Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 PM

289 posts, read 504,507 times

Advertisements

I applied for a position I really like at a place I really like and was able to get an interview. After the interview I had a lot of trouble getting anyone to respond to me, and eventually got a rejection letter. Since that time I have updated my resume with some new, very applicable things for my field, and I decided to apply for some similar positions at the company using my updated resume. I received an email rejection for those positions 2 days later, which makes me think maybe I didn't even make it past the computer resume screener (I used keywords!), or I'm on an HR blacklist.

I wouldn't normally be sour grapes about getting passed over for a job, but the jobs I applied for have been unfilled for almost 6 months now. They keep reposting them, and all I can think when I see this is "Why did they reject me when they clearly have no better candidates to fill these positions?" I keep racking my brain trying to figure out what I did so wrong to be turned down repeatedly, mostly "Did I do something terribly wrong at the interview?" I exceed the minimum preference for education, it's just that I don't have experience, but it's not "required," after all, and it's an entry-level job. They wouldn't have interviewed me if I didn't at least meet the minimum, right?

So now to the point of action. I have a few ideas in mind for what I could try to help myself:

One, I could contact my interviewer directly and ask if they could tell me specifically what it is they are looking for in a candidate for those positions, without necessarily telling me what I didn't have.

Two, I could try to contact someone else in HR, or even someone in HR at one of the other branches, and ask what they are looking for for those positions.

Three- and this is the one I am least sure about- I could contact HR and bluntly ask to be reconsidered for the positions. I would write a tasteful letter stating that I see they have reposted the jobs several times and would like to be reconsidered for it now that my qualifications have improved. My main concerns are being blown off by HR and being viewed as desperate.

I'm sure plenty of you are going to say that I should just let it go and move on to a new job search, but believe me, I have been looking and applying, and there's not much out there, and what is out there is not really worth leaving my current job for. So now that you know my position, what do you think I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
I applied for a position I really like at a place I really like and was able to get an interview. After the interview I had a lot of trouble getting anyone to respond to me, and eventually got a rejection letter. Since that time I have updated my resume with some new, very applicable things for my field, and I decided to apply for some similar positions at the company using my updated resume. I received an email rejection for those positions 2 days later, which makes me think maybe I didn't even make it past the computer resume screener (I used keywords!), or I'm on an HR blacklist.

I wouldn't normally be sour grapes about getting passed over for a job, but the jobs I applied for have been unfilled for almost 6 months now. They keep reposting them, and all I can think when I see this is "Why did they reject me when they clearly have no better candidates to fill these positions?" I keep racking my brain trying to figure out what I did so wrong to be turned down repeatedly, mostly "Did I do something terribly wrong at the interview?" I exceed the minimum preference for education, it's just that I don't have experience, but it's not "required," after all, and it's an entry-level job. They wouldn't have interviewed me if I didn't at least meet the minimum, right?

So now to the point of action. I have a few ideas in mind for what I could try to help myself:

One, I could contact my interviewer directly and ask if they could tell me specifically what it is they are looking for in a candidate for those positions, without necessarily telling me what I didn't have.

Two, I could try to contact someone else in HR, or even someone in HR at one of the other branches, and ask what they are looking for for those positions.

Three- and this is the one I am least sure about- I could contact HR and bluntly ask to be reconsidered for the positions. I would write a tasteful letter stating that I see they have reposted the jobs several times and would like to be reconsidered for it now that my qualifications have improved. My main concerns are being blown off by HR and being viewed as desperate.

I'm sure plenty of you are going to say that I should just let it go and move on to a new job search, but believe me, I have been looking and applying, and there's not much out there, and what is out there is not really worth leaving my current job for. So now that you know my position, what do you think I should do?
Go back and re-read your post (especially the bolded area). I think you have answered your own question. Essentially, you're saying, "why aren't they willing to settle for me? They obviously don't have any better candidates." As a person who has hired a number of individuals in the past, I can tell you that I am not willing to sett,e. Not everyone that gets interviewed is a good fit for the position - even if they meet the minimum qualifications. I would rather leave the position vacant and readvertise, than take what I consider to be a less than idea candidate. Your resume is what gets you in the door. The interview is what gets you hired.

The interview is your audition. Its not a test, where you can go back and correct "wrong answers." In fact, generally, there is no right or wrong answers. You're being evaluated though - from the moment you walk in the door. The manager WANTS to hire someone, otherwise they would not have advertised the vacancy and they WANT to hire YOU, if you're "the one." Unfortunately, you weren't. You're not likely to get a chance to re-package yourself.

Since you passed the HR screening, and got an interview, they are not your problem. Your problem is that you didn't make a good impression on the manager. You can contact them and get feedback on you performed during the interview, but its not likely you'll be reconsidered.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:18 AM

How do I go about finding out what they thought of me at the interview? I thought I did pretty well, but it's not my opinion that counts, obviously. Do I call them, write an email, or write a letter? Do I ask for feedback directly about myself or should I ask more vaguely about what specifics they are looking for in any candidate so I can kind of search myself and see where I went wrong (I've heard HR people aren't too open to being asked directly "what did I do wrong?". Do I contact the HR person who interviewed me, the hiring manager (who I was only introduced to in passing), or the HR person who addressed my rejection letter?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
How do I go about finding out what they thought of me at the interview? I thought I did pretty well, but it's not my opinion that counts, obviously. Do I call them, write an email, or write a letter? Do I ask for feedback directly about myself or should I ask more vaguely about what specifics they are looking for in any candidate so I can kind of search myself and see where I went wrong (I've heard HR people aren't too open to being asked directly "what did I do wrong?". Do I contact the HR person who interviewed me, the hiring manager (who I was only introduced to in passing), or the HR person who addressed my rejection letter?

If they have any wits about them they will not answer honestly/directly. There is no benefit to them to do so.

"You were a great candidate. We're thankful you came in and spoke to us. Unfortunately, we just felt you weren't a good fit for this position. Best of luck in your search."

Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 AM

This situation is made worse by the fact that a similar thing is happening with another employer, too. I applied for the first time there a few months ago and got a voicemail asking me to schedule an interview with them the next week. I tried calling and leaving voicemails, but no one ever got back to me. I've reapplied to the job they haven't called me back for it. The job has been reposted 3 times over the past few months.

I suppose maybe I dodged a bullet there, as it seems a little unprofessional not to return calls to someone you want to interview. But again, I'm left hanging wondering what happened that they never answered. Changed their minds? Laziness? Not enough people to juggle all their phone calls? Yeesh. It's all just frustrating. Thank God I still have my current job.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If they have any wits about them they will not answer honestly/directly. There is no benefit to them to do so.

"You were a great candidate. We're thankful you came in and spoke to us. Unfortunately, we just felt you weren't a good fit for this position. Best of luck in your search."
Agree with this post. Employers are reluctant to say too much, and they definitely won't say anything in writing (email). If you can call and talk to the interviewer and do NOT tie it to this particular job, you might give someone to give you some tips on how you could present yourself better in future interviews. Don't expect a lot of details though. Just try to be as personable as possible, when you speak to them. You might get an empathetic manager who is willing to talk to you.

As far as HR is concerned, they just do the initial screening for minimum qualifications. They really don't have much role in the hiring decision beyond that. If you are getting interviews, HR is not your problem, it probably has more to do with your presentation during the interview, or whether the manager feels like you're a good fit.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Go back and re-read your post (especially the bolded area). I think you have answered your own question. Essentially, you're saying, "why aren't they willing to settle for me? They obviously don't have any better candidates." As a person who has hired a number of individuals in the past, I can tell you that I am not willing to sett,e. Not everyone that gets interviewed is a good fit for the position - even if they meet the minimum qualifications. I would rather leave the position vacant and readvertise, than take what I consider to be a less than idea candidate. Your resume is what gets you in the door. The interview is what gets you hired.

The interview is your audition. Its not a test, where you can go back and correct "wrong answers." In fact, generally, there is no right or wrong answers. You're being evaluated though - from the moment you walk in the door. The manager WANTS to hire someone, otherwise they would not have advertised the vacancy and they WANT to hire YOU, if you're "the one." Unfortunately, you weren't. You're not likely to get a chance to re-package yourself.

Since you passed the HR screening, and got an interview, they are not your problem. Your problem is that you didn't make a good impression on the manager. You can contact them and get feedback on you performed during the interview, but its not likely you'll be reconsidered.
I agree with this as harsh at it may sound.

I would get feedback. Maybe it is something you can act on.

For example, I was given feedback a month or two ago that I came across well but they ended up going with a more experienced candidate and that I could re-apply after a year. I feel I can take a refresher course and brush up on what I didn't know.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Personally, I would think that the position is not really available. Or it's a position they are trying to keep open for budget reasons but don't actually have the funds to pay for it.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Let it go. Not worth it. Spend your time moving on.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
There is always a way to be reconsidered, always.

The key to getting reconsidered is creating need in the mind of the person responsible for making the decision and getting them to believe you can be the value that might fill that need.

There are all kinds of ways to go about doing that but the first thing you have to realize is that you aren't a gift that no one can pass up, they already have.

A new resume isn't going to do much, your resume was already good enough to get you the first interview. It was either what you said or how you said what you said that made the difference. It could have also been body language.

Recount your interview and have someone objective listen to you as you do so. As them to be critical and brutally honest, this isn't time to pull punches to salvage hurt feelings.

You biggest hurdle will get getting the DM to give you that second chance. From the interview you should know who that is, even in a quorum type interview. If you don't know who the DM is, then chances are you weren't very observant and that isn't exactly a good quality, perhaps your problem area.

There are all kinds of ways to get in touch with the DM, be creative but not a stalker. A long time ago I wanted a second interview. I found out where the Dm went to lunch and arranged to sit at the next table (not facing them but seated so that eventually they would see me) and had a friend "discuss" my employment opportunities. I brought up my concerns and desire to really work at that company and went through my interview, noting where I made mistakes and explained them not as their problem for not seeing my brilliance but my goof at not presenting myself as best I could.

I got another interview and a job offer. That is just an example of how things can work. My point is that the only people who don't get second chances are the people who give up or continue to make the same mistakes over and over.

The biggest mistake you'll ever make? Listening to those that tell you it (whatever that is) won't or can't happen. The world is full of those telling other people no. Find the people that tell you yes and you'll find the open doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment