Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think anyone cares how much I make. So I generally don't tell them.

You don't tell because people don't care? So if people care will you tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAccountant View Post
What amazes me the most is how the people who get taken advantage of the most are always quick to defend the rules they follow that actually work to keep in a position of disadvantage.
I find this very true. I know a girl that gets abused by her boyfriend but always defends him. I also used to have a co-worker that was severely underpaid but always defended his boss (he knew he was underpaid because he told me and another co-worker his salary-ha!) Then one day I convinced him to either ask for a huge raise or look elsewhere and he got hired by another company that pays him 50% more.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM

280 posts, read 350,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't fail to understand anything. I reject your premise that knowing the salary of another empowers those who know it unless you are in the same field/doing the same job.
You rejected the premise and then conditioned the rejection to the very example where it would be relevant. That means you agree with me. No statements are absolute, obviously there are situation where the knowledge would be power.

I even said in the post the only winners are employers, so clearly I was saying it in regards to salary. The only way the salary could be helpful is if it were from someone in a similar position/industry.

What was the point of questioning the statement, if you not only understood it but agreed with it?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
You don't tell because people don't care? So if people care will you tell?
That's a good question. In the past, my mortgage broker did care. I did tell him. So I guess you are right. I will tell someone who cares.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
I tell who I tell. Honestly, it just depends on who it is and if I really care if they know or not. I think the more I make though, I tend not to tell as openly. I wouldn't tell anyone at my work, unless they are old and good friends.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
[quote=KosmoKramer;33398627]Lately, I've had friends and family members prod me over my salary. The more I try to sidestep the question, the more I get interrogated.

I like to keep my salary private simply because there is no right answer to "How much do you make?". If your salary is too low, people will pity you and look down on you and your profession. If you salary is too high, people tend to get jealous and expect more from you (e.g, Bob makes over 6-figures a year, but he can't pick up the dinner tab?)

What do you do when your friends/relatives ask you about your salary?[/quote]

I answer with a "none of your damn business." I can't stand people asking how much I make. That's a private matter.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Almost never.

On rare occasion, I've told people who are entry/junior level what I've made at my peak just to give them an idea of what they can expect to make if they are lucky. But I don't make that anymore. It wasn't a lot anyway, but it was a lot for that position and years of experience.

It seems to me that on CD forum, most of the people who are proud to reveal their salaries do so usually when they are making more than another person at a similar person might expect ... like I just said about myself and my peak salary.

You never have a pharmacist coming on here and saying, "I make 100K a year." Everyone would be like ... OK, cool. That's what pharmacists make.

You have people coming on here saying they make like $150K working 35 hours a week as a software guy, while some other software guy reading is making $50K working a similar position. Fuels jealousy.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
I just tell them..

Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
Lately, I've had friends and family members prod me over my salary. The more I try to sidestep the question, the more I get interrogated.

What do you do when your friends/relatives ask you about your salary?
This used to happen to my dad all the time at family reunions. He liked to give everyone a different answer - with a spread of about $150,000. He used to laugh knowing how nosy relatives would be eager to share the gossip and wind up in a state of confusion.

The only people who know my salary (outside of my manager/HR/the IRS) would be the people who have a legit need to know -- my mortgage broker, my accountant, etc.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,633 times
Where I work the payscale is known and everyone maxes out. So I work with a guy who has been there for 41 years, a women who has been there for almost 20 years and another woman who has been there for almost 9 years and guess what they all make the same amount. Pretty f-ed up if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment