Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was just reading up on the F-bomb thread and it got me thinking about the job I had a few years ago in college. It was a part time position loading bags at the airport. A somewhat 'stressful' position where time was always an issue. Two of the supervisors and the manager were very hot-headed and liked to swear and scream. It was unprofessional, but I always thought it was part of the business. You know, a manly environment. Would the same thing be expected in a garage workshop? I have since moved on and have a more professional environment, but I was just curious if that would be seen as a hostile work environment? I didn't really bother me, that much. I was a good employee, and hard worker so it wasn't directed towards me, but it did make me uncomfortable sometimes when a bunch of F-bombs got dropped and the supervisor (and even manager) got all red in the face with a "hurry, hurry we need to get this plane out!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 05:56 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Sounds like half the jobs I've had.

If you can't take the heat, get outta the kitchen. Work environments rarely conform to the expectations of one person... Particularly those of the new guy.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hi,
I was just reading up on the F-bomb thread and it got me thinking about the job I had a few years ago in college. It was a part time position loading bags at the airport. A somewhat 'stressful' position where time was always an issue. Two of the supervisors and the manager were very hot-headed and liked to swear and scream. It was unprofessional, but I always thought it was part of the business. You know, a manly environment. Would the same thing be expected in a garage workshop? I have since moved on and have a more professional environment, but I was just curious if that would be seen as a hostile work environment? I didn't really bother me, that much. I was a good employee, and hard worker so it wasn't directed towards me, but it did make me uncomfortable sometimes when a bunch of F-bombs got dropped and the supervisor (and even manager) got all red in the face with a "hurry, hurry we need to get this plane out!"
It's just the environment. It's like working as a line cook...you just learn to accept it.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Lol...come work in a hospital.

Or the front lines.

Perspective.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
I work night shift at a retail store and the manager is a raging alcoholic who screams and smashes stuff and co-workers are always drugged up so it's always a lot of fun.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I work night shift at a retail store and the manager is a raging alcoholic who screams and smashes stuff and co-workers are always drugged up so it's always a lot of fun.

Sounds like the department store where I worked - I was secretary to the store manager (and clerical support to the department managers). The temper tantrums of the store manager were legendary - it was like working for a 250- pound manic depressive 2-year-old. When I started the job, I was warned by the Personnel Director that this lady manager was "impatient and temperamental". An understatement. She would throw stuff and scream, dropping the "F" word frequently. You could hear her all the way out in the Customer Service Department. She once broke a bunch of lower priced glassware in the stockroom during one of her rages, and just wrote it off as "shrinkage".

The worst was a Monday morning when I came in to work and found the panel ripped off the copy machine and in splinters. Of course, I was the one questioned about it (even though I hadn't been in the office all weekend). The manager had been there Sunday and had one of her temper tantrums when she couldn't unjam the copier...needless to say, our Xerox service contract didn't cover that. They repaired it, but I repeatedly got a shock from it every time I had to unjam it.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:19 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The temper tantrums of the store manager were legendary - it was like working for a 250- pound manic depressive 2-year-old. When I started the job, I was warned by the Personnel Director that this lady manager was "impatient and temperamental".
It always amazes me how people with this nature ascend to positions of authority over others, especially when others senior to them are actually aware of their behavior.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:09 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
It always amazes me how people with this nature ascend to positions of authority over others, especially when others senior to them are actually aware of their behavior.

Well, she was fired...eventually. There were "higher ups" who replaced those that protected her...one in particular...and he didn't like her or her shenanigans.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
My last supervisor was always swearing, dropping the F bomb, etc. She would sulk, put her head down, other behaviors. I honestly had never seen that level. Same w/ HR, she would sulk, be verbally aggressive to people. Some place!!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I also wonder about this. I've worked for so many psychos that I've begun to wonder if that's some kind of management job qualification. There was one time when the upper management didn't know, but found out later and fired him - and it was sweet justice seeing that evil, pill-popping maniac walk out of the building with his little cardboard box of personal possessions under his arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment