Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,220 times

Advertisements

I started a job in a call center/customer service division as an hourly employee with hours 9am-6pm which is the hours that customer service is open. My manager wants us to keep our phones open until 6:02pm for any late callers and to take those calls. There are time when I will not leave until 6:10, 6:15 or even 6:30pm

I was told that anything up until 15 minutes we will not get paid for, so if I work until 6:15pm, I get no OT and if I work until 6:30pm, I would get 15 minutes.

As an hourly employee, I should be paid for everything after 6pm, correct?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,585,648 times
Title 29, Part 785.48 (Hours Worked)

(b)
"Rounding" practices.
It has been found that in some industries, particularly where time clocks are used, there has been the practice for many years of recording the employees’ starting time and stopping time to the nearest 5 minutes, or to the nearest one-tenth or quarter of an hour. Presumably, this arrangement averages out so that the employees are fully compensated for all the time they actually work. For enforcement purposes this practice of computing working time will be accepted, provided that it is used in such a manner that it will not result, over a period of time, in failure to compensate the employees properly for all the time they have actually worked.

Under the circumstances described, if your employer isn't recording your time by the minute then you should do so.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
They should pay you for 1/4 of an hour if you are there at 6:08 or after. The half hour should kick in at 6:23. If you leave at 6:05 you don't get any OT. If they manage their clock by the quarter hour, they should round your actual time worked to the nearest quarter hour.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,810,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorris782 View Post
I started a job in a call center/customer service division as an hourly employee with hours 9am-6pm which is the hours that customer service is open. My manager wants us to keep our phones open until 6:02pm for any late callers and to take those calls. There are time when I will not leave until 6:10, 6:15 or even 6:30pm

I was told that anything up until 15 minutes we will not get paid for, so if I work until 6:15pm, I get no OT and if I work until 6:30pm, I would get 15 minutes.

As an hourly employee, I should be paid for everything after 6pm, correct?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks
I have never heard of this type of "rounding down" policy.

I have worked twice as an hourly employee. Both times I was paid for every minute.
Both places I had to use a clock to punch in.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/011.htm
overtime pay after 40 hours

Interestingly, I am working contract now, and any hours over 8 in a day is considered OT.
So, one week, I worked 4 days but one of those days, I stayed an extra 15 minutes. I was paid OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment