Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I absolutely agree with these statements, but would like to elaborate on #1. In order for this to be true, the manager must accept responsibility for the screw ups of the employees. It's very easy for a manager to point a finger and place blame on their employee, but they never should. If an employee messes up, it is the manager's responsibility because they didn't provide adequate training, they didn't communicate the task/ project effectively, or they've assigned it to the wrong person. The manager may certainly believe they did those things correctly, but if the employee didn't get it, it is the manager's responsibility.

One of most important principles I live by as a leader is always let the employee get the credit and praise when it goes well, and always take the blame when it goes poorly.
DANG! Where were you when I needed you most?? [Heh-heh-heh!]

Last edited by Nighteyes; 06-05-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I didn't have to go beyond the first few words of the post to get an understanding of what the o.p. is about.

Not a supervisor, not a manager, but a boss!

If that's not your official title, it should be.
Good point.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
DANG! Where were you when I needed you most?? [Heh-heh-heh!]
Principle #2 is that I really only have one task....and that is to remove any roadblocks my employees face while trying to achieve their goals.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Wow, this is the second backfiring stupid-manager thread this week. Here's the first:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...stupidity.html

I wonder if this is the start of a trend?

Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Really? Scold him for doing the same thing you did? I don't believe it.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceableStew View Post
I'm a boss for a small sales office.
So start acting like a boss. Fired the person!

Do you really need some forgetful person working for you? Is this person the only one who can do the job? Probably not, so get rid of this person and hire someone who isn’t going to make things difficult for you. You are the boss; it's none of your concern what’s causing the problem. If the person has some reason for this, it’s their job to tell you, not your job to find out. Fire the person and select another for the hundreds of applications you will receive. You may not realize this, but you hold the cards, not the employees.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceableStew View Post
I'm a boss for a small sales office. One of my employees left some important samples in the conference room. He is very forgetful. Instead of returning them to him I hid them in my desk to teach him a lesson. He didn't realize the went missing that day so they stayed in my desk. A month later we needed those samples for some photos and that is when he realized they were missing. He asked me if I had seen them, but by then I had forgot I had them in my desk. After he searched all around for a week and couldn't find them he had to tell the engineering group he had lost them and then I scolded him for loosing the samples. Another month later I found them while cleaning my desk and remembered that I had taken them. When I gave them back to him, he seemed angry, but I told him it's his fault in the first place for being careless with the samples. He should have realized they were missing on the first day they went missing. Now every time these samples comes up in conversation the employee get's upset at me when I remind him that none of this would have happened if he paid attention to the samples. He is so stubborn. How do I get the message across?
I haven't read the whole thread, but read enough. This is the kind of dopey manager that makes an office a hell hole. Unprofessional is being kind. This type doesn't have a clue about how to properly train people or deal with personnel issues. I'm sure the people skills are non existent.

I'm thankful that people like this wouldn't last two weeks where I work. The management is professional and actually addresses problems the correct way instead of acting like it's a kindergarten class.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I guess I have thick skin, but you have to in sales, to an extent. I would laugh if my SM did that to me. First be pissed but I would laugh with him. Sometimes people need to get punked.

The problem is how do you be professional and serious in your criticism you already displayed Frat mentality. I guess just tell him from now on it's different PIP him and he will get the message you ain't joking.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So start acting like a boss. Fired the person!

Do you really need some forgetful person working for you? Is this person the only one who can do the job? Probably not, so get rid of this person and hire someone who isn’t going to make things difficult for you. You are the boss; it's none of your concern what’s causing the problem. If the person has some reason for this, it’s their job to tell you, not your job to find out. Fire the person and select another for the hundreds of applications you will receive. You may not realize this, but you hold the cards, not the employees.
Sales is crazy. I have seen people with 2 DUI's get a letter of reco from SM because they are top performer on team.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
1. ... you have been in the wrong businesses...

2. The only real difference between you and me is that I can point to the EDUCATION, the EXPERIENCE, and the OUTCOMES that justify/document my successes.
1. Really?

2. I'm sure there are vast differences between you and I and I wonder why such a defensive tack.

I simply pointed out that these are very basic principles but I've certainly seen any number of charismatic leaders who through their dynamic delivery are able to encourage people to pay a lot of money for such service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment