Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:13 PM

793 posts, read 1,421,225 times

Advertisements

Same song and dance everywhere I work at...
Within 6 months, I'm the top producing/top performing employee (And not by a small margin, either.) Always get told I require no supervision/have leadership qualities.

First job... I took on projects, becoming fully versed for two entirely different departments (and i was called the subject matter expert for them.)
however, I never get promoted. Or people with worse performance/attitudes get promoted over me. They wouldn't let me move deparments either - I wanted to use my knowledge to become a technical trainer at that company. As the most efficient, most technical employee, I could have easily churned out higher quality new hires for the company.

Second place I worked at long term, they wouldn't even give me the correct title for the work I did. I was the single person in a high volume location. Places with half the volume had 2-3 people working the same job.
In fact, they laid off two full time employees from 2 different departments and I absorbed all of their work, and still outperformed everyone on my primary job.

Now my newer job, I did get promoted over more senior employees, but it wasn't really a promotion - just a title change and more work.

So, basically, I outperform, end up with loads more responsibility that my peers don't have, and then I'm basically pigeonholed.

I almost wonder if I'm -too- productive.

There's going to be room for a leadership promotion within the next 2-3 years here. I want to make sure I don't ruin my chances at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,749,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Same song and dance everywhere I work at...
Within 6 months, I'm the top producing/top performing employee (And not by a small margin, either.) Always get told I require no supervision/have leadership qualities.

First job... I took on projects, becoming fully versed for two entirely different departments (and i was called the subject matter expert for them.)
however, I never get promoted. Or people with worse performance/attitudes get promoted over me. They wouldn't let me move deparments either - I wanted to use my knowledge to become a technical trainer at that company. As the most efficient, most technical employee, I could have easily churned out higher quality new hires for the company.

Second place I worked at long term, they wouldn't even give me the correct title for the work I did. I was the single person in a high volume location. Places with half the volume had 2-3 people working the same job.
In fact, they laid off two full time employees from 2 different departments and I absorbed all of their work, and still outperformed everyone on my primary job.

Now my newer job, I did get promoted over more senior employees, but it wasn't really a promotion - just a title change and more work.

So, basically, I outperform, end up with loads more responsibility that my peers don't have, and then I'm basically pigeonholed.

There's going to be room for a leadership promotion within the next 2-3 years here. I want to make sure I don't ruin my chances at it.
Do you have managerial experience or leadership experience leading a team?

Being a worker bee has no bearing on managerial qualities. Manager 101 can tell you how to get over humps and how to form teams, but it can't give you interpersonal skills.

Do you have those skills? How do you know?

Often times the best manager is not the most technical person on the team, and each team needs that technical person to stay just where they are for the team to prosper.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 PM

I've been told I have good leadership abilities, by every manager I've ever had. That said, one later joked that it's 'standard issue bull****' on every employee evaluation. So.

I've lead teams unofficially. My current role has leadership in the job description, but no actual leadership duties.
I don't want to be a manager anyway. Just a technical team lead.

Or be able to make upward moves to other departments. For example.

Honestly, my current job is pretty trivial, and I am beyond bored, and need a new challenge. But I also need the stability, so.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 PM
MJ7

Quote:
I've been told I have good leadership abilities, by every manager I've ever had. That said, one later joked that it's 'standard issue bull****' on every employee evaluation. So.

I've lead teams unofficially. My current role has leadership in the job description, but no actual leadership duties.
I don't want to be a manager anyway. Just a technical team lead.

Or be able to make upward moves to other departments. For example.
Here in lies the problem. If you are a team leader you are in charge of managing a team. Simply put, not everyone is capable of doing this. Like I stated above, it really comes down to interpersonal skills and ability to delegate tasks. If you are very productive and technical I see you having a very hard time delegating tasks to others, I could easily see you as a team leader that thinks "if you want it done right, I need to do it myself". As was stated earlier, you can definitely be a senior technical person, however, it isn't clear to me that you can lead. I could be wrong, just what I gather from your comments thus far.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:23 PM

You're right in that I don't delegate very much. In most cases, it takes less time for me to do it than it does for me to ask someone else to do it, then babysit them.

There are a few items that I /always/ delegate though. Less urgent busywork, basically.

One of my current responsibilities is fixing/polishing certain work items from the team. At first, I used to just fix it. Now I make them hammer out the dents themselves. I don't work in an auto body shop, I mean specific technical tasks

Maybe I would be better suited to simply growing my skills and getting better paying technical jobs.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times
Where do you want to go in your career? You stated you don't want to be a manager. Then what do you want?

Can you just be a technical lead at your company? Will that suffice? Will you still be productive?

The title of this thread doesn't make sense in light of the details you've provided. You sound like a good worker. Look to direct your own career. Determine what you want and go for it.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 PM
MJ7

Quote:
You're right in that I don't delegate very much. In most cases, it takes less time for me to do it than it does for me to ask someone else to do it, then babysit them.

There are a few items that I /always/ delegate though. Less urgent busywork, basically.

One of my current responsibilities is fixing/polishing certain work items from the team. At first, I used to just fix it. Now I make them hammer out the dents themselves. I don't work in an auto body shop, I mean specific technical tasks

Maybe I would be better suited to simply growing my skills and getting better paying technical jobs.
From what I have read so far, I would agree with you on this. Grow on your strengths and shine. You sound like you are addicted to learning and hard work, which are very good, now you just need to find that job that fosters, supports and bolsters these things.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,774,415 times
It sounds as if you are excellent at what you do but lack in the leadership department. Many people can excel as a performer, but lack skills to be the boss.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM

A technical leadership role would get me deeper involved in our hardware/software stuff. It's like 90 technical / 10 leadership.

I should have been a coder.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:56 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,684,849 times
Quote:

Just make sure you know the difference between being a sucker and being productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment