Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 605 times

Advertisements

Please help me. I'm working with a coworker on a project at work that I ASKED to work on. I'm interested in the work, but not the coworker. She is not the type of person I'd volunteer to spend time with. Very loud and obnoxious.

For some reason, she asked to accompany her to the gym last week so that I could show her around. I had NO desire to do this, but she kind of caught me by surprise. She said it loud and rudely, and I tried to demur. I definitely did NOT say yes, but she left before I could say NO. I left to go to the gym without her. She saw me and got VERY VERY angry. She is now interfering with my work on the project..has come to my desk TWICE to be nasty and rude etc.

What should I do? I want to make it CLEAR that I do not plan to spend any of my time outside of work with her, but I also want us to get our work done and help with the new process. Should I have a meeting? I'm planning to continue to be pleasant to her, but let it be clear that work is work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 08:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
From the sound of it, you came off extremely rude to her. While she may not be your cup of tea, you handled the initial situation very poorly. She was reaching out trying to get to know you. Instead of being honest with her upfront and saying "I like to keep the gym and working separate, I am sure someone at the gym can help you. Thanks for understanding." You just went to the gym. So you were obnoxious.

Now you'll have to back pedal. I would suggest talking to her now. Apologize for your behavior. Tell her you like to keep work/personal separate and want to work with her to do a great job on the project. Ask if you can both leave the past in the past and move on.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:24 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
Although the co-worker is not someone you want to be friends with, you did ask to work on this project and you should make an effort to have a collegial working relationship. If this is a gym at your office, what's the big deal showing it to her, anyway? It doesn't mean she wants to be daily gym buddies. You should try to meet her halfway since you are working closely together.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:22 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Hr?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:43 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
I think also just showing her around the gym and meeting her halfway would have been best in this case. You were not required to spend all your free time with her. The small effort would have been worth it. You can apologize but there will likely be friction due to the rejection remaining . Sometimes at work making small sacrifices are necessary. Hope things smooth out somehow here.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:48 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
Shut her big pie hole with a big 'ol pie or a dozen donuts.

Apologize and kill her with kindness while making a point about separation of work and outside activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment