Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:19 AM

240 posts, read 252,453 times

Advertisements

Don't talk down. Don't patronize.

Don't pretend you're better than the older workers because you're younger and "in-charge". You don't know what they've gone through...and you never will unless they tell you, which they won't. Treat them the way you want to be treated.

Take your job seriously. Don't suck up to your younger employees just because you think you can relate to them better...or because they're your friends. Treat everyone firmly, fairly and consistently.

Don't pretend. If you're asked a question you don't have an answer for, admit it and promise to get back to the employee with an answer later. It doesn't make you look weak to say "I don't know."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 08:22 AM

148 posts, read 409,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I started a new job back in December, I work for PPG industires. I'm currently training to become a Store Manager. I work in a paint store, great pay, benefits, and Co-Workers. I'm 24 and the average employee is 40+ what advice does anyone have when it comes to a young employee working with/managing older 35+ aged employees?
Respect!!

Respect and honest builds trust, not just among older employees but to everyone you meet in life. Integrity - say what you do, do what you say.

Good Luck!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:52 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
I am an older employee and I have no problem working under young managers. Have had some really good younger managers in my time as well as some really ****-poor ones, but that is with EVERY category of managers. I think I speak for a lot of older people (if I don't, older people, speak up) when I say my prime thing is don't stereotype me/us. Just because I grew up in another age doesn't me I can't learn new skills. I can AND HAVE because I have had to. Don't categorize me as completely computer illiterate because I don't constantly I-phone, facebook etc., doesn't mean I CAN'T do the required computer work. I just don't "live" on the computer. In my generation we took it for granted that you showed up for work when you were supposed to and did the job you were hired to do in a professional manner. No need to beat that into our heads. Please talk to me like you would any of your other employees, not like a 4-year old and not like I am your father. I am neither. Don't feel offended if my values are different than yours or I don't want to participate in that weekly office party. Nothing personal. It is just for me, my primary goal for being here is to W-O-R-K. Everything else is secondary. Be tactful and respectful with me and I will return the same to you in spades and won't forget that you are "the boss". But please don't try to B.S. me, I've been around the block a time or two and that includes being where you are as well.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:32 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I work in a scientific/engineering field. Some of the folks I work with are nationally recognized experts in what they do. But they don't want to be managers; they want to do what they do best- research. The problem with a younger manager is not age in itself, but a belief that because they have been made manager, they somehow know more than everyone else in the workplace. The truth is, he/she is probably the most ignorant person there. We have one now who has made work miserable because he has no clue, yet keeps demanding things that cannot be done. The only thing keeping folks from leaving is a combination of pension vesting and the knowledge that he's just there to punch his manager's ticket and will sooner or later leave for another job somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment