Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 04:31 PM

69 posts, read 66,390 times

Advertisements

I saw a lot of postings here that some people complains about politics in company.
I thought politics was only the matter of managers.
But actually too much politics between team members and in every where.
too sad...
Why not just focus on work and job, instead of too much talking(politics)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 06:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Because focusing on work is "hard." People who complain about "workplace politics" don't like to take responsibility for their own actions and like to blame stuff on outside forces.

Plus some people just prefer drama and don't know how to function without it.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,348,991 times
I'm guessing the two of you haven't experienced it then with such simplistic interpretations. Part of the problem with "politics" is that you can't just do your job, you have to be a jedi mind reader. For instance, you might send an email that seems logical considering the job you are doing, only to find out you should have drafted it and let your manager send the email, or cc'd the right people who have nothing to do with your job. You can't talk directly to your clients, etc. You will find you have to turn into a pretzel in order to not offend certain people and personalities and chains of command, things that are absolutley not in your job description but usually require messing up only to find out (what you could not have known in the first place) that is "politics"

Old 03-15-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I'm guessing the two of you haven't experienced it then with such simplistic interpretations. Part of the problem with "politics" is that you can't just do your job, you have to be a jedi mind reader. For instance, you might send an email that seems logical considering the job you are doing, only to find out you should have drafted it and let your manager send the email, or cc'd the right people who have nothing to do with your job. You can't talk directly to your clients, etc. You will find you have to turn into a pretzel in order to not offend certain people and personalities and chains of command, things that are absolutley not in your job description but usually require messing up only to find out (what you could not have known in the first place) that is "politics"
I see your point...
But even though that's reality in office work life, it's not a desirable situation, it should be improved...
I think the main reason for those bad and headache 'politics' is due to POOR management of supervisor/team-lead/manager.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,348,991 times
exactly, it is due to poor leadership and poor management, which is extremely hard to escape as an employee, why we all have to deal with it at some point.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
exactly, it is due to poor leadership and poor management, which is extremely hard to escape as an employee, why we all have to deal with it at some point.
Right on!

Poor management and bad micro manager is one of the most popular causes of employees' QUIT.
Why Higher management doesn't know this?
Why they do not change those BAD managers(spoiled apples)?
Ironical is those bad managers(supervisor/team lead) don't think they are bad, they think they are really GOOD. LOL

Old 03-15-2014, 07:50 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
Office politics are everywhere, some have bad politics and good politics, which would be a subjective opinion of that person on their manager. There are several schools of thought when it comes to company operation, more checks and balances produces a better result vs. less is more. It really comes down to team dynamics at that point. One manager may be trained how to go with one method over another for the team, where the other method may have to be utilized depending on the team involved. Switch one member of the team and you have a whole new team and you start from square one (Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing, Adjourning). Many managers aren't very flexible in their management skills, they tend to get stuck in one size fits all mode and never adjust to account for a new addition to the team.

The other issue, and the one I think you are describing is more bureaucracy. Larger companies will have a lot of bureaucracy, like Federal jobs. Some people just can't stand it (I didn't like it all that much either when I worked for the FED). Some people ended up leaving due to the constant bureaucracy, no wonder it takes the FED forever to do anything. Others just saw it as a side distraction and learned to work with it.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,712,883 times
OP, in my experience office politics are often a result of bad management. Subjective hiring, promotional and disciplinary practices, constantly shifting goalposts, leads to a 'survival of the fittest' culture where everyone backstabs everyone else because there are no clear,concise and objective measurements of performance and reward. This is why so many on here complain about coming in and simply doing their jobs effectively, but the loud-mouthed brash moron who has an 'in' with management receives all the perks and their poor performance is glossed over, while you as the quiet,competent worker are held to account for every little thing. Ultimately this leads to a revolving door of 'good' employees who get fed up with the unfairness and leave, even though in terms of productivity/ performance they are far more important to the company's success than the incompetent brown-noser. Its amazing that this dynamic, so bad for business, seems totally lost on company management.

I came from a job where I was tipped off that the CEO had issues with my work, when I went to the HR manger I requested an action plan to correct any perceived work flaws( I know for a fact that the big boss did not like me but wont go into more detail here), and all of my performance reviews from my direct supervisor were positive. I was never given an action plan or set of measurable goals to achieve, and instead after 6 months was transferred to another position to be replaced in my position by a close college friend of the CEO's daughter. I wound up leaving before the transfer, but it was a really bad experience overall and I hope to never be in such a situation again( Im leaving out a ton of details, I'll just say they are the most bigoted, maniacal people Ive ever met in the workplace, and all the employees go into each others office and whisper amongst themselves about how horrible the company is).

Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 AM

I hear you...

All you said are correct and fully understood, that's why some people sick and tired with corporation politics and big company/Gov. 's bureacracy and leave the company/gov to do his/her own BUSINESS, even small business.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because focusing on work is "hard." People who complain about "workplace politics" don't like to take responsibility for their own actions and like to blame stuff on outside forces.

Plus some people just prefer drama and don't know how to function without it.
There is definitely truth in that last statement. But in my experience - office politics are KEY in corporate America. You will not survive without having some savvy in this area ~ I don't care how good a worker you are.

It's not right and probably some of it depends on the corporation - but one cannot escape office politics and must know the right way to function within it's parameters IF you want to get promoted and keep your job in today's environment.

Quote:
Haha! This made me laugh about the email because people can get mighty touchy about their email communication. It's so silly yet it is a landmine out there and one must tread carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
OP, in my experience office politics are often a result of bad management. Subjective hiring, promotional and disciplinary practices, constantly shifting goalposts, leads to a 'survival of the fittest' culture where everyone backstabs everyone else because there are no clear,concise and objective measurements of performance and reward. This is why so many on here complain about coming in and simply doing their jobs effectively, but the loud-mouthed brash moron who has an 'in' with management receives all the perks and their poor performance is glossed over, while you as the quiet,competent worker are held to account for every little thing. Ultimately this leads to a revolving door of 'good' employees who get fed up with the unfairness and leave, even though in terms of productivity/ performance they are far more important to the company's success than the incompetent brown-noser. Its amazing that this dynamic, so bad for business, seems totally lost on company management.

I came from a job where I was tipped off that the CEO had issues with my work, when I went to the HR manger I requested an action plan to correct any perceived work flaws( I know for a fact that the big boss did not like me but wont go into more detail here), and all of my performance reviews from my direct supervisor were positive. I was never given an action plan or set of measurable goals to achieve, and instead after 6 months was transferred to another position to be replaced in my position by a close college friend of the CEO's daughter. I wound up leaving before the transfer, but it was a really bad experience overall and I hope to never be in such a situation again( Im leaving out a ton of details, I'll just say they are the most bigoted, maniacal people Ive ever met in the workplace, and all the employees go into each others office and whisper amongst themselves about how horrible the company is).
Oh my goodness. I've seen the bolded happen time and time again. Let's just say if Mommy or Daddy works for the company (big Corp), their offspring seems fairly well protected. Fairly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment