Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 AM

387 posts, read 589,621 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my name's Mario and I'm looking for advice on my current job situation.
I currently work for the govt as an IT analyst, making 100k/yr. I started off maxed out and haven't received any raises, cost of living adjustments in 10 years. I was initially hired on to maintain their database systems and I exceled above and beyond at what I did there my first few years. In the last 8 years I took over responsibility and administration of 12 other applications. They liked me so much, they kept piling the work on without giving me a raise, since I was already maxed. I understand this is one of the cons of working for govt., but I am thinking of leaving back to the private sector.
My IT specialty is a niche technology and in high demand. W ith my MBA and MS in CS, Ican pretty much find a job paying 150-170k.
I do miss working in the private consulting sector but I also like the flexibility of a govt job. I'm pretty much busy the entire time at my current position, which is great, but I can't put up with the fact that I take on more than I should. They haven't hired anyone to help and I sometimes feel like a one man team. I am 40 years old and wonder if its time for a change. Anyone make the move from public to private and have any regrets?
Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
I was a Fed employee and was forced to leave due to the furloughs. I started out low but in a few yeas was going to be making decent money for the position, compared to the private sector. The benefits were much better in the gov't world than where I was (although the industry I was in wasn't good for that at all). I now work in the private world, new industry making more money, but I work a lot more hours. That is the huge plus side of government work, at least where I was. I worked 40 hrs a week and that was all. Some guys worked more, but they received OT for it. Private world can't offer these hours/flexibility and they aren't as stable. If I was a bit higher in my GS grade when the furlough came around I would have been able to stick it out, but I simply had to leave because I could not afford to stay. I regretted leaving after taking on the new job; however, I have since left that job for a new industry and am happy where I am (benefits just as good as gov't, minus the fact that I will need to work more hours). It's really up to you. 10 years in is a good amount. Government jobs aren't easy to come by, so make the best decision for you.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM

460 posts, read 779,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
Hello everyone, my name's Mario and I'm looking for advice on my current job situation.
I currently work for the govt as an IT analyst, making 100k/yr. I started off maxed out and haven't received any raises, cost of living adjustments in 10 years. I was initially hired on to maintain their database systems and I exceled above and beyond at what I did there my first few years. In the last 8 years I took over responsibility and administration of 12 other applications. They liked me so much, they kept piling the work on without giving me a raise, since I was already maxed. I understand this is one of the cons of working for govt., but I am thinking of leaving back to the private sector.
My IT specialty is a niche technology and in high demand. W ith my MBA and MS in CS, Ican pretty much find a job paying 150-170k.
I do miss working in the private consulting sector but I also like the flexibility of a govt job. I'm pretty much busy the entire time at my current position, which is great, but I can't put up with the fact that I take on more than I should. They haven't hired anyone to help and I sometimes feel like a one man team. I am 40 years old and wonder if its time for a change. Anyone make the move from public to private and have any regrets?
Thanks for listening.
Part of knowing yourself is knowing when to say no to additional duties, particularly if you aren't being compensated for them. If I'm reading this correctly, you've willingly accepted all additional responsibilities piled on by your bosses. The first thing I would do is have a sit down with your boss, outline what you've posted here, and ask that they either give you a raise to match your duties, or take away some projects and distribute them around fairly to the remaining staff. I wouldn't threaten to leave unless you were willing to back it up.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
If you are getting additional duties piled on, it sounds like your GS grade needs to be bumped up. Are you already at a step 10? Are you working outside of your classification? If a conversation with your boss doesn't work out, I am sure the OPM or someone can do an audit to see if you are being appropriately classified and compensated.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,045,819 times
Forty is about the age an IT person in the private sector starts thinking about getting a government job.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
Won't you get a pension when you retire? And can you get similar vacation and sick time in a private sector job?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:08 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,364 times
You may get a job in the private sector making 75% more but might you have to work 75% more hours as well?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
With most government jobs, after 5 years you are vested in the retirement system. With 10 years in you may get a decent amount if you leave now and remain vested, and can collect on that when you eventually retire from whatever job(s) you get next.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,213,172 times
If you think you are worth more than what the current position is paying, go find yourself another government job (higher grade/responsibility). That's how most people do, if they really want to move up. It's especially true in the Government since the positions are tied to a certain grade level.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,345,131 times
If your making 100000 your either a 13 or 14. Not too many 15 running around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment