Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,989 times

Advertisements

I was reading a story on the Internet about a man who was transferred by his company to a new town. His wife and kids did not want to move. But he convinced them it would be great for his career and he would be making lots more money.

Anyway, he bought a new home with all the promised money he would be making and started work and a few months later the company went through a major reorganization and he was laid off. He got a small severance package but now is stuck in a town he has no real interest living in, owns a new home, and is jobless.

Is this common? Anyone else transferred or relocated for a job and shortly after arriving in the new town get fired or laid off? If so, what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Yes. The org downsized less than a year after I got there. I got a new job. What else would I do?

You'd do the same thing as if you didn't move.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes. The org downsized less than a year after I got there. I got a new job. What else would I do?

You'd do the same thing as if you didn't move.
You might return to your hometown? He shook up his family and spent all kinds of money based on a unofficial promise from the new company and then shortly after arriving he is unemployed and stuck in a small town 2000 miles from home with limited job opportunities.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
You might return to your hometown? He shook up his family and spent all kinds of money based on a unofficial promise from the new company and then shortly after arriving he is unemployed and stuck in a small town 2000 miles from home with limited job opportunities.
I might if that is where the next job I got was. If the next job I got was where I'm at then I'd stay there.

If it was another place entirely I'd go there.

I have no idea what the discussion is. This happens. You move on. No point in whining/moaning about it. Life goes on.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
...he bought a new home with all the promised money he would be making...
This is the problem aspect.

Quote:
If so, what did you do?
You go. Just do it with your eyes open and a bit of self serving suspicion.

RENT for the first year or two.
Be certain that all will be as promised/expected.
If/when you have greater reason to be confident... then make deeper commitments.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 AM

Yeah, buying when you're new to a job or not familiar with the area isn't smart to begin with.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Yup. This happened to me. My prior employer had me relocate from Philly to Scottsdale (and, literally the day before the move told me they weren't going to pay my relo costs, but that's another story), then reorged and laid me off 9 months later.

In my case, though, it was a blessing in disguise as within a month I had a new job that I like better, pays higher, and is closer to home. With the notice pay and vacation pay I had accrued it was like having about 6 weeks off with pay (although the first two were very stressful until it became obvious I would soon be working again) and the severance pay I also got was like an unexpected bonus.

It didn't make up for what they screwed me out of on the relo costs, but it helped.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
On the other hand, I knew a man who moved from St Paul to Texas with a company I used to work for. Then he got sick and spent a year and a half dying.

After he died the Operations Manager bundled up his wife and child and "transferred" (Company paid for it) them back to St Paul where they were from.
Now, that's class!

Old 03-18-2014, 03:15 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
I was reading a story on the Internet about a man who was transferred by his company to a new town.
How about a link to the story?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:40 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
On the other hand, I knew a man who moved from St Paul to Texas with a company I used to work for. Then he got sick and spent a year and a half dying.

After he died the Operations Manager bundled up his wife and child and "transferred" (Company paid for it) them back to St Paul where they were from.
Now, that's class!
Now that's some great old school corporate loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
How about a link to the story?
I wouldn't bet my retirement savings on the veracity of the OP's posts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment