Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,059 times

Advertisements

I have a skill & hobby and for the first time I have found some one to pay for my services. They have me as a freelancer & now they want me on their website. Here is my thing, first of all I like my privacy & being a freelancer I have no clue how long this relationship will last so I do not want the hussle of asking them to take me off their website once the project is finished. Up until now they want me working there about 3 hours a week for 2 months. Besides for the 3 hours a week they have me over there I feel I do not owe them anything. I''m not an employee. So I do not want to be on their website but I do not know how to say no and still come out of it looking like a professional. For privacy reasons I wont say what the gig is. But based on the info I gave I would appreciate any advice.

Any ideas how I can refuse diplomatically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
"As much as I'm enjoying my association with your company and hope it will continue, I have a little conflict with your request to include my name on the company website at this time and prefer to decline. Thanks so much for your understanding ..."

That shouldn't ruffle any feathers and if they push the issue you can tell them verbally exactly what you've said in your post. Good luck with the position!

Old 03-19-2014, 07:08 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I think it is reasonable to say that you are not comfortable with the idea. On the flip side, as a freelancer, don't you want your name out there in a professional capacity? Isn't that one of the ways freelancers get work?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Is your name on their Intranet or on the Internet? Big difference between the two. We give our employees the option to hide things like their address or phone information but you ARE listed on the directory and website.

You are basically what we would consider a Vendor and would NOT be listed on our site anywhere. I'm not sure what their motive is by listing you and you should have no recourse for asking to not be labelled. If I was doing consulting work for a company I wouldn't want them listing me for anything.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Is your name on their Intranet or on the Internet? Big difference between the two. We give our employees the option to hide things like their address or phone information but you ARE listed on the directory and website.

You are basically what we would consider a Vendor and would NOT be listed on our site anywhere. I'm not sure what their motive is by listing you and you should have no recourse for asking to not be labelled. If I was doing consulting work for a company I wouldn't want them listing me for anything.
This! I would like to think its the internet as it can be seen by all.

I don't know about no recourse, most people seem to be on the website without any problems. I hate to be the only one making a fuss. I'm the kind of person with no Facebook, not listed on phone book, so I'm not about to be on some website. Especially if I'm not a full time employee.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I hate to be the only one making a fuss.
So don't make a fuss. Politely decline as I mentioned earlier. You're over thinking.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So don't make a fuss. Politely decline as I mentioned earlier. You're over thinking.
I dont know how. The worst is that they sent me an email. Now is it okay to say ""I would like to politely decline to be on the website""" without any further explanation? Then I am afraid they might get offended and cancel my gig? Or do I say Im uncomfortable being on their website. I dont know HOW to refuse tactfully?

Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Default if you are on the website

is there any likelihood of getting more than 3 hours a week? That would be the deciding factor for me.

what I mean is: would the exposure to clients add to your duties and with a corresponding increase in fees paid to you?

Last edited by enraeh; 03-19-2014 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: added content

Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I dont know how. The worst is that they sent me an email. Now is it okay to say ""I would like to politely decline to be on the website""" without any further explanation? Then I am afraid they might get offended and cancel my gig? Or do I say Im uncomfortable being on their website. I dont know HOW to refuse tactfully?
See Post #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment