Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times

Advertisements

Despite the fact that I have a job and have been working to sharpen my skills in my free time, I'm getting no responses from the dozens of applications I've sent in over the past month. I know why: The hiring manager sees my resume and thinks,

"Here's a guy with an employment gap after college graduation, followed by employment in a podunk role. It's already been verified that he's not good enough for this type of role that we're hiring for."

I'm permanently relegated to 2nd-class employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 05:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Do mock interviews twice a week for 1.5 hours in a career development group. You should be able to do 10 people a week easily. Keep submitting the resume in a small batch of 10 a week. After the resume has been torn apart 100 different ways, note the difference in response rate.

It's too much work, so you will not do it.

Last edited by move4ward; 05-03-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Not likely. They are probably just putting you toward the bottom of the pile because so any experienced people are applying for the same job. As more people start to retire in the next 3-4 years it will improve, but we are still requiring 3 years experience for even the lowest level positions. Most places that advertise little or no experience required will still take someone with 5 years over someone with one year or no experience. Many that used to accept related experience now hold out for exact experience, because they can. It may take time, but you will get there. Meanwhile try to sharpen your resume to be specific to each employer, research thoroughly and in the cover letter let them know that you want to work for them, and cite some facts about them that make you want to work there. Sometimes enough enthusiasm for a company makes up for lack of experience.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:44 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not likely. They are probably just putting you toward the bottom of the pile because so any experienced people are applying for the same job.
But here's the thing: I actually got more responses when I had just graduated college. There's a noticeable difference. I don't believe it's a statistical anomaly.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:38 PM

322 posts, read 384,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
Despite the fact that I have a job and have been working to sharpen my skills in my free time, I'm getting no responses from the dozens of applications I've sent in over the past month. I know why: The hiring manager sees my resume and thinks,

"Here's a guy with an employment gap after college graduation, followed by employment in a podunk role. It's already been verified that he's not good enough for this type of role that we're hiring for."

I'm permanently relegated to 2nd-class employment.
I believe we are rowing the same boat. I have most certainly lost my new-grad glow and feel relegated to 2nd class employment as well. I've sent out tons of resumes, had several interviews, and still cannot get an offer. Based on your username, I'm assuming you are looking for software engineering positions.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:41 PM

322 posts, read 384,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not likely. They are probably just putting you toward the bottom of the pile because so any experienced people are applying for the same job. As more people start to retire in the next 3-4 years it will improve, but we are still requiring 3 years experience for even the lowest level positions. Most places that advertise little or no experience required will still take someone with 5 years over someone with one year or no experience. Many that used to accept related experience now hold out for exact experience, because they can. It may take time, but you will get there. Meanwhile try to sharpen your resume to be specific to each employer, research thoroughly and in the cover letter let them know that you want to work for them, and cite some facts about them that make you want to work there. Sometimes enough enthusiasm for a company makes up for lack of experience.
This is exactly why I cannot find an opportunity in this area. I've been hoping my enthusiasm for specific companies would make up for lack of experience, but it has not worked yet.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Permanently? Wow, that's a good piece of pessimism right there. You're way too young to think what you think. How many years of career do you have ahead of you? I be a lot of time.

Be more chipper and think about what yo need to do to get to first class employment. Then start doing it. I was once in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. class of employment. I'm at 1st class now. I'm 40 BTW and began my rise to firs class in my early 30's or so...depending on when one considers the beginning of the rise. But have only actually been in first class for the last 5yrs or so. You have lots of time for oth good and bad things to happen in your life. Move, better yourself through education, make connections, etc.

Best of luck.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
But here's the thing: I actually got more responses when I had just graduated college. There's a noticeable difference. I don't believe it's a statistical anomaly.
I wish I had better news, but there is some truth in what you are saying - some job openings that are set up just for "new grads" aren't interested in folks who graduated a few years earlier. It is insane, but that's the economy in which we are working.

Good luck.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Permanently? Wow, that's a good piece of pessimism right there. You're way too young to think what you think. How many years of career do you have ahead of you? I be a lot of time.

Be more chipper and think about what yo need to do to get to first class employment. Then start doing it. I was once in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. class of employment. I'm at 1st class now. I'm 40 BTW and began my rise to firs class in my early 30's or so...depending on when one considers the beginning of the rise. But have only actually been in first class for the last 5yrs or so. You have lots of time for oth good and bad things to happen in your life. Move, better yourself through education, make connections, etc.

Best of luck.
It's not a pessimistic outlook per se, it's just frustrating. You do what you're "supposed to do" and things don't work out for one reason or another.

People who are frustrated like this, most likely want to work and willing to put in the effort necessary to fill in their knowledge gaps.

But, all the good intentions don't give people the necessary "3-5 years experience required"

Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Part of the "new grad" phenomenon is that some companies recruit directly from colleges and new grads have the advantages of those connections. Additionally, there are jobs that are in a "new grad only" pool, whereas a few years out you're in the general applicant pool, but do not yet have enough experience to qualify and compete with senior personnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment