Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which job?
Firefighter 12 100.00%
Juvenile Correction Officer 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is long

I took a job last year out of desperation to get out of 9 months of unemployment. It's a county job as a juvenile correction/detention officer. Basically the same as a corrections officer except it's for juveniles. I took the job last June (2013) and didn't plan on staying in that position for more than 6 months. I had never worked in that type of environment around dangerous young criminals and hated every minute the first few months. It feels like I'm locked up my whole shift, not permitted to leave the property even for lunch, and always having to call and wait to be relieved for a restroom break. Toward the end of last year, I started trying to make the best of it and kind of change my attitude and started really trying make the job challenging and control the units.

In January, the Fire Department called me a year after applying. I passed the physical ability tests, polygraph, background, and sent all my immunizations, fingerprints, etc. Seeing that the Fire Dept was a way out of doing what I'm doing now, I started to get more patient with the job I'm in now, but that's only because I was seeing a way out. At the end of April, the Fire Dept told me I didn't make the final pick for this round and I was on standby. I started to get really depressed and dreading my current job again and said, "I hate being in there all day with those delinquents". Then just last week, the Fire Dept called me and told me a few applicants had dropped out, and offered me to start the Academy at the end of June.

I had evaluated all the negatives of switching to be a firefighter but got myself excited about the positives. I'm really trying to make a decision and I'm nervous that I may be having a little bit of that "grass is greener" syndrome. I hear alot of people saying how great the job is, but I've heard some people have some negative comments and saying how physically difficult it is, it's like the military, and how dangerous it is. All that has kind of made me get cold feet. Not to mention, the first 9 months in the Academy, I'm going to be making a little bit less money that I'm making at my current job, but after that, my pay will increase to 8,000 more per year more than I currently make, and it increases 2-3,000 more per year every year after that.

I'm just a little nervous and would like some perspective to assist me in making this big decision. I know what the firefighting entails but I know I don't want to do my current position for another year. I've been on like 10 different interviews in my current department trying to advance myself and didn't land any of the positions. It appears the opportunities for advancement in salary are faster in the fire dept. With the Correction Officer job, I'm working 5 days a week plus mandatory stay over days versus one-on-two-off, one-on, four off schedule of the fire dept.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 06:46 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
I think firefighting would definitely be better long-term. When I compare the local firefighting jobs with the local juvenile corrections jobs, there is just no comparison. The only thing that I find really bad about being a firefighter is the scheduling. It is dangerous, but so is being a juvenile correctional officer. I've read stories of corrections officers being permanently disabled after a beating at a juvenile detention center.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
I hope you are not afraid of heights. Expect the FF academy to be mentally, physically and academically challenging. Do you think you can handle that? You will be on probation for a year after that. Are you required to be an EMT as well?

You've been in corrections for less than a year, which means you have no business being promoted.

If you want to be a FF, it sounds like a great opportunity. The ones around here make mad cash and have lots of time off. But keep in mind that it is a job that requires on-going training, shift work, overtime, etc.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:35 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
This really is a personal choice that you have to make for yourself.

With that said, if I were you....firefighter.

There's a reason why those jobs are competetive to get into. They're good jobs.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Here a firefighter is one of the few jobs that still gives you a pension.

It's got to be better than spending your days with criminals.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 8,267 times
Registered here just to post an answer... are you kidding me???
A job you hate, pays less and has worse hours, and is more dangerous ??? Do you think dealing with the little %^##$W@ s is gonna get better or worse as you get more burned out ???

Take the FF job. Every minute you spend thinking about this is a minute wasted.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
At least as a firefighter you're in the business of saving lives. Most of the juvies lives are already over.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Thanks guys I really appreciate your responses and input.

I have to make a decision pretty fast (within the next 30 days) or so, so it would give me time to give my current job at least 2 wks notice.

And joefromdayton, I applied to be a juvenile caseworker which is a promotion from being a Juv correction officer i currently am. Perhaps it's true that I don't have any business being promoted, but there's been cases of people being promoted in less than 4-6 months on the job. OTOH, some people have been there 5 years or more and still haven't been promoted after interviewing, so it could go either way. But i have my degree and plus I have over 5 years administrative case management experience from my previous job. AS for the shifts for the FF, It's usually 1 (24 hr day) on, and 2-3 days off. It averages out to be 9-10 workdays per month.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:05 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
^^^ That makes more sense so, yes, I would have pursued those openings as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment