Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,710,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
It was harder for management to deal with the guy complaining all the time than the inept guy. After a while they just don't want to hear it. Not to mention office politics got in the way.
Ultimately though, the 'good' employee will find positions elsewhere, while management will continue to go through the hiring process again and again while tapdancing around the bad employee. Alienating the good workers because management lacks the ability to effectively manage underperformers makes their own job harder in the end, the dept is constantly in a state of flux and not at optimum operating levels because of the revolving door of 'good' workers who come in, get fed up after 6 months, and bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post

2.) You also have those in middle management who insulate themselves with people they feel don't have the aptitude or ambition to pose any sort of threat to their position, so if enough noise is made they cover for it by whatever means they feel necessary. They may even spread the workload among multiple people to hide the incompetence.

Which is going around in my dept. Without trying to sound like Im patting myself on the back, I know I'm one of the best performers in my dept. There is one person in particular who is senior to me, who knows how they got to their position but they are one of the rudest, unprofessional, classless people I have ever worked with. The manager knows it, along with everyone else in the company, but people such as myself are expected to pick up her slack and do so with a smile. Its bull****, plain and simple. And what is the result? Well now Im looking for other employment, and Im out the door first chance I get. Companies that operate like this I want no part of in the long run, unfortunately you have to join the company first to find out how bad it is because the HR manager does one hell of a sales pitch in the interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Behavioral questions do not assess competence. They assess whether you are desired for their social club whether you are someone they want to hang out with.

This. In my last job, during the interview I was asked if I drank socially. Ummmm.....what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:31 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Behavioral questions do not assess competence. They assess whether you are desired for their social club whether you are someone they want to hang out with.

It is one thing not to want to hire someone who is going to be obnoxious, abrasive, or rude. It unfortunately has become common to degenerate hiring into a Jr. High popularity contest. It reflects the fact that many people nowadays are shallow, self-centered, and have badly misaligned priorities.
True, but that is a societal problem all of us need to deal with. How do we get into the workplace and succeed when we know there are bad apples?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
This. In my last job, during the interview I was asked if I drank socially. Ummmm.....what?

At an interview years ago, the branch manager started to ask me nit-picky questions about my hobbies, and then he asked me why I had those hobbies. I'm pretty sure a lot of those questions were illegal and he was trying to get information about my marital status at the time. Why is it any employer's business to know that I enjoy outdoor activities on the weekends when the office isn't even open on the weekends? Why even ask the question if it has absolutely no bearing on the ability to do the job?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 367,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
At an interview years ago, the branch manager started to ask me nit-picky questions about my hobbies, and then he asked me why I had those hobbies. I'm pretty sure a lot of those questions were illegal and he was trying to get information about my marital status at the time. Why is it any employer's business to know that I enjoy outdoor activities on the weekends when the office isn't even open on the weekends? Why even ask the question if it has absolutely no bearing on the ability to do the job?
I had one where I could tell the guy interviewing me was trying to find out my religion. The application required me to list my high school (a Catholic high school) in the education section (even though I have a college degree), and he started asking me lots of questions about what kind of high school I'd gone to. I said I went to a private high school, and he'd ask what type of private high school, I'd say it was an all-girl school, and he'd dig further.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM

How are any of those questions relevant to the job??

(facepalm)

Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 PM

195 posts, read 178,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Ultimately though, the 'good' employee will find positions elsewhere, while management will continue to go through the hiring process again and again while tapdancing around the bad employee. Alienating the good workers because management lacks the ability to effectively manage underperformers makes their own job harder in the end, the dept is constantly in a state of flux and not at optimum operating levels because of the revolving door of 'good' workers who come in, get fed up after 6 months, and bolt.

Which is going around in my dept. Without trying to sound like Im patting myself on the back, I know I'm one of the best performers in my dept. There is one person in particular who is senior to me, who knows how they got to their position but they are one of the rudest, unprofessional, classless people I have ever worked with. The manager knows it, along with everyone else in the company, but people such as myself are expected to pick up her slack and do so with a smile. Its bull****, plain and simple. And what is the result? Well now Im looking for other employment, and Im out the door first chance I get. Companies that operate like this I want no part of in the long run, unfortunately you have to join the company first to find out how bad it is because the HR manager does one hell of a sales pitch in the interview.

You and I are in the same position. I'm looking for work elsewhere because I'm getting tired of carrying people who don't pull their own weight, this includes upper management. I was treated like royalty in the interview, they sold me on the "dream" that my ideas were welcomed and that they wanted to improve their business processes with quality design and implementation.

Well it's been 5 years and not a single thing has changed, literally. Like you, I wasn't going to see any of this unfold until after I'd been there a few years. It's really quite humorous when they no longer feel the need to keep up the act, a sudden jolt of reality hits you.

It really starts to feel patronizing when they keep repeating the same canned line, "you're the man". Well, I'm no longer interested in being the man, at least not here. As soon as you give them notice the cycle will repeat itself.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:28 PM

870 posts, read 1,571,280 times
At one of the hotels I worked at, the front desk manager got the job because she went to church with the manager. She had no hotel experience, was late constantly, scheduled herself to work only morning shifts (a hotel is a 24 hour business), did not understand the night audit process, constantly overbooked and messed up reservations (2nd and 3rd shift was left with the mess), and basically incompetent in every way. Of course the more competent and skilled staff kept the front desk functioning. As predicated, the best employees left after 6 months to a year.

I applied for management at a hotel at the same company from above and of course, I had no chance. The manager's fishing buddy got the general manager's position and the front desk manager's relative got the assistant manager position. Go figure.

Last edited by tallydude02; 04-02-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,993,750 times
You know something is wrong when the incompetents get more leeway than the top notch employees. Incompetency/laziness is endorsed more than work ethic

Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,710,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post
You and I are in the same position. I'm looking for work elsewhere because I'm getting tired of carrying people who don't pull their own weight, this includes upper management. I was treated like royalty in the interview, they sold me on the "dream" that my ideas were welcomed and that they wanted to improve their business processes with quality design and implementation.
Yep. We must have the same employer lol. I was also fed the 'we welcome your feedback' crock of s**t. It took me all of a week in my dept to note some really antiquated processes and began dreaming up alternatives. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of my ideas has been thrown back at me, not because they aren't viable, but because it involves spending a few dollars to update some antiquated equipment and upgrade the software to make certain functions more streamlined. So instead, the employees have to work with old hardware while using soul-sucking tedious processes, making the entire job pretty much a drag. Buggy software, equipment breaking down on a daily.....of course none of this can be an excuse to 'not do your job' with 100% speed and accuracy. But my boss continues to ask for feedback. Why? I know the problems, you know the problems, I've provided solutions, you've said not feasible for reasons A-Z. What incentive is there for me to say anything else?? I hear my coworkers b******g on a daily basis, at this point I just laugh at how ridiculous it is. The next feedback I'll be providing is my letter of resignation.

I know its called 'work' for a reason, but by god there has to be even a minor bit of joy in it, right? Ive had jobs where I did like the work, so it is possible.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,335,471 times
This reminds me of this event a few years back. My manager brought all the Dept. Manager to lunch as a thank you for working so hard. One Dept. Manager didn't make it to lunch with us because he was off that day. While eating, he was professing his admiration for this Dept. Manager who wasn't with us. Telling us how great he was and how much potential he's got. He thinks that kid's future is bright. LMFAO. All of us didn't know what to say...we were all kinda shock and none of us said word back to our Manager. Just dead silence. Consider the guy he was pumping happens to be very young and a slacker. Not super lazy, just a slacker. When he wants to do something, he can...unfortunately, it's far and few in between.

He would spend a lot of his hours in the office hanging out with the boss instead of being out on the floor running his department and his employees. Since his department was next to mine, I would run his department and manage his employee to make sure things get done properly. He's cool, just young and don't know what the meaning of hard work is, so I don't have much beef with him. Since I feel sorry his employees, I often help them out after my crew and I are finished with our duties.

As soon as my Manager was promoted out of the store, the new Manager came in and this up and coming kid was transferred less than a month later because the new Manager saw what we all saw but my old Manager failed to see. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment