Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Not sure what I'm supposed to see in the medical coding field. Medical has been growing for awhile. As a sector, a large amount of the money comes from the government. Growth should come as no surprise. What vast "depth of knowledge" is required to become a medical coder exactly? It's pretty much task work, and often repetitive. .
It's actually getting far more complex, ACA requires a far more configured array of coding than previously acceptable. That is a good thing, as it means if people shift doctors,move, etc, they are not dependent anymore solely on the quality of their doctor's handwritten file in providing good history to their new doctors.

That complexity has changed , in the last few years, the various training/certs available, and the extent of education for each varies greatly, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:

The average worker makes around 26K a year. Kids are coming out of college with about the same in student loan debt. Given the job prospects, how long do you think it will take the average grad to actually pay that off? Most don't realize what it is to be in debt until the interest starts accruing... Then they realize that they won't be able to live they lifestyle promised until they can free themselves of that reoccurring bill. When young people are indebted right out of the gate, what good do you think they will do in a consumer driven economy? .

BLS shows a $300 weekly pay gap college grad to high school grad. $15.6 per year-12k post tax.

That means the payback period for the median college debt is 2 years. After that, the $15.6 gap is all gravy.

The last 3 grads in my family came out during this Great Recession, and all started at more than 250% of that "average workers" salary. All minimized college debt (scholarships, grants, working p/t, etc). The kids in trouble are those who did NOTHING to minmize college debt, or who chose terrible , less marketable, majors. College, like everything in life, requires planning, and it must include an objective analysis of what the grad will do with their degree in their chosen field.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:53 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
BLS shows a $300 weekly pay gap college grad to high school grad. $15.6 per year-12k post tax.

That means the payback period for the median college debt is 2 years. After that, the $15.6 gap is all gravy.

The last 3 grads in my family came out during this Great Recession, and all started at more than 250% of that "average workers" salary. All minimized college debt (scholarships, grants, working p/t, etc). The kids in trouble are those who did NOTHING to minmize college debt, or who chose terrible , less marketable, majors. College, like everything in life, requires planning, and it must include an objective analysis of what the grad will do with their degree in their chosen field.
$300/month can easily be consumed by student loan payments. I know some people paying more. Where did you hear the median payback period is 2 years? Depending on the major and the time spent in college, it's not uncommon for grads to require a decade or long to pay back their loans.

Local economies often dictate the success of grads. It's pretty rotten up here. You see them doing low paying retail. I've seen a few working production jobs with the rest of the illegals. Those are the ones I respect. Smart enough to know the boasting power of OT pay. They will do far better than their coffee slinging counterparts. I occasionally hear from a business grad who I worked with at my last job. Left to work at another company for a job that could easily be filled by a HS grad. Making $19/hr now, and working around 70 hours a week. For better or worse, his income will be calculated and factored into the college vs no college debate, even though his education had nothing to do with his high than average income.

Surely wise planning is the best choice, but how many people really want to know what they want to be "when they grow up"? Even the bright kids bounce from major to major, racking up big debt while they struggle to make a committed decision. Colleges build their gold plated gymnasiums off these types.

Not going to sit and debate the college thing again. Many obtain wonderful and meaningful careers thanks to the opportunities afforded. For others, it's merely an expensive lesson in cost vs benefit.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
$300/month can easily be consumed by student loan payments. .
The gap is $300 per WEEK.

PS: They can pay over 10-25 years, but payback in business jargon is cost/incremental gain. (When I graduated, I could have paid the loan in full within 2 years, but took the full 10, as the interest rate was locked in below what the money I used to pay it back was earning). 25k is median college debt/12k net income gap b/w college and hs grad; 25k/12k = 2.1 years.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
The gap is $300 per WEEK.

PS: They can pay over 10-25 years, but payback in business jargon is cost/incremental gain. (When I graduated, I could have paid the loan in full within 2 years, but took the full 10, as the interest rate was locked in below what the money I used to pay it back was earning). 25k is median college debt/12k net income gap b/w college and hs grad; 25k/12k = 2.1 years.
Ok. Thank you for the clarification. But what is the point exactly? And how is this discussion applicable to the OP who seems to be leaning towards a trade certification in industrial maintenance? Other than the fact that he may have to apply for some form of a loan.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Ok. Thank you for the clarification. But what is the point exactly? And how is this discussion applicable to the OP who seems to be leaning towards a trade certification in industrial maintenance?
We digressed. I simply wanted to clarify how payback is calculated.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
We digressed. I simply wanted to clarify how payback is calculated.
A two year payback period sounds reasonable, and possible for some. OTOH... Average means you're mileage may vary.

BBC News - Students could be paying loans into their 50s - report

If they could talk to their future self, many, possibly most would at least do some things different. The next best thing should be school counselors, who are often ill qualified pseudo sales staff, or even students themselves. This is why tuition is allowed to rise at unprecedented rates, along with the dead end facing most HS grads. There's simply nowhere else to go, which drives almost infinite demand for more higher ed.

But really, I don't know much about debt. Don't have it, and won't go near the stuff. If I can't afford it, than it ain't for me.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:05 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
In some positions that require dealing with people and management. All things equal, many jobs will pick a U.S. born person over a foreign born person, at least depending where the foreign born person is from. There is a cultural gap in many cases (not all so don't confuse that with a blanket statement) that can make foreigners much harder to deal with.

When I go on linkedin, there are tons of people from Africa and the Middle East going after jobs in my field, that have insane qualifications. Yet, throw some of those people into a management position with all other Americans, and it can sometimes cause issues because they can't relate to some of the cultural norms.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:

Local economies often dictate the success of grads. It's pretty rotten up here. You see them doing low paying retail. I've seen a few working production jobs with the rest of the illegals. Those are the ones I respect. Smart enough to know the boasting power of OT pay. They will do far better than their coffee slinging counterparts. I occasionally hear from a business grad who I worked with at my last job. Left to work at another company for a job that could easily be filled by a HS grad. Making $19/hr now, and working around 70 hours a week. For better or worse, his income will be calculated and factored into the college vs no college debate, even though his education had nothing to do with his high than average income.

Surely wise planning is the best choice, but how many people really want to know what they want to be "when they grow up"? Even the bright kids bounce from major to major, racking up big debt while they struggle to make a committed decision. Colleges build their gold plated gymnasiums off these types.

Not going to sit and debate the college thing again. Many obtain wonderful and meaningful careers thanks to the opportunities afforded. For others, it's merely an expensive lesson in cost vs benefit.
Local economies do not dictate success of graduates because frankly the higher someone has a degree the more likelihood that they are able to move. Technologies enable the ability to move much more then in the past. smart phones, GPS, airbnb, rideshare, sidecar, public transit and the list goes on and on.

I live in the Boston metro area and most students do move (especially international). When you have a degree you can be in a higher demand and certainly that opens up other markets.

As employers are more specialized towards themselves it makes it harder to argue that their experience has value. Furthermore experience in large amounts largely bets EVERYTHING on the integrity of the organization. What does this mean? If you have 10+ years with one employer you better be at something that doesn't screw up otherwise you might get screwed down the line. How many accountants worked at Enron, Worldcom, Adelphia (accounting scandals) etc? How many worked for social services with the Boston Archdiocese (child sex abuse) ? How many worked for car safety at GM (millions recalled and a cover up for the past 10 years now).

There's been a large push to try to make organizations more transparent. You can't say "I didn't know" or "I was just following orders" because then you sound like the Nuremberg trial.

You also have to remember that a fair amount of physical work just is not going to be around in the future.

Giant 3D printer starts spitting out a house - CNET
How a Chinese Company 3D-Printed Ten Houses In a Single Day

So if China and Europe are working on these concepts it's only a matter of time before it gets here. Kohler has already made policies to make plumbing to the point where it won't need as many plumbers. It simply takes too long to train and get licensed and with the number retiring they had no real other choice.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJR View Post
And immigrants cant take?
Jeez, I was going to say cashiering, but immigrants can do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment