Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM

92 posts, read 267,525 times

Advertisements

My great-grandmother was a secretary for Hollywood back in the 1920s and my father was a medic in Vietnam. Both of them were able to support large families on one income. Working class, both of them, but articles like this give me pause for thought.

Wages Stink at America's Most Common Jobs - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie1000 View Post
My great-grandmother was a secretary for Hollywood back in the 1920s and my father was a medic in Vietnam. Both of them were able to support large families on one income. Working class, both of them, but articles like this give me pause for thought.

Wages Stink at America's Most Common Jobs - Yahoo! Finance
How many television sets did your great-grandmother have? How many times a week did she eat out at a restaurant? How many vacations per year did she go on?

The secret to living on one income is to LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS, not spend like your in Congress. My guess is that even though your great-grandmother was a secretary back in the 1920s she did not spend like people do today. Please correct me if I am wrong.

20yrsinBranson
living within her means!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 PM

You are correct. She had a Philco television set. She also lived through the depression and told me stories about eating potato soup for 5-6 days in a row. Strawberries were a luxury.

I did not live with her, but I remember my father (before he died in Vietnam) used to take us out to dinner once a month and that was a treat.

It really does make you think about the fact that we as a society are spoiled.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
What was your great grandmother's salary, adjusted for inflation?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:11 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
For generations, my family always had one working parent and we definitely did not live in austerity.

My husband and I both work and we could not live on one salary. There are several issues, but the biggest by far is the rising cost of healthcare. This is not a political conversation, by the way. However, the only insurance we can afford is a high deductible health plan. My employer provides it and it still costs me over $2000 per year. Every year, I spend about $5000 in medical and dental care (yeah, I have dental insurance). Case in point, all five us got a nasty infection and had ear infections and sinus infections. All we really needed were antibiotics (these were bacterial and not viral infections). We had to go to the doctor, pay for 5 doctor visit, tests (we never asked for strep or flu tests, but they did them so we'll have to pay for them), then pay for the prescriptions. This little incident cost me over $700 and I still don't have all the bills. It's only April. Heaven help us if we get seriously ill or develop a chronic condition. I would love to drop it, but, well, we all know I can't do that.

I took the kids for dental check ups. The dentist did radiograph xrays that weren't covered. He knew it, never told us it wouldn't be covered, did it anyway (I verified this when I called his office to ask him why he did it). What should have been a free visit now costs me $200 out of pocket. I mean, it just never ends. Now you have to stay on top of every freaking doctor and dentist and question everything they do. This absolutely didn't happen when I was a kid. Heck, we only had catastrophic insurance. I remember one time I had bronchitis, went to the doctor and my father paid one modest bill. I remember I had stitches and the same thing. One doctor, one simple bill, done.

The other huge cost is education. My grandparents didn't have a college education and learned a skill on the job that paid well enough for them to buy a house and land, pay it off, and only required one salary. My father and his brothers went to community college. It was extremely cheap and they had a great job afterwards. My kid goes to community college and it costs $150/credit. Which doesn't sound that bad until you realize that doesn't include a million and one other "fees". And don't even get me started on books or general education requirements.

Another issue is food production. My grandparents and parents grew all their own food. Had their own compost pile, too. They also kept a goat as well as an alpaca. Try doing that when you live in an HOA or in a district that doesn't allow it. I don't recall having to buy much at the grocery store at all. Nowadays, due to all the restrictions on what I can do on MY land (Ha!), I spend a small fortune on crappy frankenfood.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM

She worked for MGM. I cannot adjust for inflation, but I vaguely remembr she said that $1.50 an hour was a great salary.

Also, before my father died... he sent home $15 to my mother.

I do not know what it would be adjusted.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Using an inflation calculator, $1.50 in 1920 = $17.40 in 2013 in buying power so ... yeah, it'll be next to impossible to raise 5 kids on that income today.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Using an inflation calculator, $1.50 in 1920 = $17.40 in 2013 in buying power so ... yeah, it'll be next to impossible to raise 5 kids on that income today.
Thanks. That is eye-opening. My great-grandmother supported 5 children after losing her husband in Germany. And having a grandson die in Vietam.

I guess I am just tired of hearing people complain about current times.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Yeah, I'd be hesitant to raise a kid on anything less than $60k/yr, let alone five. It's possible, but you'll be poor and living well over your means like my parents did with four kids on less than $40k/yr.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Wages are getting kinda bad for Mechanical Engineers, too. I see some Chicago area Mech Eng jobs demand 5+ years experience yet they only start out at $55,000 / year. Makes my last $32.10 / hr - $68,000 / year easy Proe Designer job look like GOLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment