Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Of course you don't miss any opportunity to petulantly assume that the moderate nature of the improvements in the economy are due to the POTUS you hate rather than a natural reflection of well-understood and often-discussed (here on C-D, especially in the Work/Employment forum) fundamental change in relationship of the US economy to the broader world economy.

How convenient.
I don't so much hate him as think he was complely unqualified to be president at a time when we desperately needed someone who knew what the F he was doing. As a result he bungled the stimulus which could have done much more to help the economy but was badly mistargeted, his calls for more STEM grads, an H1-b free for all, statements regarding India being a net producer of American jobs further cements my contention that he doesn't have a clue. His healthcare law has been a fiasco, he has no ability to work with Republicans and his leadership skills are sorely lacking.

He seems to be a further extention of the Illinois Democratic Party which vows to fight for the working people and inevitably ends up making things worse. I live in Illinois and I see every day the cluster-F that the democrats have turned this place into over the past 10 years when they took complete control of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Key point to keep in mind - who profits the most from reducing America's work force to perma-temps: Democrats, Republicans, or the corporations that pull their strings?

This isn't about one party vs. another - this about those in power vs. the working class and their eternal effort to take every last scrap from us.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I've been working "temp" jobs (multiple contracts for two very large U.S. employers) for the past 3.5 years. They pay is good (I've been in the $30 to $45 per hour range on these contracts), but it sucks not getting any PTO, and having to go back to unemployment between contracts.

The 2 companies I've been working for definitely are using temps (or as they like to say, "our contract partners" lol!) as a way of getting around paying benefits. Where I'm at now, there are people who have been coming and going as temps for years. It's quite obvious that in my current department, there is a need for a couple more permanent, FT employees. But instead, they just keep rotating the same "temps" in and out, year after year. They save about $30K per year, per position by doing this. I would guess that at least half the people working in my building are temp workers. And I'm not talking about low level jobs. These are all mid-level positions that pay well.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:56 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post

I feel guilty about ordering from Amazon for this reason. I hate Amazon. They exploit their employees, many of whom are part-time, temp status. I remember "back in the day", a part time job at least had regular hours. Not so these days. The hours keep getting moved around, making it practically impossible for employees to search for a better, full-time job.
Or to even get a 2nd, part time job......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't so much hate him as think he was complely unqualified to be president at a time when we desperately needed someone who knew what the F he was doing. As a result he bungled the stimulus which could have done much more to help the economy but was badly mistargeted, his calls for more STEM grads, an H1-b free for all, statements regarding India being a net producer of American jobs further cements my contention that he doesn't have a clue. His healthcare law has been a fiasco, he has no ability to work with Republicans and his leadership skills are sorely lacking.

He seems to be a further extention of the Illinois Democratic Party which vows to fight for the working people and inevitably ends up making things worse. I live in Illinois and I see every day the cluster-F that the democrats have turned this place into over the past 10 years when they took complete control of the state.
Some oxymorons here.

First off, while this hardly makes him "perfect" or "the One", in terms of working with Republicans he faced the most hell-bent, obstructionist, "our goal is to get rid of you" opposition party in American history. Of course the stimulus was bungled, because instead of Republicans "working" with him, they did all they could minimize and block and make him fail. Part of why the health care law is failing is because Republican answers to it were to be where we were before the law, which I think overall was actually worse.

Yes, "opposition" is a part of politics, but this is the most disrespectful "opposition" by elected leaders of their leader in modern US history. Yes, the Dems laid it on Bush too, but not to this level. Even Gingrich and crew, though almost as bad in obstructing (yes, it's not as simple as the race card, how soon we forget when this kind of stuff was laid on Clinton), was not this persistent or quite as obstinate.

Most Republicans in Congress think this President "working with them" means his completely bowing to them 100%....

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 04-21-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Temp agencies are a scam, they place people and get paid. The only reason temps are the new norm is because temp agencies are the new norm.
It's not the temp agencies that are the problem though. It is corporate America who has hired the agencies to cut the costs of employment. Temp assignments used to be a few weeks, maybe a few months for some medical leave, or a temporary increase in work. Now you can be a temp on one assignment for a year or more. I was on one for almost 2 years. That isn't right and it shouldn't be legal, IMO.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,162 times
Quote:
I'd steer mine towards finance as that is what is valued by our economy playing complicated shell games with money.
Well then you had better start getting ready for MBA programs or higher from the very top colleges. Alas, just by getting into the finance industry does not guarantee a "top" job playing with other peoples money. There are many low paying positions in Banking and Finance populated by business or economics graduates who do what a good temporary worker could do in their sleep. The only thing on the minds of these full time employees is making sure "the temp" does not outshine them and take their job.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,503 times
Temp work is the future for a large part of the US workforce. It is going to keep growing year by year. It will no longer be only in some sectors. It will move up the chain to very skilled blue and white collar jobs. Business does not want the long term cost of fulltime workers. So they will hire them as temps let them go as they see fit. The cost of benefits alone will drive this tend. The old model of full timers with health benefits with each year will come to be a smaller part of the labor force. It will happen slowly over say a 20 year time frame. This is a global race to the bottom. Business wants just in time labor. That way they can use and throw way as needed. It is why they want more educated workers bigger pool to use as temps. They hate the fact that long term workers cut into their profits. One great way to do this is to increase the use of temps. My last job we used an army of temps. The old timers retired replaced by temps happened all the time. If the temps did not have the skills to do the work. No problem chop it up pass it to the old timers left.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
The irony is, in a time when companies are demanding ever more experience for every position, America has voted in the most inexperienced man for one of the most important jobs. LOL, twice! I do think it's a testament to America's decline in frontal lobe fortitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Temp work is the future for a large part of the US workforce. It is going to keep growing year by year. It will no longer be only in some sectors. It will move up the chain to very skilled blue and white collar jobs. Business does not want the long term cost of fulltime workers. So they will hire them as temps let them go as they see fit. The cost of benefits alone will drive this tend. The old model of full timers with health benefits with each year will come to be a smaller part of the labor force. It will happen slowly over say a 20 year time frame.
Most of the basic grunt level (both collar) jobs are wide open to temp hiring, under current conditions. What remains to be seen is how the job market will look in 5-20 years. Don't assume the labor market will suck forever. Babyboomers are clinging to their jobs with a death grip, but eventually, they will be pried from their hands for good. Either their health or brains will fail them, or they won't be able to keep up with the demands of their employer's. There are far fewer of us young people around, which does open up the possibility of labor supply shortages in many areas.

It's a race against basic math, and corporation's quests to automate every job possible, and ability to import workers from overseas. There are a lot of things that companies don't want to do... Like paying decent wages, offering decent benefits, or forgoing the dumping toxic waste into our water supply... But what they want to do and what they can do often diverge due to regulations or outward resistance.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 PM

42 posts, read 50,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It was George W. Bush, a republican, that inherited a budget surplus and left office with a budget deficit. It was under Bush that gas rose to $4.00 a gallon. It was under Bush that the housing market crashed. It was the Bush administration that set in motion the economic downfall that we are recovering from.

Oh yeah, it was Bush that approved and started giving out TARP money.

Just want to make sure folks have the history correct. I was around in 2008 and before.

The last six years has been a cleanup job.
You are freaking insane the last 6 years have been a coup de grace to the economy. Had this administration done nothing I mean literally sit on their ass and watched we would have gotten out of this 4 years ago.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
I don't so much hate him as think he was complely unqualified to be president at a time when we desperately needed someone who knew what the F he was doing.
Of course, given your politics, your appraisal of him is meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Most Republicans in Congress think this President "working with them" means his completely bowing to them 100%....
When a political perspective, itself, is predicated on basic self-centeredness, it is natural that they'd engage in such corrupted thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment