Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM

103 posts, read 185,459 times

Advertisements

Doing lots of thinking is a good thing, but please don't let being fired ruin you life. I have a friend that has been fired from 11 jobs (yes 11) jobs in the past 2 years and now she's basically so afraid of failing, and she continues to bomb every interview that she goes to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
I don't define my value by someone elses opinion.

I have never been fired but I have quit, many times.

Life's too short to work with asshats.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
When I was fired from a number of previous employers it pretty much destroyed me. I had a hard time moving forward and living with myself. I was failure! I bombed! I could not do the job! They did not respect me! I wasn't smart enough! (You get the idea!)

It is easy to rationalize why I was fired but decisions like that are not reached by one man at these types of organizations. Many levels of managers have to sign off my termination. They all agreed, I was not worthy to continue.

So IF YOU have been fired in the past, how do you live with yourself?
I'm confident enough in my abilities to know that, if anyone deems it necessary to fire me, they are probably either not a very good judge of talent, they're expectations on how I would fit in their company were woefully out of whack when they hired me, or they just didn't want to pay me anymore. Therefore, I shrug it off and go live my life. When one door closes, many others open. Seize the opportunities in front of you and don't worry about what is in the past. There is nothing you can do about it.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I'm confident enough in my abilities to know that, if anyone deems it necessary to fire me, they are probably either not a very good judge of talent, they're expectations on how I would fit in their company were woefully out of whack when they hired me, or they just didn't want to pay me anymore. Therefore, I shrug it off and go live my life. When one door closes, many others open. Seize the opportunities in front of you and don't worry about what is in the past. There is nothing you can do about it.
YOU may act all confident when someone hires you but most potential employers look at someone who has been fired for incompetence as damaged goods.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:05 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Quote:
YOU may act all confident when someone hires you but most potential employers look at someone who has been fired for incompetence as damaged goods.
Pretty obvious you've never hired someone.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Do not let not bother you. Go online and sign up for unemployment. Afterwards go to the bar. Check your bank account. If you have a reserve to hold you over then plan a trip.]

Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Karma has nothing to do with it. I did my job extremely well. My sin was to ask someone a question that I was instructed to ask them. They didn't like it that they were asked, and took it out on me.
So, you were a patsy. Karma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT05hySTl6g

Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I was laid off twice... One of which I really considered a firing because the manager had been looking for an excuse to get rid of me.

On the Monday after the Friday I was let go. I woke in the morning and realized...
  • Oh God, I have to get up and go to that lousy job.
  • OH WAIT!!! I don't have to go there ever again!
I then went to Valley Forge park, spread a blanket under a big shade tree, and napped much of the day away.

A few weeks later, I found another - far better job.

The best thing about it was that I realized that loosing a job is NOT the worst thing that can happen in your life. And I think that if a person is lucky, it will happen to them once in their life while they are young.

Realizing this opens far more possibilities than it closes.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:52 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
So IF YOU have been fired in the past, how do you live with yourself?
How do you live with yourself?

That question would be more appropriate if it was asked of someone who was fired, and never bothered applying for another job again.

When I was fired, I got another job, and made the necessary "adjustments" that allowed me to support my family until my first paycheck from the new job arrived.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:54 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Life's too short to work with asshats.
Or for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment