Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I worry about what others are doing because I believe in fairness. If I work my ass off and meet my deadlines consistently and do my work with pride, I'd expect others who are getting paid the same as me to do the same. If they aren't then something needs to be done about them. That's B.S.!!!!!
That is for their manager to track and decide. What do you do? Tattle to your supervisor if someone leaves early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
"8:30 to 5:30 means 8:30 to 5:30!" ?

How about "Salaried means not hourly!"?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:30 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That is for their manager to track and decide. What do you do? Tattle to your supervisor if someone leaves early?
Yeah, too bad if the manager does not care or does not bother to check. No, I don't tattle to him. But I sure wish he could figure it out on his own and do something. Why should I have to work more hours than someone else? Again. B.S.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Why should I have to work more hours than someone else?
Because they get more work done per hour than you do and it's a salaried position?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM

25 posts, read 35,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Because they get more work done per hour than you do and it's a salaried position?
Exactly. What about the person who hunts and pecks at the keyboard to type up his/her notes vs. the one who types 75+ wpm? Should speedy typer suffer for being efficient? People need to mind their own business and worry about themselves, IMO.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,911 times
Quote:
I worry about what others are doing because I believe in fairness. If I work my ass off and meet my deadlines consistently and do my work with pride, I'd expect others who are getting paid the same as me to do the same. If they aren't then something needs to be done about them. That's B.S.!!!!!
Y'know, I had co workers once who thought I was slacking off because it "seemed" I was doing less work than the other 3 of them. They went to our manager to complain. It was a job where metrics could be tracked and so she pulled reports, saw that not only was I doing significantly more than either of them individually, but at times more than the 3 of them combined, faster and more accurately.

She told them to mind their own business and do more work. She told me I could continue as I was, and if between work loads I chose to read a book, I was more than free to.

My coworkers had no idea that I had already been to her looking for extra projects and busy work to do on top of our expected work load because I'd get bored, and that when she had something for me to do I did it, but otherwise I was free to do what I wanted (within company policy), but to otherwise just be on hand and ready for work when it came in.

People like you make the workplace miserable for other people.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
if you dont take lunch that is your option but you still must stick to the times you agreed to.
most employers want you to take lunch bek hungry people are irritated and tired people

Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,887 times
I'm not sure if anyone remembers that the OP once stated his work status is the only thing keeping him from putting a bullet in his mouth.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:19 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
I'm not in healthcare, I'm in an office. Are salaried people really able to get away with leaving an hour early if they skip lunch?

I'm with the poster who talked about those who sit at their desk and peck away. I never allow myself more than ten minutes to eat lunch, because I feel like I'm robbing the company if I take longer.
Eight hours work is eight hours work. You get a certain amount of personal responsibility handed to you when you are a salaried employee to get your work done. Some take advantage of it.

When things got hot, salaried employess are also expected to put in 9 or 10 hour days, or maybe weekends, and not get paid. Or how about travel and not get paid for travel time. Make sense?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Salaried employees are usually exempt. Exempt employees are not subject to overtime laws. Consequently, exempt employees often have a bit more flexibility with their schedules. That's the positive. The negative is that exempt employees have more schedule flexibility because they generally work more than 40 hours in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment