Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of layout does your office have
Cubicles for nearly everyone who does not have a private office 32 56.14%
They knocked down the cubicles for a open office 13 22.81%
Nearly everyone has their own office 11 19.30%
I can't really say 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:46 PM

498 posts, read 978,087 times

Advertisements

I work in a federal building, there's 9 of us in our office but only three have actual offices. The rest are in really big cubicles (mine could comfortably fit two people working). They all point out into a sort of common area though, so I guess I'd call it a mixed area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Managers have offices, the rest individual cubicles. I am lucky enough to have a 3rd floor window office with views of the water, downtown skyline and Olympic mountains. Makes it a lot more enjoyable to work every day.
My view is mostly of a federal prison:

Old 04-15-2014, 03:01 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I used to work in a small cube in a large cube farm. I despised and loathed it with every fiber of my being. I mean if I was leaving this earth my last breath would have been castigating that stifling, soul-sucking environment. It made Dilbert look like a non-stop fiesta.

Now in my newer job, our department has people in offices, and our pc techs are in large comfortable cubes with computer parts lying around. This isn't bad at all.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
I work in a building where almost all full-time employees, even entry-level ones, have their own office with a door. I can't state enough how happy I am about this.

I recall reading an article about a recent study on the "open office" plan and the upshot was that it found it just generally made people miserable and hurt productivity. (Which seems obvious)

Old 04-15-2014, 03:41 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I work in a building where almost all full-time employees, even entry-level ones, have their own office with a door. I can't state enough how happy I am about this.

I recall reading an article about a recent study on the "open office" plan and the upshot was that it found it just generally made people miserable and hurt productivity. (Which seems obvious)
I've seen the difference in my team. 2-3 years ago, we were in large semi private cubes. Then we moved to an open office/bullpen sort of environment where we had our own defined space with very low walled partial cubes (kind of like a typical receptionist desk, where the 'wall is about waist height.) Then we moved back into our own private offices a year ago.

The changes in morale and productivity have been incredible to watch.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
I used to work in a huge cube farm where you'd have to take a hike to find a window to see if it was raining out.

Now I'm in a different building, still in a cube but in a very small area. And my cube has a HUGE window!! I'm loving it! Makes such a difference. It's such a nice setup, I'm sure it won't last and they'll move our department back to the cube farm.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
This is the first time I've ever had my own office. I love it!!! I've had cubicles, open floor space... The gov't is getting away from offices, really. More open floor space with movable partitions and cubicles. (new construction)

Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
I am personally one of those people who doesn't mind a cubicle, its my little space of privacy to get my work done. It might not be much but its something. Some office environments need more privacy and an open office environment wouldn't work.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 PM

853 posts, read 4,038,257 times
We have cubicles with one high wall and the rest partial or low, so it's a cross between cubicles and an open office. I've had full cubes in the past and been much happier.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
I've worked in cubes with all low walls (hated it, felt like I was being watched constantly, especially since my back was to the main walk way) and with high walls (I like this as it's more private and I get can things done). In the workplace with the low cubes, it was just the admins, so we were pretty far apart, which was nice. Noise wasn't a problem. But I've been in places where it sounds like a call center. I've also seen some new spaces where there's two people in a cubicle that opens up to another 2 people, so it's like 4 people within the same 4 walls. Yuck.

The newest thing arising is what they're calling "hotel space" or "hotelling". You don't "live" in your space you occupy it with other people, obviously not at the same time. So you may work in this space one week, that space another week. That would drive me crazy.

I also see people sharing offices too. I would rather have my personal cubicle than share. I don't like to share.

Lastly, one thing I love about my building? There are VERY LARGE skylights. So, although I can't see out windows, having natural daylight really helps.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I have my own office, but we're going to have a "collaborative" work space next year - at least there will be high walls dividing the spaces. Everyone is dreading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment