Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:43 PM

31 posts, read 97,028 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm currently in a thirty-day training period for Burger King. I was just hired June 4th, and I'm getting used to the input system of the register/POS. On the first day, they put me straight in the drive-thru section which was perplexing at first. Because the managers were completely busy at the time, one of my co-workers explained how to utilize the Burger King register correctly; overall, she was concise about the operations, but some things were left unclear due to the unsettling rush of the day for everyone. It was, of course, unsettling that I started at the busiest time during my training session (12:00pm). All in all, June 4th was an okay start- not good but reasonably acceptable. I later found out that I was $2.00 in shortage. I'm aware that any type of shortage is completely unacceptable, however, I'm painfully aware that no one trained me how to perform proper voids or input coupons, which I concede are the obvious problem elements. As most of you may know, improper voids are considered "cash shortages".

With the concern of preforming proper voids, I've requested clarifications on the matter numerous times to the managers but...to no avail. They say that I wouldn't have to worry about it since I'm only in training,they are the ones that have the ability to void orders/transactions, and I must have accidentally cashed it out. I don't understand what they mean by that. At no point do I perform any additional operations when a void occurs or when a void is needed. I ALWAYS inform a manager immediately when a void rises. The manager would come over, seemingly aggravated, and void out the transaction... And, by the concern of giving a surplus of money to customers, I make sure to count the money precisely three times before taking and giving money. Sure, it might be a tedious process, but it leaves little room for error. Yet, the managers keep admonishing me about counting correctly and informing them on cancellations. I sincerely believe that I'm counting correctly, but the shortages keep coming. Yesterday, on my tenth day of training, I came up 10.06 short. That was the particular day the drive-thru speaker at the second window got a huge order wrong and the managers had to void it on my screen(first window).

I've called the manager and expressed my concerns about the recurring, fluctuating shortages during my training -even pinpointing what could be the main problematic element. But, he only said that experience would only solve the problem, and the problem would be sure to resolve itself.....what? If this is what they mean by patience, then I would begin to deem that impractical. If I'm dealing with money and direct revenue, then this is an issue to be sought out immediately.

Right? Am I missing something here? Should I resign, even in this monetary predicament?

Sorry for the long post. I'm just concerned about this whole ordeal. Again, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 05:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,524,970 times
Are you counting your drawer before you begin? This is fast food. If the manager isn't worried, you shouldn't worry too much. Why resign? It's a job and it's cash.

I am assuming you have a long term career plan in mind so that you are already working on the steps to your next position.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you counting your drawer before you begin? This is fast food. If the manager isn't worried, you shouldn't worry too much. Why resign? It's a job and it's cash.

I am assuming you have a long term career plan in mind so that you are already working on the steps to your next position.
Thanks for the reply, Charly! Yes, I'm counting my drawer every time I clock in. It should always equal $136.25 in the beginning. I may be overreacting for my first job, but as you said, I should stick with it and not worry if the managers aren't concerned. What I find disconcerting is that they always excuse me when counting the till after my shift. I know that I'm supposed to be present when the manager is counting my till before and after shift! What on earth. That's a violation of basic cashiering rules, right?

I have great hours and pay, so resigning is the very, very last action on my conscious. I just want to be the right fit for the job, so they won't put me on another position I didn't interest to. Yes, you're right. I planned that this job will lend me the ability to work in a fast paced environment and work on my people skills mostly. This job is mainly for experience and supplies money for college stuffs.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:16 PM

469 posts, read 399,128 times
You should insist on counting the drawer yourself or at least being there. Otherwise, how do you know they are counting it correctly?

Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgryfon View Post
You should insist on counting the drawer yourself or at least being there. Otherwise, how do you know they are counting it correctly?
Exactly! I've insisted at least being present with them since I've started, but they are conspicuously reluctant to do so. I don't want to be too presumptuous, but I feel as though something's awry here.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:40 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,329,743 times
Simple mistake, or The Manager is scamming.

Voiding cash checks, snagging a ten-spot, hitting all the drawers at random, Comp-ing cash receipts.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 PM

424 posts, read 594,420 times
You sound like quite an intelligent person working with a few inconsiderate morons. Hopefully it works out for you, but I would say you should maybe talk candidly and honestly with your shift manager about your thoughts. I was a cashier or about a year at McDonald's back 10 or so years ago, so i know how you feel about being cautious over your till being short.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladroitmetaphor View Post
What I find disconcerting is that they always excuse me when counting the till after my shift. I know that I'm supposed to be present when the manager is counting my till before and after shift! What on earth. That's a violation of basic cashiering rules, right?
Ask to stay.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
You sound like quite an intelligent person working with a few inconsiderate morons. Hopefully it works out for you, but I would say you should maybe talk candidly and honestly with your shift manager about your thoughts. I was a cashier or about a year at McDonald's back 10 or so years ago, so i know how you feel about being cautious over your till being short.
Thanks, NY. I should be a bit more honest about how I feel, especially when money is in the balance. How was being a cashier for a year? Being in customer service for such a period of time, you learn so much about how inconsiderate people get.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ask to stay.
Will do. Firmly, if I have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment