Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:44 AM

514 posts, read 764,776 times

Advertisements

Are indian degrees fake? Whenever I ask my Indian colleagues where they went to school or what they majored in, they always give me some bizarre sounding college and curriculum. i.e. "component engineering at bombay science institute of electrical technology and science"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Are indian degrees fake? Whenever I ask my Indian colleagues where they went to school or what they majored in, they always give me some bizarre sounding college and curriculum. i.e. "component engineering at bombay science institute of electrical technology and science"
Why does that sound bizarre to you?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:17 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
Indian degrees are no more fake than our own. India has fine engineering and medical schools.

The quality of your colleagues education should be reflected in their work.

Children are educated in English in India because there are so many ethnic groups with their own language. Not all teachers are excellent English speakers which is why many of us have difficulty understanding them on the phone.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
It's the same as here. Some programs are poor while others are good. India has a greater focus on engineering programs so they may offer more programs than they do here.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:27 AM

531 posts, read 1,177,693 times
Bizarre sounding only because you have never heard of it.

Just in case you didn't notice, The British Education System has great influence on Indian Education.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM

741 posts, read 915,738 times
Their education system is radically different from our own. They did a big overhaul in the 1990's with a huge focus on marketable skills/

The problem is, vetting their degrees and educational background.

If I moved to India and claimed I went to the University of (wherever) and received my degree in (whatever), what are the odds that the guy who only speaks Hindi will be able to verify any of that? Hell, the vast majority of employers in the US don't vet educational background for positions below a certain pay grade (but hope you don't ever get tapped for promotion, because they usually do so without your knowing and suddenly, after working there for 3 years, you get a call into HR to answer some 'questions')

Also, document forgery in India is like a national pastime.

High risk hire.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Their education system is radically different from our own. They did a big overhaul in the 1990's with a huge focus on marketable skills/

The problem is, vetting their degrees and educational background.

If I moved to India and claimed I went to the University of (wherever) and received my degree in (whatever), what are the odds that the guy who only speaks Hindi will be able to verify any of that? Hell, the vast majority of employers in the US don't vet educational background for positions below a certain pay grade (but hope you don't ever get tapped for promotion, because they usually do so without your knowing and suddenly, after working there for 3 years, you get a call into HR to answer some 'questions')
If you're dealing with college educated people in India, chances are that they speak English. The good schools in the US are well recognized in India as well and can be easily verified.

Same applies with the good schools in India. They are used to verifying records for American employers. Companies like HireRight will do this for you.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
An Indian degree is subpar compared to Euro and American standards. US Schools have tougher, if not the toughest, curriculum in the world. I've met a few "Doctorals" from Indian and was rather unimpressed.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:54 AM

741 posts, read 915,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Same applies with the good schools in India. They are used to verifying records for American employers. Companies like HireRight will do this for you.
I'll withhold comment on that exact company on the matter of a false positive in a background check.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
An Indian degree is subpar compared to Euro and American standards. US Schools have tougher, if not the toughest, curriculum in the world. I've met a few "Doctorals" from Indian and was rather unimpressed.
While US schools have a great curriculum it's only limited to a handful of schools. The vast majority are fairly low in standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment