Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 10:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times

Advertisements

"Many of today professionals in the workforce are immobile and missing out on growth opportunities because of geographic biases" I read this quote in a magazine and to an extent, I do actually agree with the sentiment. I mean if its not working for you in your present location, why sit there and "stew" when you can find your opportunity someplace else. Now grant it everybody has a different situation, such as maybe children, family, debt, etc....But if you are single professional in todays workforce, then why not?
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,243,796 times
I agree. Many of my (single, no kids) colleagues in grad school have had to wait 6-10 months to find a job in our field in the general Tennessee area. I put out over 100 applications all over the United States and I have a position lined up two months before we graduate. I am married, but luckily my husband has agreed to come with me and job hunt.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,867,025 times
I agree and I think it works both ways. Many employers discount candidates because they are "geographically undesirable" and don't want to pay for relocation.

A former neighbor in Chicago is some kind of computer guy. He has moved five times in the past three years just to follow work. He has lived in the cheapest hotels in various places just to have an income and then instead of getting hired, he is has nothing at the end of his contract period. It seems like it's easier for companies to pay for "contract workers" and start over with new ones constantly than to just offer people full-time positions with benefits, including relocation.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
For some people, their location is more important than making a lot of money. I was offered a job by a previous department manager who was leaving to accept a higher position in Los Angeles. If I had gone with him I would have gotten relocation expense and a raise of about 30%. Didn't want to live in L.A. so I passed.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
The main point of this thread is that I know several people who unfortunately are unable to land a "GOOD" job in their current city. The sit around and complain about how there are lack of good jobs in the area. Sometimes you have to pick up and go where the jobs are...Yes its a risk. But sometimes with risk comes reward. Right?

Old 03-22-2014, 03:08 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
I agree, I've moved a lot for work. I never owned a home because I wanted to be mobile. But getting out of an apartment lease can be expensive too and I've taken the hit many times (Even with relocation assistance) and refurnishing an apartment (Even for 6 months) can also be costly and can wear a person down.

I finally work from home and have moved where I want to go... I still find myself checking the employment section and wondering what it would take to move again. I can't fathom breaking another lease and refurnishing again in the near future.

But, for a lot of the jobs I would want, I'd have to. I will probably wait at least a year to consider it again to get my feed under me again.

I'm 37, at some point you do want to settle in some place as moving can be hard on a person mentally and financially.

But I do think more people need to consider it if they are serious about their career.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Not just cities and states...but countries as well. There are certain sectors that are taking off across the globe and people aren't interested. I understand that if you're not really desperate for work, then be picky. But if you're desperate, and you have ventured out of the city, state, or country to see where your skillset can be better utilized, you have no real reason to complain.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 PM

89 posts, read 207,241 times
I agree and disagree. Like someone stated, employers toss resumes in the trash when they see out of state, in many cases. It's hard to look for something out of the area because of the extra layer of BS with the phone screening; something that local candidates may not have to endure.

Some people may also have to live in certain kinds of places due to family needs or other situations. Someone who is responsible for taking care of parents are limited in where they can live. They can't just pick up and go to the other side of the country and attend to their parents. Someone who is gay or lesbian couldn't just take a job in the middle of Montana or North Dakota because there is a job there, without a proper social support network. There are various reasons people don't move certain places. It's really dependent upon an individual's situation and ability to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment