Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I believe that is subjective, people can look "half decent" in jeans and tshirt.
True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 AM

249 posts, read 424,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I actually like looking half decent at work considering I spent 8 years of my life wishing i had the chance to
I'm right there with you, BostonMike.

I'm surprised -- or maybe not so surprised -- that seemingly all the previous posters only see "same as now" or "more casual" as the only two options, and that it's almost presupposed that anyone would naturally want to go more casual.

Why don't more people out there want the exact opposite? To dress more seriously and to look more professional, and in the process also look more attractive.

I'd wear a jacket and tie every day if I could, because I like the way people treat me (consciously and unconsciously) when I look like that. I like seeing others look that way, too -- my wife looks infinitely more attractive when dressed for work the way she does compared to if she went the hyper-casual route.

Back when I was a teenager I read a magazine article about an experiment where young men and women went out for a day wearing suits, just to see how they were treated. Invariably the participants reported being treated with a level of respect that, in many cases, they had never experienced before.

Go to work wearing pajamas and you'll feel comfortable physically. Go there in a suit and you'll feel absolutely fantastic mentally. Is the former really so much better than the latter?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I would wear shorts and a t-shirt/button down shirt.

My merit speaks for me, so I am not concerned about "professional" appearance (plenty of inept people dress professionally, all show, no go as we say), but I look darn good in shorts and a t-shirt anyway.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
Back when I was a teenager I read a magazine article about an experiment where young men and women went out for a day wearing suits, just to see how they were treated. Invariably the participants reported being treated with a level of respect that, in many cases, they had never experienced before.
Given the numerous low wage/skilled positions that require people to wear suits, I doubt this is relevant currently (I do not know when you were a teen). It seems the lower level the job, the more the requirement is to wear more formal business attire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
Go to work wearing pajamas and you'll feel comfortable physically. Go there in a suit and you'll feel absolutely fantastic mentally. Is the former really so much better than the latter?
If you do not think comfort is an issue, cut all heat/AC to your office and see how productive people get. Extreme example yes, but from my view point (office, seldom contact with anyone other than email), how I dress and many others in my situation has zero influence on productivity. Others however it may.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
I would like to wear a snazzy suit, but minus the tie. Fitted suits that don't have excessive material draped all over the place. Shoes would be high end italian loafers or something by Tom Ford. Again, minus the tie. I just don't see the point anymore.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
I get to do this now…I work from home so on days I don't need to leave the house, I *might* decide to change into a clean pair of pajamas. If/when I go back to working clinically, then it's scrubs which are essentially as comfortable as PJ's…I hate the days I have to dress up for work.
I'm home everyday for work and never get dressed. They say it helps with productivity if you act the part, but I guess everyone's different. What keeps me on track are deadlines.

I only get dressed minutes before I have to go out. And I don't mean to the kids' bus stop.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:02 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
I can wear whatever I want, as I work from home. I could work nekkid if I wanted to. I generally wear a PJ type top or a T-shirt and comfy PJ pants.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,345 times
Business casual, if I was a C level, or Manager, I'd wear a Suit & Tie everyday.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I can wear whatever I want, as I work from home. I could work nekkid if I wanted to. I generally wear a PJ type top or a T-shirt and comfy PJ pants.
Are you an online stripper? I don't get your comment.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 AM

249 posts, read 424,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If you do not think comfort is an issue, cut all heat/AC to your office and see how productive people get. Extreme example yes, but from my view point (office, seldom contact with anyone other than email), how I dress and many others in my situation has zero influence on productivity. Others however it may.
I understand this part perfectly; where I work indoor temperatures are kept at 82 F to cut down on electricity costs.

Since they began this, people have been dressing more casually, and I can't bear wearing a jacket anymore. This is what makes me miss the better times when we had AC and people dressed more formally.

And once there's pressure to dress casually, you can't really go too formal anymore. This has the negative effect of exaggerating the differences in people's attractiveness. Heavier folks who would look great in suits end up looking slovenly. I myself am on the skinny side and miss the square shoulder look that you get with a nice sport jacket. All the more important to have a pleasantly-cool indoor temperature so that people don't feel any need to wear T-shirts and shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment