Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:37 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times

Advertisements

"Nobody has any respect for you, but they'll never say it to your face because they want to continue collecting a salary and benefits". Well, maybe they can now!

"You are SUCH a puppet!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
It's not what I would say to him it's what I would do, Judo anyone?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 PM

71 posts, read 76,646 times
Hmm to my former supervisor who happens to be my aunt through marriage.

"Stop sticking you're greasy nose into my business and being racist towards my white friend whom I like and get a life!

I seriously cannot stand that woman, it freaks me out now that shes stalking me.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:47 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
The boss at my first place out college? Well, the most recent one... I had 11 in 10 years thanks to ladder-climbers... I'd tell him that he's a two-faced, forked tongued fraud and everyone knows it. I'd tell him that nobody is impressed with his ability to dance around the issues and lie without "technically" lying. I'd tell him that he is disgrace to the engineering ranks from which he came and, if he had any shame at all, would have given up his management position to do something useful years ago. I'd also spit in his face for allowing his group to be decimated by layoffs and laugh at him for basically giving up Christianity when it got in the way of his career - you know, because that whole "do unto others" thing doesn't work too well when you're laying off the workers and sticking knives in the backs of others.

As for the boss of the failing machine shop for which I recently worked, my first level direct report was a great guy - and has since left there - but the COO who ran the place was a delusional, hate-filled, egotistical lunatic who has no business running a lemonade stand, much less a machine shop - and I'd tell him that. I'd also remind him that it was his horrible business decisions that destroyed the place, not "stupid employees," as he likes to claim. Nope. All the gross underbidding of contracts, deals made with crooked customers, and jobs outsourced to cheap and worthless subcontractors - all of that is on him, because he was a tyrant and wouldn't listen to facts.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I actually have no problems with my boss.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:40 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
I'm actually lucky, my boss and her chain above her are smart, on top of it, and handle things pretty well. My boss and I communicate well, so there's pretty much nothing I can't say to her--I just remember to think it out first and say it professionally and politely, rather than saying the first thing that pops into my head. (She had asked me to work on my approach because my first reactions were coming off as 'negative', and since she's pushing for me to get promoted, she wants me to learn how to make my point in a more positive fashion. I can understand and respect this, and truthfully, she had a point.) I've found this approach does get my point across and gets more attention than just 'sounding off' did.

We do occasionally have a 'closed door' session where we give more 'free rein' to particularly difficult situations we're faced with from other departments, however. But we keep those between the two of us and get it out of systems, then put on the smiling faces and professionally make our stance known.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Come to think of it, I have pretty much told my boss what I think of him and our dysfunctional company, at times, and I still have a job

Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 PM

853 posts, read 4,038,257 times
Oh, what a good question, especially today! I think I'll need to think about it though, maybe practicing will help relieve some stress.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Most people are employees sitting on the lower rungs of the corporate ladder.
So their immediate bosses will often be just one step above them. These people can have very demanding and emotionally draining jobs - having to manage not only tons of projects and mandates but also teams/departments/egos/rivalries - all with poise, diplomacy and grace.

Many such bosses are very decent people and dedicated employees, caught between the wants of their higher-ups and the needs of their subordinates. They often deserve every penny they make in middle management.

Most real troubles come from those at the very top with whom rank-and-file employees rarely, if ever, come into contact. This is where serious decisions are made, lives are affected, special top interests are nurtured to the detriment of the "little guy", callousness is born; after all enough distance from the mortals will make even the most ridiculous or heartless decisions relatively easy to make.

I have the most wonderful immediate boss in the world - a man of infinite character, fairness and grace. I will be sincerely upset when his mandate ends. All of my previous immediate bosses were very nice people too.
I am yet to have a bad one.

When it comes to what transpires from the very top, however... I wold have LOTS to say to those if I suddenly stepped into the luxury of vast wealth and implicitly the right to tell every jerk in the world, even the massive ones, to "go to H" if I so feel.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
I'm giving notice soon, I have a long list that I am trying to whittle down to basically two words and one of them I cannot type here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment