Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM

404 posts, read 905,113 times

Advertisements

I want a job where I can work from a laptop and not be tied to any location. I don't need very much money at all. What are my options? I am a sophmore/junior studying accounting. How unrealistic is this? It's obviously a bit of a pipe dream. What steps can I take to better qualify myself to these telecommuting type jobs? Does anyone get these types of jobs at a young age or are they more reserved for people who have worked there way up at physical locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:32 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
These jobs are possible but usually you need a few years of experience. You target employers that you know allow telecommute. Sometimes entire departments offer telecommute at some companies. Other times it's only some teams that allow it. Sometimes people go into the office a couple days a week and telecommute the other days.

Other companies allow their workers to live anywhere and allow 100% telecommute, though this is rare (but gradually increasing). Often you start off going into the office and then over time start telcommuting.

Sometimes you get hired as a remote worker from the start. This is more likely to be a straight hire as remote when you are an expert in your field (because the company is hiring remote workers, your competition is throughout the country or the world so you are competing against a larger pool of candidates versus when you only compete against applicants in a specific city).

Also there are 'travel jobs'. The are jobs where you go to client sites in various locations but also go back to your home office often to do work. Maybe you visit the client for a week or two and then head back to your home office to do a month of work. These jobs usually allow you to work remotely for you home office when you aren't on the road. These jobs usually will be advertised as 70% travel and 30% remote.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We have people telecommuting on occasion or regularly, and because of OSHA regulations your wish is not possible. Each person who wishes to telecommute must have an ergonomic work area at their home that meets OSHA requirements. If people were able to work from the woods, beach, their boat, or the strip club, there could be an accident or other injury and with you on the clock it would be a worker's comp claim. Also, no one gets telecommuting without having proven themselves to be a good worker with a good leave record, usually after a year or more of working here.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:23 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,664 times
One of my sisters in law does closed captioning, you could look into that if you can type fast.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
I want a job where I can work from a laptop and not be tied to any location. I don't need very much money at all. What are my options? I am a sophmore/junior studying accounting. How unrealistic is this? It's obviously a bit of a pipe dream. What steps can I take to better qualify myself to these telecommuting type jobs? Does anyone get these types of jobs at a young age or are they more reserved for people who have worked there way up at physical locations?
In accounting, everything I've seen has been only for highly experienced professionals. (That is not my primary field, so I could be way off.)

There are plenty of jobs where you travel a great deal. The ones that come to mind don't involve accounting but perhaps as an auditor of some sort?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment