day later (sometimes even on their first day) would start asking for time off. Trust me, we used to fire them on the spot. Maybe your manager is nicer and wouldn't fire you, but if I were him or her I would sit you down and give you a good tongue whipping, like I am doing right now. Do not even ask for the time off. Whatever activities you want to attend, do it on your own time. It is time to grow up and be a responsible adult. These habits will stay with you for life.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Leave that stuff until the weekend. I wouldn't risk my reputation for my hobby. That would be like taking vacation from my job because I like videogames and fanfiction writing.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Time to grow up and decide if you want a career or to climb ice. I think you would be pushing the limits of asking too much too soon in your relationship with your employer........and then you are also adding in the time off for court.

If you were my employee I would start to wonder if I made the right choice in hiring you. Sorry, I can't sugar coat it.

Don

Exactly. The OP has the "I want it and I want it now" mentality that a lot of young people have these days.

Go next year to the ice climbing. You have already called in sick, taken time off, need time off for court.

You're not just sitting at a desk, when you're not there someone else has to take up the slack with the children.

Maybe you should get a server job instead, where you can give away shifts when you don't want to work.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 21,676 times
I would skip all the second guessing b.s. and just ask. Worst they can say in "no"

Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
I think people are being a little harsh on the OP, which is typical on this board. Rather than judging her, isn't it better to give advice?

The big question that the OP still has not answered is, what is their usual vacation policy.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
I'm on the liberal end of using PTO/vacation days based on what I see in a lot of these threads, and even I think this is a bit excessive.

The April trip is totally fine -- most employers should understand that, and it's far enough in advance. Not a problem.

The trip as a witness to court, too -- also fine. I personally believe that one shouldn't require using vacation time since, like jury duty, you're legally obligated to be there -- but that's not the scope of this discussion.

This ice-climbing thing, though? I'm all for pursuing your passions, but I think this is a passion that will have to be pursued another year. Being 19, you will more than likely get the opportunity to do this again, and it's just too short of a notice AND you've been employed there for too short of a time to impose this on your employer.

I understand being a busy person, but the thing about entering the working world is that work suddenly becomes a big reason as to why you're busy. This was a relatively hard lesson for me to learn when I graduated from college, as I suspect it is for most people.

Work life should balance with personal life -- but sometimes (like right now), you need to focus a bit more on work to get yourself settled AND established. What happens if you take this time, then in three months, something else irresistible pops up? Being 19 is exciting, and there's always something fun going on -- I can't imagine working full-time at your age, balance college work with the fun of being 19 was hard enough.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I think people are being a little harsh on the OP, which is typical on this board. Rather than judging her, isn't it better to give advice?

The big question that the OP still has not answered is, what is their usual vacation policy.

The OP has another thread where they overslept and than called in sick. You set your alarm even if you're sick and get up and call in as early as possible. Especially when you're talking about a school.

The director of the school asked her to try and make an important meeting and she couldn't commit to that either.

The OP kept saying on that thread "I'm only 19", a very immature 19.

Perhaps she should wait a couple of years and revisit the teaching idea, in the meantime switch to a part time server job working nights and that will leave her the time she needs for her activities.

Clearly, work/career is not a priority at this time.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:55 AM

334 posts, read 585,440 times
Just ask. From someone who worked in an HR department at a large, conservative lawfirm, once upon a time. Just ask, and say that you understand if they don't agree to it, or think it best, but you just wanted to ask.

Do not worry that you will be ill-regarded. A place that would "ding" a 19-year-old for wanting 2 more days off is not a place that will respect you anyway. And, do not doubt, that if THEY wanted YOU to stay home 2 days so they don't have to pay you, they would say, "Stay home."

Montessori is a business like any business, and the bottom line matters. People try to dress up that bald fact by imaging that their employer cares. Not one in ten-thousand cares about anything but the bottom line. They may have a twinge, or feel bad about letting someone go, or shorting someone's hours, or not paying them what they could afford to pay them, but they don't REALLY care. Unless you are afraid you can't get another job in the future, go ahead and ask.

At our firm, the more demanding the employee, the more respect they got and the higher they rose. The attorneys liked their nerve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment