Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,722 times

Advertisements

When I was working the cash register, a male customer asked me if I had a boyfriend.

I told him that that was none of his business.

Later my boss told me that I was being rude.

What do you think?

Personally I think the customer was the one who was being inappropriate. I was trying to do my job, not pick up guys. Who thinks it's a good idea to hit on service people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:42 AM

498 posts, read 977,282 times
Saying it the way you did is a little overly confrontational. Better to use more neutral wording like "I'd rather not go into that."

That, or just not respond at all. "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Your total is seventeen fifty, cash or charge?" He'll get the hint. While you're on the job you're representing your company.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 AM

249 posts, read 424,632 times
Without knowing your tone of voice, it's hard to answer. The customer was interested in you and you can't blame a guy for trying! Your exact words with a tactful smile on your face will get the message across while maintaining politeness to him, but if you reacted angrily, you might have gone too far. It's not a crime to be interested in the opposite sex, you know!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:57 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
You got hit on! Sheesh....next time say yes if you don't want him or that's personal and I wish not to divulge on that.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,690,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
Without knowing your tone of voice, it's hard to answer. The customer was interested in you and you can't blame a guy for trying! Your exact words with a tactful smile on your face will get the message across while maintaining politeness to him, but if you reacted angrily, you might have gone too far. It's not a crime to be interested in the opposite sex, you know!
I replied in a flat, neutral voice.

It's not a crime but there is a time and place for everything. This was the workplace, not a bar or a nightclub. I have no interest in having men trying to exploit me for sex when I am trying to earn an honest living.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM

249 posts, read 424,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post

It's not a crime but there is a time and place for everything. This was the workplace, not a bar or a nightclub or speed dating event.
Well, it was your workplace; to him he's just out in the world, meeting people. From another perspective -- one you might be taking if you were interested in the guy -- he's livening up yet another dull work day with an offer of romance.

I'd be ecstatic if I were working a cash register and a woman asked me if I had a girlfriend. Even if I had no interest in her at all. And because I'm taken, I would be sure to say so, but in a tone that thanked the woman for her interest.

Accept the compliment with a smile and leave the guy feeling good even if you're not interested. I mean, he's clearly showing that he has good taste in women... isn't he?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Should have asked him "Do you?"

Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post

It's not a crime but there is a time and place for everything. This was the workplace, not a bar or a nightclub. I have no interest in having men trying to exploit me for sex when I am trying to earn an honest living.
If you don't mind me asking, how did he try to "exploit you for having sex"? That is a pretty big leap from an innocent flirt.

Ease up, guy thought you were cute. Lot worse things in the world today.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Should have asked him "Do you?"
Hahaha.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM

251 posts, read 341,712 times
You are not out of line for rejecting his advances.

But maybe your delivery was a little less savory.

Next time someone asks something like that, just say "Yes I have a boyfriend" if you are not interested. Or just keep the conversation job related. This isn't a co-worker, it is a customer. So you still have to have some level of tact when talking to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment