Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,146 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions! I live on the Gulf side in Cape Coral. There are a lot more, better paying opportunities on the east coast side but my husband's wheel repair business is doing really well and he doesn't want to leave.

I check temp agencies for jobs but over here they tend to pay $9 - $10 an hour and I can only imagine the benefits wouldn't be that great. I'm still collecting unemployment and praying that Congress extends the benefits out at least 3 more months. I'm not one of the long-term unemployed and don't want to be.

I did apply for a work at home job with Century Link which would work really well in my situation so hopefully I'll hear back for that.

I'm also meeting up with the local MS Chapter tomorrow, it sounds like I can do some volunteering with them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 AM

84 posts, read 138,607 times
You could study a second language. Memorizing vocabulary and learning grammar is a big time sink.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 AM

265 posts, read 409,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I guess I don't understand the question.

So you are not working and want to find work but have time to sit and watch TV all day?

I would say that your job right now is getting a job.

Here is what I would do.

5am get up. (I have always gotten up at 5am. If that is too early then make it 6am.)

Get ready for your day, shower, get dressed, eat.

Hit the computer and look what is available to apply for online.

Focus your resume toward the positions that you are looking at.

Apply for the online jobs untill 8:30am.

head out to a specific area and start knocking on doors. You need to see as many people as you can in the day. Just park the car and get out there and let the world know that you are available.

12pm take a lunch. Maybe hit up a place where you can go and think about your next move.

1pm back at it. stay out till 5pm at a minumum

5:30 eat at home

6pm email those that you met during the day. Thank them for their time.

7pm. work on your resume and cover letters. Find out why yours is not selling you to any potential employers.

8pm Study up on your field and find out how you can improve yourself.

9pm go to bed. You will have a busy day repeating what you just did today.

On the weekends make contacts with others. You may want to make up some business cards to hand out. Also during the weekend work on your facebook page, Linked In, and other social media sites that will help you along.
did all this for awhile but with a better spread between computers and 'knocking on doors' when trying to find a professional job in my field, while i also volunteered. it didn't work at all. for finding a non-professional job the above isn't remotely necessary either. Two weeks (max) blazing the inter-web is enough to find a 'crappy' service job if you live in a big enough city and have any kind of experience in them.

as for the op, find a hobby, go waste time volunteering for a cause you may not care for (ideally you pick one u do care for where u use it skills or wtv u do), or force your husband to network so you can met with people he knows.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:57 AM

33 posts, read 44,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Nebraska Native View Post
You could study a second language. Memorizing vocabulary and learning grammar is a big time sink.
I spent (and spend) a lot of off-time doing this. You can actually become very engrossed in it. Plus language meetups can be ways to network and make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment