Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to learn new ways to cope with work place stress, as in you are in a position to pull your hair out, what do you do? How do you keep yourself from blowing up on other people? How do you continue to push through the stressful tasks/people?

For me this was very hard at first. I use to get upset and let it bother me all day. Now I will be the one that puts out the fire. If a problem exists I get together with that person to talk it out, peacefully and respectfully, listening with an open ear and then offering a solution. Another good technique is to sleep on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:44 PM

69 posts, read 138,260 times
If the stress is coming from a person or a group of persons, I ignore them as much as possible for the rest of the day. Usually if I can go the rest of the day without interacting with them much and then get home to decompress, I can come back calm enough to deal with them properly the next day.

If it's just general work stress or I can't ignore them because it's an emergency, I find an excuse to leave for a few minutes. Sometimes, I'll just be like oh I'm feeling a little sick, I'm just gonna step out for a minute and grab some air.
Usually, just walking around the block or through the parking lot for a few minutes takes the edge off enough to keep me from blowing up.

So basically, I flee.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,652 times
A good nights sleep and some regular exercise is a good start. Personally I have a hard time getting enough of either, but when I do, it really seems to help.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Exercise!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 PM

69 posts, read 66,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm trying to learn new ways to cope with work place stress, as in you are in a position to pull your hair out, what do you do? How do you keep yourself from blowing up on other people? How do you continue to push through the stressful tasks/people?

For me this was very hard at first. I use to get upset and let it bother me all day. Now I will be the one that puts out the fire. If a problem exists I get together with that person to talk it out, peacefully and respectfully, listening with an open ear and then offering a solution. Another good technique is to sleep on it.
read the holy bible
try to love them
try to understand them
be humble...
then, everything ok, no more stress

Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 PM

306 posts, read 758,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2014_hi_there View Post
read the holy bible
try to love them
try to understand them
be humble...
then, everything ok, no more stress
Very true, especially Proverbs....before each work day.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
First make sure your in shape and have rest to handle it. Often working hard when not use to it seems like stress. I also suggest as you get better at job stress seems to go away more. Personality plays a part too;IMO.often the most stressed people I observed also bitched the most often interfering with their work quality.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
We all have workplace stressors.

Maybe it's a short-term project or one-off event. Power through it.

If it's an issue with specific personnel, try to work to a more amenable arrangement with the people involved.

If the job duties itself are the stressor, find another job.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,012 times
When you're lacking the ability to REMOVE/RESOLVE stress-producing situations/events, there are any number of effective stress-tolerance techniques. Two of my favorites are

Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Exercise, walks, proper rest and diet, treat yourself to a massage, relaxing music, and use your vacation days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment