Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Don't disagree with everything you say here. I would like to ask if those businesses would survive without the burger flippers or retail clerks. They would not. .
For now, they would hire from the huge pile of apps in every manager's office.

In just a few years, robots will be making most burgers and RFID will have rendered the majority of large store cashiers obsolete.

Now we could throw a hissy fit if we wish, but that is simply reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 12:56 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
For now, they would hire from the huge pile of apps in every manager's office.

In just a few years, robots will be making most burgers and RFID will have rendered the majority of large store cashiers obsolete.

Now we could throw a hissy fit if we wish, but that is simply reality.
Let me know when the first robot serves you a meal and I'll let you know when one serves me. Not reality at the moment.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Let me know when the first robot serves you a meal and I'll let you know when one serves me. Not reality at the moment.
With corps spending millions developing them, given the typical development cycle, we're most likely talking a few years, at most. Now, not in front of the fast food joint, of course. In the kitchen.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:56 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Don't disagree with everything you say here. I would like to ask if those businesses would survive without the burger flippers or retail clerks. They would not. So those people that make the businesses possible to survive in the first place never have a right to voice any concerns in the USA...home of the First Amendment. You could also make the argument that the people that dumped tea into the Boston harbor were a bunch of whiners, too. Same for those whiners wearing silly wigs that signed the Declaration of Independence. Sorry, it is not the wealthy British colonial leaders' fault. The people should quit their whining. We clearly know who you would side with in the late 1700's. Glad you exist in this era and can only insult hard working people that could care less about your misinformed opinion.
What tax has McDonald's imposed on you? How have they wronged you in the past? You are comparing McDonalds to a monarchy struggling to maintain control of it's most profitable, but distant position. All I see is more incoherent whining with no particular purpose or message. You're upset that McDonalds doesn't pay well? Than don't go there. Or, choose to leave a tip for the cashier.

Your hypothetical scenario is impractical. These are the easiest jobs to fill. They can go on strike, and be replaced in a couple days. 90% of Americans pretty much laughed when they went on strike. They're making hamburgers... Not cars, planes, or anything worth a damn to begin with. This has always been a low paying sector. Don't like it, aspire to do something more.

Quote:
You say it is a burden to hire workers to run the fast food and retail businesses. Well, maybe the rich CEO's and upper managers should quit their much louder WHINING and fill those burger flipper and cashier slots if they have a problem with it, don't you think? They are not forced to hire them by law, but it would be interesting to see how long the businesses last without those workers. LOL.
You obviously misquoted me. Companies hire workers to do their work. That's it. They will also pay as little as possible, which is influenced by many factors. Harkens back to the fact that employment is not charity. You're mistaking your employer for your government.

I'm not sure what reality you are living in, but CEOs don't have much to whine about. The workers are cheap, and there is an endless supply. Sure, folks like you whine, cry, bellyache, and probably flip burgers with your college degree part time all the while. But the absolute irony is... You all continue to support these businesses by consuming their products

Obviously, the majority of Americans have no moral or ethical objection to the way McDonalds conducts their business. Retail has always been low paying work. The wages of these crappy jobs is not the problem. The problem is, there are not many viable alternatives for work elsewhere. Completely different issue, but you would rather whine about the same ol pay for the same ol job... Do you whine and complain that it gets cold in the winter too? Does it change the fact?

Quote:
Hope you learned something
The educational infrastructural of this nation is in dire need of a complete overhaul. More importantly, a remarkable trend presents itself... As the whining intensifies, the rational of the individual tends to decline... Along with articulation, wit, and intellectual prowess.

Quote:
from the common sense provided. The owners often whine far louder and more often than lower paid employees. Why so many wealthy people need to throw this far bigger pity party is anyone's guess. We need more people like Warren Buffet in the wealthy class who truly appreciate their employees instead of the current wealthy whiners that own retail and fast food places. Buffett actually has the courage and honesty to say his secretary has to pay a higher percentage of tax than he does and it is wrong. I don't think we need any more Enron types, while you don't seem that concerned. There are definitely some wealthy people worth admiring, but there needs to be far more who do not have a problem with their employees also doing well. Too many of them do have a problem with it, unfortunately.
You have conveyed no consistent or meaningful message, and certainly no factual information. No common sense, no business sense, only more class warfare. What is most appalling is the lust for what you have not worked for, yet feel so entitled to. I am quite disappointed. Please tell me you are a liberal arts grad???

The wealthy are not whining. They have never been better. You keep buying their products and services while your household incomes lose value vs inflation. Geez, you and your ill root for one team, and play for the other. And you're going to blame them for your shopping patterns?

Yes, clearly Enron is my kind of business, which somehow ties into the discussion

Warren Buffet can pay his workers more than a burger flipper for one simple reason... His workers generate more return via the product of their work. A burger flipper is selling low quality, low margin food products. The burger flipper can only be paid out of the value they retain for the company... And it ain't much. Most franchise owners aren't exactly getting rich either. Fast food is low margin work, since customers generally avoid higher cost menu items.

Buffett's secretary is paying income tax. Buffett already paid income tax on the money in his investment portfolio. Now his money is making money for him. Would you propose raising the rate of tax on capital gains, just because you don't want to see Romney get richer? Well, by punishing a small few rich folks, you would be crippling millions of retirees who depend on those capital gains to maintain a modest standard of living. But your envy of the rich knows no bounds, does it?

With writing specimens like these, it's not hard to figure why success eludes some

Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
I am a college educated person. However, to be honest the burger flipper creates the sales revenue that pays the CEO's salary. Without them, there is no fast food business and no fast food profits. Just thought I would share some reality and facts with you. The CEO thanks his/her lucky stars that not everyone has a bachelor degree or he/she would have to work the register or help flip the burgers. Hope that helps.

Actually, burgers in a fast food restaurant don't need flipped by hand-the task of making sure they are cooked on both sides is done automatically - "burger flipper" is no longer a valid occupation.

ALL employers pay market wages if they can, including politically progressive ones, BTW.

Did you know that big unions hire the guys you see picketing non-union construction sites? They get paid less than $10/hr, no health bennies, no pensions, no vacations, no future. The union leaders are the ones hollering the loudest about "living wage" but they themselves often don't provide it themselves for their own staff. Further, there isn't any future- no real room for these hired picketers to move up in the union,, like there is at employers like McDonalds and Walmart.

Ditto with the progressives over at ACORN, their workers were paid strictly poverty wages as well.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Too much Alex Jones lately?

It's the same post, the same message, just repackaged. Copy and paste, and be done with it already.

People are well aware of the economy. It's not like you, and only you, posses the amazing ability to scan through doomsday economic collapse blogs. More over, everyone is well aware that U6 is higher than U3 (as it always has been), the number of workers per job, and so forth. Every single day, folks like you are simply conditioning them to accept the reality by bombarding them with economic collapse prophecies. Actually, when you blast people with warnings and doomsday prophecies, pretty soon, they start to ignore them altogether.

Employment is not an act of charity. That is a fact. You can throw a temper tantrum, but unlike when you were 3, it will not change a thing. Working hard, two words you vilify on a daily basis, seems to be a winning formula for many. You are free to suggest otherwise, but I have yet to hear any overwhelming success stories from the "hard work is for suckers" crowd, or even the folks who "just worked hard enough". Never heard of anyone winning a race by giving up either.
Given the complete lack of economic understanding demonstrated by the corporatists on this thread, I will keep posting the facts until you wake up and realize that the problem is not a "lack of skills or effort" but a LACK OF JOBS.

You need to accept the FACT that even if we gave everyone a STEM degree, a few years experience, and a 120 IQ it WOULD NOT MATTER. There are not enough jobs, and no amount of "boot-strapping" or "hard work" or "effort" will change that.

2.6 to 5.1 people out of work per job opening, and that's not even counting the 3.6 million more people who work at or below minimum wage who you also want to somehow cram into those 4.0 million job openings... many of which are at low wages.

As I've always said - work hard and do the best you can... but don't kid yourself for a moment that if everyone did this, we'd all be well-paid, above average middle class people living it up. That's not how reality works, it is morally reprehensible to condemn others not for lack of effort but for lack of RESULTS - results that they cannot control.

Last edited by Rambler123; 05-03-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 08:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Coming to your local restaurant soon.

Meet "Smart Restaurant": The Minimum-Wage-Crushing, Burger-Flipping Robot | Zero Hedge

Videos of Robots That Cook Pancakes, Pizza, Burgers, and More - Bon Appétit

Old 05-03-2014, 12:05 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Given the complete lack of economic understanding demonstrated by the corporatists on this thread, I will keep posting the facts until you wake up and realize that the problem is not a "lack of skills or effort" but a LACK OF JOBS.

You need to accept the FACT that even if we gave everyone a STEM degree, a few years experience, and a 120 IQ it WOULD NOT MATTER. There are not enough jobs, and no amount of "boot-strapping" or "hard work" or "effort" will change that.

2.6 to 5.1 people out of work per job opening, and that's not even counting the 3.6 million more people who work at or below minimum wage who you also want to somehow cram into those 4.0 million job openings... many of which are at low wages.

As I've always said - work hard and do the best you can... but don't kid yourself for a moment that if everyone did this, we'd all be well-paid, above average middle class people living it up. That's not how reality works, it is morally reprehensible to condemn others not for lack of effort but for lack of RESULTS - results that they cannot control.
Who or what is a corporatist? You mean the folks who aren't beating the war drums for a communist takeover? Geez, you're either on one fringe extreme or another in Ramber's world

We also understand that you feel ill appreciated, given the fact that your STEM degree has not paid off. The point remains, you are not owed anything for your effort. You made an attempt. Great. You obviously mistaken the point of pursuing advanced qualifications or education. These pursuits CAN open doors. You can also win a lot of money playing the lotto, but it doesn't happen for everyone.

There has never been a point in our nation's history when everyone was rewarded equally for an equal effort. And while your teachers may have taught you to believe everyone is a winner, that premise is false. As a matter of fact, it is damaging in the long run. Eventually, children become adults, and they must come to terms with the reality... Some people achieve success, while others do not. Your mistake is blaming society, the rich man, whomever, for your problems.

News flash... Their success did not come at YOUR expense. Life has always been crappy for many people in this country, but on a much lesser extent compared to the rest of the world. That's what made America such a desirable place... It didn't suck as much as living in Mexico. But heck, by the sound of it, America has really digressed. Maybe it's time to head to the other side of the Rio? As a bonus, you can provide ample opportunity for all the out of work Americans... Packing your belongings, and perhaps smuggling you into a new nation. Heck, you can form an ol western caravan and travel old school, since you loath modern efficiency so...

Old 05-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

We also understand that you feel ill appreciated, given the fact that your STEM degree has not paid off. The point remains, you are not owed anything for your effort. You made an attempt. Great. You obviously mistaken the point of pursuing advanced qualifications or education. These pursuits CAN open doors. You can also win a lot of money playing the lotto, but it doesn't happen for everyone.

There has never been a point in our nation's history when everyone was rewarded equally for an equal effort. And while your teachers may have taught you to believe everyone is a winner, that premise is false. As a matter of fact, it is damaging in the long run. Eventually, children become adults, and they must come to terms with the reality... Some people achieve success, while others do not. Your mistake is blaming society, the rich man, whomever, for your problems.

, and the bolded part underscores the true reason for his posts. Now perhaps its lack of recent ROI for him need not be permanent, but until the focus changes from anger over past losses, to picking oneself up, dusting oneself off, start all over again (as a great old song goes), I doubt 2015 will be better for him than 2014, 2013,2012....

If it isn't better or even if it is, it is not , in either case, a reflection of external forces.

I'm glad he went to college, as he raised his odds. That job he laments losing he'd have NEVER had, and he would have made less if that were the case, so at least, while employed there, he had a tangible benefit to offset college costs. But whether college or other post high school training, its ROI is increasing one's odds. If you want a guarantee, and expect one, you live in a parallel universe. It has NEVER existed.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Andywire seems like the typical reactionary that would've defended the divine right of kings by asserting the status quo as the natural order. I've noticed the biggest split better left and right is not politics but their outlook on life and the world. The leftist sees the world as more socially ordered meaning it can be changed and sees evidence in the progression of history and different epochs. The right winger sees the world as naturally fixed and cannot be altered except for the small things. They assert the now as being as it always was when 9 times out if ten it hasn't always been this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment