Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 12:51 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times

Advertisements

I need some advice.

I’m currently employed – first full time job out of college, been here for 2 years. I’m in Marketing and have learned a lot from this position and prior internships.

A month ago, I was placed on a PIP – I’m accomplishing all of my work, but management wants to turn my position into a more strategic position rather than tactical and outsourcing the tactical stuff to 3rd party vendors. I have no real interest in becoming strategic and really enjoy the tactical side which is primarily marketing automation, design, and social media.

So I have 3 more weeks (at the latest) before I’m out of a job here.

I’ve been applying to a number of jobs in the Chicagoland area and have had a few interviews – it’s a bit hard for me to get out of work for onsite interviews, but I’ve been trying as best as I can. On the other hand, I’m not tied down to Chicago. My family is here, but I’m extremely open to relocating to Denver, or Portland/Seattle/Boston. I’ve also been applying to jobs out in Denver, but haven’t heard much back.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to get an offer from a place here in Chicago in the next few days, but I’m not super wild about the position or company and can quickly see myself burning out there. Not to mention, the commute would increase from 20 minutes to near an hour each way.

As far as money is concerned, I have zero debt and over $75k saved. Current expenses hover around $1k/month between rent/utilities/cell/insurance/food/etc.

I’m torn. I never really took a break – I’ve worked all of my summers since Sophomore year of HS and started full time 3 weeks out of college. Part of me wants to say screw it and spend 5-6 weeks and drive out west and explore the national parks. Or buy a ticket to Asia or Europe and travel around for a month. I’ve been to Europe 3 times, but always during Thanksgiving and for a short week at a time.

When I get back, I can collect unemployment and search for the job I actually want, where I want.

But I don’t know. I seem to have no issues getting interviews – I do have a rather unique skill set in Marketing Automation that is rare for someone at my level.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:57 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Start the unemployment before you leave. That's all I got.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Start the unemployment before you leave. That's all I got.
Also, you may need to prove that you are actively looking for work when you start collecting UI.
I am not familiar with Illinois requirements.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
When your job is finished, consider visiting those cities on your list and combine vacation with your job search.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 PM

33 posts, read 57,350 times
Don't take a lengthy break. Even though you say you have saved a lot of money, you will blow through it faster than you realize if you take 5-6 weeks off. It's okay to take a week's vacation somewhere (after your job ends) to relax, but be responsible. Second, it's better to have a job, even if its not what you really want to do. You don't know how long it will take you to find another job. Third, as others have posted, if you do end up collecting unemployment, there are rules that you have to follow in order for you to keep receiving those benefits. It's a dog eat dog world out there and you don't want to lose any advantage you may have by taking a long time off. It's great that you are willing to relocate because if you can land a good job you might receive some compensation to help with the move. Don't give up! Do allow for some fun, but don't allow others to get ahead of you either!

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Let the job come to an end. You can travel then. Start researching (i.e. actually call them) how traveling will affect your unemployment payments. You have the savings but take the unemployment if you can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment