Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 08:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
No, Section 8 is federally funded, locally administered. The income limits are determined by the median income of the area where you live.

For example, the maximum income that 1 person can have to qualify in Allegheny county, PA is $36,750.

In Miami-Dade county, it is higher, $38,100. However, due to the higher population/demand, at least 40% of the vouchers are given to those who are considered "extremely low income" ($14,300).

So basically, the Section 8 program can in fact vary from place to place in regards to your eligibility for it.

There is a specified proportion of vouchers that must go to extremely low income (<30% of median family income) households; I thought this was a federal standard and the required proportion does not vary locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I hear that and for me it's tougher to save because I want to go on dates from time to time so then I have to create a budget to treat somebody lol. So sometimes it can be difficult to save based on what you having coming in each month.

But what I started doing 3 months ago is taking the money off the top the day I get paid so I can pay myself first and then deal with everything else.

I tried that once and within three months was getting utility disconnect notices so I stopped doing that and brought my bills current.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:40 AM

What a sloppy question, no wonder surveys produce sloppy results.

There are plenty of available jobs.

There are no jobs AVAILABLE TO ME.

How am I supposed to answer that question?

Old 09-21-2014, 11:18 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I do that too; but inevitably, something ALWAYS comes up that whisks my savings away (that latest issue was that I had to get my brakes done; the time before that, I had to get new eyeglasses....)
Oh Yeah those unexpected purchases, know all about those.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:22 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I tried that once and within three months was getting utility disconnect notices so I stopped doing that and brought my bills current.
See I have to pay myself first because I remember when I was laid in 2011, I have nothing in my savings to show I worked at the company for 2 years and was disgusted at myself. So I made a promise that my next job I will make sure something is dumbed into my savings out of every check so if I was to ever be laid off again I would have something to show that I worked there and not looked like I was volunteering

Old 09-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
See I have to pay myself first because I remember when I was laid in 2011, I have nothing in my savings to show I worked at the company for 2 years and was disgusted at myself. So I made a promise that my next job I will make sure something is dumbed into my savings out of every check so if I was to ever be laid off again I would have something to show that I worked there and not looked like I was volunteering

Would I be correct in presuming you earned more thann minimum wage?

Old 09-21-2014, 02:18 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Would I be correct in presuming you earned more thann minimum wage?
I have not had a minimum wage job since 1992

Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
What a sloppy question, no wonder surveys produce sloppy results.

There are plenty of available jobs.

There are no jobs AVAILABLE TO ME.

How am I supposed to answer that question?
Frankly, I thought the article was poorly written and ambiguous.

"A new survey finds that even though one out of two unemployed Americans are increasingly giving up on looking for a job, nearly all of them remain hopeful that they will find a job they “really want” in the next six months."

How do 90% think they'll get they a job they want if they have already stopped looking? Makes no sense. Also the poll was taken by Express Employment Professionals, the nation’s largest franchised staffing company? Personally, I've never heard of them--maybe others have. But I doubt they used much reliable scientific methodology in their poll. If you go to their website, it appears as if they care more about selling franchises than assisting people in finding work. Not a reliable poll.

Employment & Staffing Agency Franchise Opportunities with Express

Old 10-16-2014, 06:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
It is entirely possible to find a crap job with a degree. I have a degree and managed to find temporary work at a factory. The low wage job market is decent, but a lot of people don't want low wage jobs. I mean if you have kids, you can make more on welfare. Plus, it is psychologically hard to take low wage jobs, so you here people throw around the word, "overqualified" because it is easier to live with parents, go on welfare/disability, or let the spouse support you than it is to swallow one's pride and take a low wage job.

I ran out of money and was hungry, so I started leaving my degree off my resume. Well, it worked. I had a low wage job in about week. Was it hard? Yes, because I had to lower my standards to take a low wage job, but you gotta do what you gotta do when you're broke. My employer did find out and I came up with some bull sh*& in my interview that I was working on changing careers. I got the job, so it worked.

Now, the middle wage job market is tough right now. I am underemployed and looking for a better job. That has been rough. I do have a few leads, but boy it is sure tiring to find something better. I really think the underemployed might just have it tougher than anyone right now. They make too much for assistance and working their asses off trying to find a better job, all why maintaining a full-time job that is less than ideal.
The low wage job market is anything but decent in northern massachusetts. If it was so good, my phone would be ringing off the hook from all the submissions I've made through craigslist, snagajob, indeed, etc. All of them say "NOW HIRING!!!" but they NEVER CALL ME.

How can I get an INTERVIEW, let alone a JOB, when they don't call me?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
The low wage job market is anything but decent in northern massachusetts. If it was so good, my phone would be ringing off the hook from all the submissions I've made through craigslist, snagajob, indeed, etc. All of them say "NOW HIRING!!!" but they NEVER CALL ME.

How can I get an INTERVIEW, let alone a JOB, when they don't call me?
If you can't get a job in booming Massachusetts, come live in the South. That will show you what hard living is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment