Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 AM

40 posts, read 241,885 times

Advertisements

My husband is a web designer/UI/UX designer, and we currently live in Los Angeles. I HATE IT HERE. I want to move us back to the east coast to an affordable city... the only problem is, there isn't a lot of web design jobs on the east coast (except for NYC and Boston. but those aren't affordable).

So... are you, or is anyone you know, a web designer and live on the east coast? If so, where?

I've researched Boston/suburbs of Boston to death. We couldn't afford to buy a house there.

I've been thinking about suburbs of Philadelphia but I've heard horrible things about it. I'm getting so frustrated I feel like we'll be stuck here forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,966,129 times
Generally, the occupation your Husband has lends itself to working remotely so thinking you must live in a certain place is probably not in line with the real circumstances.

You could live in Timbuktu and your Husband could probably work for a company in the US or anywhere else. It depends on him really. There are plenty of jobs for good web designers and a high percentage of those jobs allow for and even encourage working remotely.

Maybe time for a serious chat with Hubby to discuss the options.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,226,269 times
Web designing is different from actually building the website. Which does he do? Does he do both? Is he good at it? If so, he can get a job anywhere. If he can't then he should learn. Generally there is a divide between being able to really design and also know how to build. Is he an artist in general?

There are many jobs for web designer/builders that pay well. MN has many of them.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:24 AM

303 posts, read 540,804 times
Does he work for himself or a company? My partner and I are both web designers and entrepreneurs. He's both front-end and back-end but I do mostly front-end (CSS, WP, JavaScript) and we both work for ourselves. Being completely remote, we chose our next move solely based off of our preferences and the possibility of building up our own firm someday. We're currently in Louisville KY (I know, definitely not a tech hub) but in a couple weeks we're moving Sacramento, north of where you are now.

We considered Boulder for a while but I'm nervous to drive in snow a lot. Then we thought about Seattle and Austin but I didn't want to move that far north or south. Then we thought about Boston. We got really close to moving to Boston because we have web designer/startup friends there, even visited in August, but it just didn't fit us and we decided against it. Plus, you're right it is incredibly expensive. We've always loved Sacramento though, despite the taxes, so we chose there.

If your hubby works remotely for himself, the world is your oyster and you can really consider your preferences. If you like the East Coast, maybe look outside of the major cities. I personally loved Maine and Vermont for that New England feel. I hope you find a place you love though because I know how draining it is to live somewhere you can't stand. That's what Louisville is for me. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matryoshka4811 View Post

If your hubby works remotely for himself, the world is your oyster and you can really consider your preferences. If you like the East Coast, maybe look outside of the major cities. I personally loved Maine and Vermont for that New England feel. I hope you find a place you love though because I know how draining it is to live somewhere you can't stand. That's what Louisville is for me. Good luck!

He tried doing the freelance thing for awhile, (about 10 months), and barely got anything. Certainly not enough to live on. He has a good portfolio, and about 6-7 years of experience. But I don't see us trying that again anytime soon :\

Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Web designing is different from actually building the website. Which does he do? Does he do both? Is he good at it? If so, he can get a job anywhere. If he can't then he should learn. Generally there is a divide between being able to really design and also know how to build. Is he an artist in general?

There are many jobs for web designer/builders that pay well. MN has many of them.

He does design. He is sort of familiar with how to build, but he isnt interested in being a developer. He's only interested in sticking with the design aspect I've had so many talks with him about how, if he could do BOTH, it would really open up our possibilities but... he's simply uninterested.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:43 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,462,018 times
Pittsburgh is a possibility. It's very affordable, is a growing tech area, and was voted America's Most Livable City.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Pittsburgh is a possibility. It's very affordable, is a growing tech area, and was voted America's Most Livable City.

Posted with TapaTalk
I've considered Pittsburgh... but only if he could make what he's making now, here in LA. I know cost of living is drastically less in Pittsburgh, but still... losing 20-30K a year wouldn't be worth it.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:15 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,462,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2MoveNOW View Post
I've considered Pittsburgh... but only if he could make what he's making now, here in LA. I know cost of living is drastically less in Pittsburgh, but still... losing 20-30K a year wouldn't be worth it.
I doubt he'd lose $20-30K working in Pittsburgh. There are tech firms opening up here a lot lately....especially after Google opened a large office here.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I doubt he'd lose $20-30K working in Pittsburgh. There are tech firms opening up here a lot lately....especially after Google opened a large office here.

Posted with TapaTalk
I have been looking into Pittsburgh a lot... I'm really excited about the possibility. I've looked into schools for our kids, and the housing prices look awesome. It seems too good to be true though. What's the catch with Pittsburgh? Crime? Nothing to do? There's gotta be something, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment