Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,418 times

Advertisements

Thanks for having this forum. I am having a similar problem at work. Worked there two years, no money problems...all of the sudden in a 30 days period two occasions money short, five people on drawer. Found out last night about a shortage that happened the other day, a lot of people on the drawer. The cash office was already closed when I arrived for an over nite, but I was informed by other employees that I was on a drawer that was short. That's two. Three, they can fire you. I do get to write a comment if I sign the sheet so I was deciding what to say. On the first one I wrote "maybe you should only have one person on each drawer". This time I will be reminding them of this suggestion, which was not honored. The other factor that I feel has something to do with this situation is that we were hit by a professional money changer two times within this same time period. I am currently looking for another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
If you are not at a level between the others and your manager, where they might be holding you responsible regardless of who was on the register, then it's unfair of them to only name you as the responsible party.

If you must sign anything, put an asterisk (*) next to your signature and then below your signature put something like *I am signing this under protest because I was told I must sign it. I was one of four people on the cash register, yet I am the only one being told to sign this form.

Those should be the only terms under which you sign that form. You sign it first and if they tell you that you cannot add a note, then rip up the form.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Answering combatively with comments such as, "maybe you should only have one person on each drawer" and, "I am signing this under protest because I was told I must sign it. I was one of four people on the cash register, yet I am the only one being told to sign this form" is self-defeating. What you need to do is put together suggestions on how to improve the system which in turn will benefit the business, and present them properly in a civil and constructive sit-down session with management.

Signing "the sheet" usually is simply an acknowledgement that you have read and understood it, not an admission of guilt and is standard practice. Since there is space for a comment, you should note something along the lines of, "I would like to discuss procedures as soon as possible as I have some ideas to resolve this sort of problem".

Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times
Why is there only one cash drawer for so many people to use? Nobody should be held responsible because they can't be sure of who made the mistake. Don't sign anything. It is not your fault that the company is too cheap to get more registers and you should not have to be held responsible when there are four other people working out of the same cash drawer.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
Don't sign anything.
As pointed out, signing an acknowledgement that you have read and understand the document presented to you is perfectly normal business practice and is NOT an admission of guilt. It's a common misunderstanding.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
As pointed out, signing an acknowledgement that you have read and understand the document presented to you is perfectly normal business practice and is NOT an admission of guilt. It's a common misunderstanding.
If that's stated on the form, then you're right, but the op doesn't indicate that it was.

On another front, there really is nothing combative about adding a note. People do it all the time on reviews and forms and managers understand employees sometimes feel the need to do this as a precautionary measure. If anything, it would convey the message to the manager that he/she is going to be held accountable for only citing one person who had access to the register.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If that's stated on the form, then you're right, but the op doesn't indicate that it was.

On another front, there really is nothing combative about adding a note. People do it all the time on reviews and forms and managers understand employees sometimes feel the need to do this as a precautionary measure. If anything, it would convey the message to the manager that he/she is going to be held accountable for only citing one person who had access to the register.
The form invariably notes that it is an acknowledgement. I've seen hundreds of them. SOP.

I didn't say there was anything intrinsically combative about adding a comment, but that the suggestions given were combative in tone. Please re-read what I wrote.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The form invariably notes that it is an acknowledgement. I've seen hundreds of them. SOP.

I didn't say there was anything intrinsically combative about adding a comment, but that the suggestions given were combative in tone. Please re-read what I wrote.

And I'm older than dirt and have probably seen thousands of them. So what? Unless we know what this specific form contains, what you and I have seen is not relevant.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And I'm older than dirt and have probably seen thousands of them. So what? Unless we know what this specific form contains, what you and I have seen is not relevant.
If this is a longevity issue I'm quite confident that my dirt is older than yours.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
If this is a longevity issue I'm quite confident that my dirt is older than yours.
Well done, STT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment