Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It will fail in shear at the ends and moment in the middle.

The problem with engineering is that real life problems with all the variables of nature are rarely so simple. It's really more of an art than a science in that kind of sense.
Well, since you just let it slip that you're an engineer... way the go in ruining it for the laymen who genuinely wanted to solve it

Like i said before, I've been telling "normal" people this problem for years, and most are clueless. Having a load in the middle is easy. Anyone can see that if it fails it will fail in the middle where the single load is. But if you add another load to it, then most people would have no clue.

This goes back to what I was trying to say before. As engineers, we understand things in our respective fields a lot more than the next guy. I'm sure people with other specialized skills like accountants see us as children when we're talking about their stuff.

Take moment, for example. One time I mentioned moment in a convo with a speech therapist. She kept thinking I was trying to say "momentum".

I guess what I'm trying to say in too many words is this thread is nonsense. Engineers are like everybody else. Don't know why we're being singled out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The funny thing about engineers (of which I am one) is that we all think we are in this big fraternity together, when in reality, few of the engineering disciplines have anything to do with each other.

Like, there's different kinds of lawyers and doctors, but they all have a pretty strong common ground I think.

Most of what engineers do has nothing to do with the next engineer. It's just an overly broad term for people who use science to create stuff.
I'm sure doctors think the same way, too. I'm remember that Tom Cruise movie where Tom Cruise is a breast exam doctor of some sort. This balding Russian guy asked him why he's losing all his hair.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 PM

701 posts, read 1,097,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
I don't know about entitlement, but I do know that 'engineers' tend to get really annoyed whenever someone has the title engineer but did not specifically go to a school of engineering.

I was promoted in a previous job from system admin to system engineer and my engineering school grad friends had a small fit over it -- stating that titles are thrown around left and right and how these people are not REAL engineer, blah blah.

My argument is that engineer, in some instances, is more of a definition of your role and the work you do; not whether your diploma specifically says college of engineering. Anyone can get a piece of paper, I'd rather trust someone who has 'engineered' things through practice.

Sorry, I know this rant was slightly off topic.
I will avoid driving across bridges, flying in airplanes, or riding in elevators designed by someone who thinks a Mechanical, Civil, or Structural Engineering degree is just "a piece of paper." I will do the same with any "Doctor" who dismisses a medical degree as "a piece of paper."

Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
who thinks a Mechanical, Civil, or Structural Engineering degree is just "a piece of paper."
i been working for an engineering firm for thirty years now, and i can say, anybody who stay in school long enough can get that piece of paper. Might have to take the course over three time but they can get that degree, and it will be worthless. Now I'm not saying those that pass the EIT and PE don't deserved the title of engineers, but i have seen some paper holders that once they got the degree they never be able to pass the EIT

Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 PM

377 posts, read 620,340 times
Speaking as a non-engineer who has worked with engineers and continues to do so, my observation is that engineers are their worst enemies. You think all those MBA's who sold out your profession and off-shored/outsourced countless jobs have no engineering background? Well, think again.

If engineers don't even respect or appreciate the work done by their fellow professionals, don't expect anyone else to. Engineers will gladly sell their profession out in exchange for a quick bonus.

Last edited by Astute; 06-05-2014 at 10:32 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 PM

151 posts, read 258,285 times
What are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Speaking as a non-engineer who has worked with engineers and continues to do so, my observation is that engineers are their worst enemies. You think all those MBA's who sold out your profession and off-shored/outsourced countless jobs have no engineering background? Well, think again.

If engineers don't even respect or appreciate the work done by their fellow professionals, don't expect anyone else to. Engineers will gladly sell their profession out in exchange for a quick bonus.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 PM

32 posts, read 75,991 times
Outsourcing is happening because engineers have NO REPRESNETATION.
Corporations spends BILLIONS to create the environment they want.
Who should have told us? The media
Who owns the media? The top food chain corporations...

I have watched this for more than 10 years and I'm so tired of preaching.
The answer is getting in politicians faces and MAKING them represent YOU.
That is what they are elected to do.
good luck...
Talk to the co-workers... 'What is on HBO tonight', 'who has the happy hour', there is our problem.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 AM

119 posts, read 300,546 times
I can't say I've met any with entitlement issues though a few have expressed their dislike of people with no formal education or having a degree in computer science being called engineers. I had a funny encounter with my brother and sister in law. We were chatting about my dog and I mentioned taking him to the vet clinic and what the doctor said. They questioned why I would take a dog to see a doctor and I said he was sick and needed to be seen by an animal doctor aka veterinarian. They both laughed and found it funny for a vet to be called a doctor. I said well in the US the majority of the population do not call dentists (they are both foreign dentists) doctors either and I was met with disgusted faces lol.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I will avoid driving across bridges, flying in airplanes, or riding in elevators designed by someone who thinks a Mechanical, Civil, or Structural Engineering degree is just "a piece of paper." I will do the same with any "Doctor" who dismisses a medical degree as "a piece of paper."
^^^^This. Some people just assume that we should just hire non degreed Engineers for those jobs. The degree is just the price of admission, just the same as any other profession.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:34 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
^^^^This. Some people just assume that we should just hire non degreed Engineers for those jobs. The degree is just the price of admission, just the same as any other profession.
Back in the day, even physicians and lawyers didn't need a degree.

Anyone want to take a chance on surgery with a doc who didn't finish med school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment