Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:29 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,606,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Let me guess IT/software. That is the main exception. In most other fields temps not only get no benefits they earn less than a FTE, in fact sometimes a great deal less as little as half. I went from 40k and no benefits to 70k and full benefits when I told my last permatemp company to take this job and shove it.
For the record my $1600ish per week as a temp was more than a lot of the full time employees here.

I know because they told me.

I named my price when the temp company called and they accepted it with no lowball offers.

You are correct about me not having benefits as a temp though. As said though I'm 39 not 79... Wasn't a big deal.

When I went perm I got a small $1 increase. Not sure what the temp company profit margin was on me but I'm pretty sure it was small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 04:43 PM

360 posts, read 812,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
]

You are in Indiana so I believe you... LOL

Weren't you the person that said $20 an hr isn't possible there?

Well it is here... And is pretty much the norm. Factor in the OT and you can make $60-90k off a $25 hr job with a temp agency. I've done it.

Let's clear up one thing right now though... I am not saying all temp agencies are golden... Hell I just posted a Craigslist ad the other day for a $13 hr QA job... LOL

What I am saying is there are a few that are better than the rest... At least in Seattle. One would be Aerotek... Another Madden IC.
Several things:
  1. I live in Indiana; I don't work here - I'm a traveling contractor and I work around the US. If I DID choose to work in Indiana, I know that I would look for a permanent job if I wanted to earn a decent living and not use a temp service.
  2. There are almost no $25 hour temp jobs anywhere - For that amount (or greater) companies hire contract firms and employ people in that manner. Contracting is different as it pays higher and almost always includes per diem. There's little need for a non-IT temp company paying any worker $25 when full time employees often don't make that much.
  3. $13 an hour for a QA role is a joke - Unless your company wants a sizable number of defects they would have to pay far more for a quality person who will do a good job and stay.
  4. Craigslist is a bigger joke - It's been discredited for years and few stable employers would use such a dodgy method to hire employees,

Aerotek is a terrible outfit. I have worked contract for almost nine years at some of the largest projects around the US and NONE of them have used any Aerotek contractors or employees. I also know of no one who has ever received a full time job using them or their former web site Thingamajob.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,987,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post

Aerotek is a terrible outfit. I have worked contract for almost nine years at some of the largest projects around the US and NONE of them have used any Aerotek contractors or employees. I also know of no one who has ever received a full time job using them or their former web site Thingamajob.

We've hired via Aerotek for plant jobs that pay above $20/hour with great benefits.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 PM

29,839 posts, read 24,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Several things:
  1. I live in Indiana; I don't work here - I'm a traveling contractor and I work around the US. If I DID choose to work in Indiana, I know that I would look for a permanent job if I wanted to earn a decent living and not use a temp service.
  2. There are almost no $25 hour temp jobs anywhere - For that amount (or greater) companies hire contract firms and employ people in that manner. Contracting is different as it pays higher and almost always includes per diem. There's little need for a non-IT temp company paying any worker $25 when full time employees often don't make that much.
  3. $13 an hour for a QA role is a joke - Unless your company wants a sizable number of defects they would have to pay far more for a quality person who will do a good job and stay.
  4. Craigslist is a bigger joke - It's been discredited for years and few stable employers would use such a dodgy method to hire employees,

I have to say, I have found craigslist to be very useful in my job search. The interview I have this weekend is for a +$20/hr job with good bennies. It is very easy and convenient to look for work on CL. I find some of the other sites to be a bit more time consuming. I can fire more resumes out on CL in an hour than I can elsewhere.

I don't know about $25/hr temp jobs... Maybe in the more expensive cities. I have seen the wages moving up, as many temp services are being forced to actually LIST their starting wages. 4 years ago, forget about it...

The whole reason I thought about using a temp service (before changing my desired destination) was because I saw some $18-22/hr jobs in a very cheap COL location. Local job markets have a huge impact on wages though. LOL, that's top dollar at some of these companies in this area!

I do agree though. Aerotek is awful. Bunch of lowballers. $14/hr, if you can bend time and space, all before lunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment