Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 05:41 AM

514 posts, read 766,982 times

Advertisements

This is nothing but the howling call of the losers who were laid off because they actually sucked at what they do. It never fails to amaze how highly people in IT value themselves in terms of productivity. Many of them produce junk code, cant meet a deadline, and bury themselves in silos their entire career. The reality is there are far more jobs vacancies in product development than there are workers. The problem is the aforementioned idiots are smart enough to qualify for such positions, so they instead sulk in the unemployment line, carrying on endlessly about indians and their little dcks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,778,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I will bet all you guys didn't say a word when all us blue collars were losing our jobs for decades to illegals. Now that you all are feeling the invasion to do "jobs Americans just don't want to do". How does it feel. HHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
That's not something to laugh about for either camp. This is a serious problem that needs to stop. It's hurting our youth and people who just want a chance to prove themselves in the workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
This is nothing but the howling call of the losers who were laid off because they actually sucked at what they do. It never fails to amaze how highly people in IT value themselves in terms of productivity. Many of them produce junk code, cant meet a deadline, and bury themselves in silos their entire career. The reality is there are far more jobs vacancies in product development than there are workers. The problem is the aforementioned idiots are smart enough to qualify for such positions, so they instead sulk in the unemployment line, carrying on endlessly about indians and their little dcks.
Cute, but no.

Last edited by deposite; 07-10-2014 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,849,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Since then, I've started my own personal "campaign" don't be NICE to foreign workers. Ever notice, they can't speak English and act like its YOUR fault? I suppose in "their" country, if someone didn't understand, they were illiterate, uneducated, deserving of scorn. But hey, they are NOT in THEIR country,they are here. I speak English, if they don't understand, I demand to speak with a supervisor. If perhaps more people simple refused to put up with being treated inferior in their own country because some ***head can't mumble through, they might start hiring more of us English-speakers
You cant speak English either. Your racist "campaign" is not enough to chase away 40,000 doctors & many more scientists, engineers, professors in science & mathematics who have migrated from India. It might work on someone you run into at the front desk of a motel or a gas station. But you will be thrown out if you try to interrupt a class at MIT to be mean to the Indian professor.

Not all foreign workers deserve to be treated this way. A LOT of us have worked very hard to become successful in this country. I pay my taxes, haven't lied on my resume, was never out of status & I have been generating awareness about fraud practices by other immigrants & requesting the govt. to investigate them. I am on the side of good people that includes honest hard working immigrants & US citizens. Indians have contributed a lot to scientific research. If some immoral people found loopholes in the system to get away with lying then how is it our fault as a community? Everyone gets affected by corruption. Science & Maths are highly respected fields in India & as a result a lot of students choose to specialize in these fields. "Nerds" are very popular in our country so everyone is working hard for good grades. We dont invest much in good looks as they fade away with time & since we are busy studying most part of our lives, we dont have enough time to work on our social skills.

India doesn't have enough resources to support the 2nd largest population in the world, so we are forced to look elsewhere for survival. We are over-qualified for the jobs offered in India. Since USA is a country that offers plenty of opportunities in science & technology, we come here to learn & contribute to these fields. And FYI, since India used to be ruled by the British, English became our official language & majority schools have English as medium of education, which means we study all subjects in English language. The accent is different just like someone from New York might not be able to understand a southern accent.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,345,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

If perhaps more people simple refused to put up with being treated inferior in their own country because some ***head can't mumble through, they might start hiring more of us English-speakers
I can't actually believe that you pulled out rag head. Get your damn racist stereotypes straight. Male Sikhs wear a turban, but they're a minority in India, only about 2% of the overal population, plus it's a religion, not a race. The vast majority are Hindu (again a religion) which predates Christianity by about 1500 years. People in the sub-continent were building empires centuries before my Anglo Saxon relatives had developed beyond mud huts.

What's your accent in your second (or sometimes third) language like? Do you sound like a native speaker?

So, I'm sorry your husband lost his job, but stop being such a damn bigot.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,603,754 times
[quote=deposite;35588030]That's not something to laugh about for either camp. This is a serious problem that needs to stop. It's hurting our youth and people who just want a chance to prove themselves in the workforce.

Well its been going on for FORTY plus years in the Blue Collar jobs, The Whites sure weren't singing the blues all this time. Mostly we got told to get an "education and get a real job", then you won't lose your job. As more and more white collars lose their jobs perhaps illegal and legal immigration will be seriously considered.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,215,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Not all foreign workers deserve to be treated this way. A LOT of us have worked very hard to become successful in this country. I pay my taxes, haven't lied on my resume, was never out of status & I have been generating awareness about fraud practices by other immigrants & requesting the govt. to investigate them. I am on the side of good people that includes honest hard working immigrants & US citizens. Indians have contributed a lot to scientific research. If some immoral people found loopholes in the system to get away with lying then how is it our fault as a community? Everyone gets affected by corruption. Science & Maths are highly respected fields in India & as a result a lot of students choose to specialize in these fields. "Nerds" are very popular in our country so everyone is working hard for good grades. We dont invest much in good looks as they fade away with time & since we are busy studying most part of our lives, we dont have enough time to work on our social skills.

India doesn't have enough resources to support the 2nd largest population in the world, so we are forced to look elsewhere for survival. We are over-qualified for the jobs offered in India. Since USA is a country that offers plenty of opportunities in science & technology, we come here to learn & contribute to these fields. And FYI, since India used to be ruled by the British, English became our official language & majority schools have English as medium of education, which means we study all subjects in English language. The accent is different just like someone from New York might not be able to understand a southern accent.
I don't think anyone is grouping all Indian H-1Bs into the "throw them all out" category. It goes without saying that there are skilled Indian engineers, doctors, dentists, etc who have emigrated here and are contributing to U.S. society in an intellectual way.

The beef here is that all H-1Bs are not created equal and American citizens in the STEM fields are losing their jobs to H-1B workers. I have worked with many supposedly qualified H-1B IT consultants who probably should have been shining shoes instead of programming. And yes, I have also worked with American citizens who could not cut the mustard.

There should be no case where an H-1B takes a job when there is an American citizen available and qualified to fill the job. Just because the H-1B was issued said visa does not mean they are guaranteed a position at the expense of Americans. Couple that with the seeming favortism and greed of certain employers and headhunters and you can see why Americans with many years of experience and proper qualifications are angry.

As for your comment about social skills ... Americans believe in a well-rounded lifestyle, not just one with your nose stuck in a book or computer. And we encourage that from an early age ... academics are important here, but so are sports programs and other extra curricular activities like the arts, Scouting, school clubs, etc.

But I'm sure you know that if you've been here for awhile ...

Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM

302 posts, read 369,878 times
Suing any employer that discriminates against you is FREE - EEOC offices are located in almost every state and can be reached by internet .

Age, sex, color , religion , origin , etc. discrimination is against FEDERAL law and once you lodge a complaint with them , the company must answer that complaint .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
You know, at this point I'm so numb to the corruption, incompetence and political scandal that have wracked this country, it's very hard for me to work up motivation to be more proactive in this manner. I might do that but Is there any other department of agency I can contact? I realize labor laws aren't usually well enforced...

Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,315,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
They already have to pay a fee to sponsor an H-1B. Those fees are supposedly going into a fund to train Americans so that H1-Bs are no longer needed

Here is what I propose since money talks with these companies.

Give them a tax break for every American citizen they hire. Make the tax break even bigger if they do the following: 1) Give training to an American citizen who has been out of work so long that his/her skills have gone rusty. This shouldn't take long as my husband says, experienced IT people are quick to pick up new IT skills; 2) Pay to relocate an American citizen who needs a job.

In addition to the above, make the cost of sponsoring an H1-B so high that it is cheaper for them to give training or relocation costs to an American.

Also, fix things so that there is no way that an H1-B visa can lead to a green card.

Then, when an H1-B's visa is up, send him/her back to their own country.

Write the new rules so that there are no loopholes to exploit.

After all this is in place, companies will think twice about bringing in H1-Bs.
I would also propose that the minimum salary for H1B's.

If the skill sets companies are so rare that they need to bring in foreigners, then they should be paying them as such.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:39 AM

431 posts, read 601,766 times
Quote:
And FYI, since India used to be ruled by the British, English became our official language & majority schools have English as medium of education, which means we study all subjects in English language.
Dammit! I might have known it was our fault all along. Oh well, Rule Britannia!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 AM

10,117 posts, read 19,469,877 times
Quote:
You cant speak English either. Your racist "campaign" is not enough to chase away 40,000 doctors & many more scientists, engineers, professors in science & mathematics who have migrated from India. It might work on someone you run into at the front desk of a motel or a gas station. But you will be thrown out if you try to interrupt a class at MIT to be mean to the Indian professor.

See, you don't get it

You bring your caste system with you, and expect it to work here, just like it does "back home". You might be considered superior in "your country" but no one's buying it here. You're the ones who are racist, and expect the rest of us to follow along. This is a different country, with a different culture, get used to it! Stop displaying your open disdain for anyone you consider inferior, and expect us to just suck it up. We're not impressed with the fact that you "went to university" or speak some mish-mash version of English. If you're so g-da**ed superior, what are you doing here? why aren't you back in India, helping build a better country for yourselves, rather than coming here and taking our abundant resources for your own, to #ell with the very Americans who built those opportunities in the first place.

I wonder how I would be treated in India, if I went there expecting to have handed to me what the indigenious population has built for themselves, and bow to me in the process? Somehow, I don't think so......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment