Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times

Advertisements

Going thru job postings and not getting responses does not count as EXPERIENCE
SERIOUSLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
One thing not being discussed, is that we are told that the jobs people will be working at in just 10 years, half have not even been invented yet. That is how fast the labor market is changing.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
No, seriously - I agree with you, and that matches my own experiences exactly. If you don't have *everything* they want, right down to the CAD program in question, you won't hear back from anyone.
The first reason they are listing so many qualifications, is that they know from experience they can find someone with those qualifications, and this eliminates having to go through a lot of applications that do not have all the qualifications. They can find someone qualified to go to work, and not have a lengthy training period which is expensive.

The other reason, is the hiring regulations that they have to follow. They may have someone in house that they plan on moving to the spot. But due to employment state and federal regulations, plus some recent court decisions this may get them in trouble if they don't first post it for all applicants to see. They know who will be put into that position, but first have to advertise, and then can say the best applicant is the one that was always going to get that job. Employers, don't like to do this considering the time and expense, but they have to keep the regulators happy.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The other reason, is the hiring regulations that they have to follow. They may have someone in house that they plan on moving to the spot. But due to employment state and federal regulations, plus some recent court decisions this may get them in trouble if they don't first post it for all applicants to see. They know who will be put into that position, but first have to advertise, and then can say the best applicant is the one that was always going to get that job. Employers, don't like to do this considering the time and expense, but they have to keep the regulators happy.
This is mostly the case for employee promotions. Its a gesture to show youre not being promoted because of lack of competition. It's also the case for H1B/temps and contractors who are converting into a permanent positions. That is why job postings look like someone's resume, because it is. For H1B's, making the job 'available' to americans is required by the INS/Labor dept, but of course thats reserved already. I've personally seen 'my job' postings twice

Old 02-04-2014, 03:42 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Going thru job postings and not getting responses does not count as EXPERIENCE
SERIOUSLY.
Actually, applying to jobs, going to interviews, and reading through job postings and noting the following:

1) the absurd requirements that rule out nearly all outside candidates.
2) the lack of jobs in general.
3) the lack of replies to applications or people being hired.
4) the hypocritical claim that we "need more STEM workers" when there aren't enough STEM jobs open in the nation to absorb a single year's STEM graduating class, much less everyone else in the field who needs work.

All of this counts as experience. I cannot imagine how anyone can claim otherwise with a straight face. I know you believe that there's a great reason for all this economic nonsense - a reason you haven't stated, but one that clearly involves blaming everyone who's out of work while letting the corps off the hook - but nobody is going to agree with you on that. Rant all you want, but you cannot just hand-wave away everyone else's experience.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Actually, applying to jobs, going to interviews, and reading through job postings and noting the following:

4) the hypocritical claim that we "need more STEM workers" when there aren't enough STEM jobs open in the nation to absorb a single year's STEM graduating class, much less everyone else in the field who needs work.

All of this counts as experience. I cannot imagine how anyone can claim otherwise with a straight face. I know you believe that there's a great reason for all this economic nonsense - a reason you haven't stated, but one that clearly involves blaming everyone who's out of work while letting the corps off the hook - but nobody is going to agree with you on that. Rant all you want, but you cannot just hand-wave away everyone else's experience.

It's not EXPERIENCE that add value to your word. Theyre nothing more but BAD STORIES

Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

If one doesn't experience these it doesn't it exist to the person because he haven't experienced it. Just like those that don't get why finding a job is hard when their family, friends and themselves have safe jobs and haven't needed to look for work while unemployed. It has traces of the availability heuristic, bandwagon effect, confirmation bias, IKEA effect, illusion of control, normally bias, omission bias and survivor-ship bias. Then when they are questioned on it, they use the backfire effect to support their claims.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If one doesn't experience these it doesn't it exist to the person because he haven't experienced it. Just like those that don't get why finding a job is hard when their family, friends and themselves have safe jobs and haven't needed to look for work while unemployed. It has traces of the availability heuristic, bandwagon effect, confirmation bias, IKEA effect, illusion of control, normally bias, omission bias and survivor-ship bias. Then when they are questioned on it, they use the backfire effect to support their claims.
Precisely.

Apparently, when something happens to me, it counts for nothing (even if it happens more than once.) But if something different happens to the guy with confirmation bias, that clearly must be the only way things are in the world. Which is funny, because in reality, the only experiences that really matter are the ones that happen to each of us. The fact that somebody else can magically get a job whenever he wishes somehow doesn't do me a lot of good now, does it? This whole thing is just another sad way for people to deny that there's a problem in the nation. Clearly, everyone unemployed or underemployed is just a "whiner" and is not actually experiencing the events that are happening to them.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:32 PM

MISUNDERSTANDING. Thats your 'experience'. Nothing has happened to you.

If you cant drive and keep crashing then you'll be the expert in crashing. Wait for someone to ask how to crash spectacularly, only then you'll be experienced enough to share your 'experience'. If someone asks how to drive a car properly, what you keep doing in this case is telling them to not drive because something is wrong with the cars and freeways. Thats is messed up.
Are you sure youre trying to get into the STEM field? I dont see any sign of critical thinking with you. I know mkpunk isnt.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:36 PM

599 posts, read 953,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
It just dawned on me that Psycology majors will be highly in demand soon.

Especially ones who know how to spell Psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment