Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 AM

361 posts, read 922,343 times

Advertisements

This is true in non-tech jobs as well. Recently I've tried getting a second job to help my wife get out of debt and it has been difficult to say the least. These are all night jobs so they're mostly of the general labor variety and even there they want experience in whatever mindless task it is the company specializes in. I remember one specifically where the position was literally putting tubes of toothpaste in a box on a conveyor belt. I worked there in high school and knew from experience that many of the employees had down syndrome and other mental illnesses...

The company wanted a year of recent experience in a manufacturing environment.

Most employers these days just downright refuse to train people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
This is true in non-tech jobs as well. Recently I've tried getting a second job to help my wife get out of debt and it has been difficult to say the least. These are all night jobs so they're mostly of the general labor variety and even there they want experience in whatever mindless task it is the company specializes in. I remember one specifically where the position was literally putting tubes of toothpaste in a box on a conveyor belt. I worked there in high school and knew from experience that many of the employees had down syndrome and other mental illnesses...

The company wanted a year of recent experience in a manufacturing environment.

Most employers these days just downright refuse to train people.
I remember I saw an ad for a restaurant, it was your typical diner/family style place so it was nothing fancy. They wanted previous experience in dish washing.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
I remember I saw an ad for a restaurant, it was your typical diner/family style place so it was nothing fancy. They wanted previous experience in dish washing.
What's doubly idiotic is the company probably would not accept years of washing your own dishes at home as experience since that's "not a professional environment." Also, I wonder if they had requirements regarding what brand of dishwasher you'd have to be experienced with... I wish I were kidding, but these days, you never know.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
What's doubly idiotic is the company probably would not accept years of washing your own dishes at home as experience since that's "not a professional environment." Also, I wonder if they had requirements regarding what brand of dishwasher you'd have to be experienced with... I wish I were kidding, but these days, you never know.

And I bet they were paying minimum wage or something close to it. So, why would I want to quit a job and go work there, unless the place was literally across the street from my house?

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Obviously people just come here to complain

Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 AM

209 posts, read 292,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
You're right. A lot of people do come on here to complain. A lot of folks just need a safe place to vent. In reading a lot of the threads on here, I see a lot of frustration. I'm one of those very frustrated folks as well. Though we're being told the economy is so much better than it was a couple of years ago, most of us aren't seeing it. So, yeah, there will be a lot of complaining as a lot of us feel to powerless to be able to do a whole lot more than just complain.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
You're right. A lot of people do come on here to complain. A lot of folks just need a safe place to vent. In reading a lot of the threads on here, I see a lot of frustration. I'm one of those very frustrated folks as well. Though we're being told the economy is so much better than it was a couple of years ago, most of us aren't seeing it. So, yeah, there will be a lot of complaining as a lot of us feel to powerless to be able to do a whole lot more than just complain.
I think you are spot on. I don't think the economy has recovered enough and the success has fully trickled down the system yet. What were in is a jobless recovery, in other words the only reason the unemployment rate is going down is because people are dropping out of the workforce faster than jobs are being created.

Until the labor participation rate goes back up, I think we will be hearing a lot more complaining.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
True, people do complain here. Why? Because throughout the rest of this glorious nation, pointing out serious problems and expecting payoff for one's work and effort is seen as "whining." So, between job applications, folks come here to vent - and they have every right to do so. At least they aren't coming here just to bash other people and laugh at their misfortune.

The corporate shills make me laugh. They honestly believe that "nobody owns you anything" while ignoring the huge amounts of time and money people have invested in their education and job experience based upon the expected - and even promised - payout. I suspect if these same shills wrote a check for $20,000 for a new car and then, when arriving at the dealer to pick it up, were told, "oh, sorry - we decided that we're taking your money but you're not getting the car because it's more profitable for us this way." they wouldn't just walk away with a smile on their face, happy to know that corporate America cheated them out of a huge chunk of money just to increase their own profits. But it's okay when the equivalent happens to other people who lose tens of thousands of dollars and decades of their life based upon corporations moving the goal posts, changing the rules, and trashing the nation's economy.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
True, people do complain here. Why? Because throughout the rest of this glorious nation, pointing out serious problems and expecting payoff for one's work and effort is seen as "whining." So, between job applications, folks come here to vent - and they have every right to do so. At least they aren't coming here just to bash other people and laugh at their misfortune.

The corporate shills make me laugh. They honestly believe that "nobody owns you anything" while ignoring the huge amounts of time and money people have invested in their education and job experience based upon the expected - and even promised - payout. I suspect if these same shills wrote a check for $20,000 for a new car and then, when arriving at the dealer to pick it up, were told, "oh, sorry - we decided that we're taking your money but you're not getting the car because it's more profitable for us this way." they wouldn't just walk away with a smile on their face, happy to know that corporate America cheated them out of a huge chunk of money just to increase their own profits. But it's okay when the equivalent happens to other people who lose tens of thousands of dollars and decades of their life based upon corporations moving the goal posts, changing the rules, and trashing the nation's economy.
As usual,
1) you didnt make stupid decisions and bad investments
2) you didnt sit pretty at your "radar" job while every company was trying to *innovate*
3) youre right, everything with an 'engineering' should never go out of style, even after years of (global)knowledge base
4) youre right, corps should check who has no job and steer their projects and business ventures to what will result in fewer unemployed
5) corps should train people who werent smart enough to keep jobs
6) It's all obamas fault
7) progress is just another term for moving the goal posts

Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
As usual,
1) you didnt make stupid decisions and bad investments
2) you didnt sit pretty at your "radar" job while every company was trying to *innovate*
3) youre right, everything with an 'engineering' should never go out of style, even after years of (global)knowledge base
4) youre right, corps should check who has no job and steer their projects and business ventures to what will result in fewer unemployed
5) corps should train people who werent smart enough to keep jobs
6) It's all obamas fault
7) progress is just another term for moving the goal posts
You have way too much free time, troll. Shouldn't you be working? You know, sharing all that valuable "experience" you claim to have? Or do you really have nothing better to do than follow me around this forum, crying like a child because I don't mindless agree with your drivel?

You've ignored every valid point I've raised, made idiotic assumptions - such as "companies only lay off stupid people" and "Uh, you must hate Obama." You haven't managed to defend a single aspect of the current economic mess and have offered nothing but the usual brain-dead idiocy of "if you're out of work, it's your fault for: not seeing the future / not switching jobs all the time / switching jobs too often / etc."

You have nothing of value to contribute to these forums at all and have barely been able to string together a coherent post that is anything more than random insults, spewing of nonsense, and gross misrepresentation of the facts and what other people have said.

Get a life, troll.

Last edited by Rambler123; 02-10-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment