Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 12:55 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Many people take out loans to pay for college expenses. Over 4+ years these loans can add up, ranging from $20k-$200k. As with any loan, they must be paid back which generally means you will be shouldering a monthly loan payment.
Many students nowadays do take 5 or 6 years to get a 4-year degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHez View Post
Small business like Coffee shop, Small Bar, Small hotel on a road bteween two states, It's not costy to find a good spot and make a good video then approach it to the local people to support it, I've seen the power of crowdfunding and it's amazing, i've seen 8k backers backed over 320k in less than a month !
Never done crowdfunding for these types of businesses. I wonder what kind of rewards backers are expecting for this, and if it's easier to pay off then those investing in a product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 05:54 PM

906 posts, read 712,666 times
keel over and die, or that's the attitude that's given off

Old 12-27-2014, 06:06 PM

906 posts, read 712,666 times
keel over and die, or that's the attitude that's given off

Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why are you pretending that only these two extremes exist?

I can see what's holding you back: lack of critical thinking skills, defensiveness, short-term thinking and using emotions rather than logic to reach (flawed) conclusions about the world around you.
If I'm being defensive at all, I wouldn't be defensive if someone would hire me. I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong but no one has because they won't give me a chance.
However, I know being not so sociable does hold one back from getting a retail job.
What critical thinking am I lacking? There are many things holding me back and not being sociable is one of them. Maybe rude isn't the right word exactly but I've noticed plenty of people who have worked at the places I apply for were incompetent. Some are helpful but others not so much...
To be fair I am anti-logic just like my star sign says however another thing that I know is logical is people do judge/discriminate. It's a known fact that a lot of people just don't get me so is it really that far fetched to think an employer wouldn't either?

Last edited by Nickchick; 12-28-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 11:00 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No employer is going to reject you because you have a hair out of place, all of this "unfair" talk is ridiculous. They will hire you if you are the best person for the job. If you were the only applicant and met the requirements, and they rejected you then maybe they were being unfair. More likely there are 25-100 others applying, and you just didn't come off as the best to them.
For menial jobs it's not about being the best person. It's all about who you blow. This is what we are trying to explain to you. And it's more like 500-1,000 applying. At some point you realize it's not YOU. It's the economy, and the attitudes people have, and the dog eat dog mentality that drives this world today.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
It doesn't cost anything to start a sole proprietorship.
But it can end up costing a lot if you don't have the experience to know what you are doing.

And no, college does not provide experience.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:52 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
For menial jobs it's not about being the best person. It's all about who you blow. This is what we are trying to explain to you. And it's more like 500-1,000 applying. At some point you realize it's not YOU. It's the economy, and the attitudes people have, and the dog eat dog mentality that drives this world today.
Once again, I call bullxxxx.

I spent many years hiring entry level, min wage people. Hundreds per year. Yes, I would occasionally throw some work to a friend, or the child of a friend, but the vast majority of hires were people completely unknown to me. Even if I wanted to hire nothing but friends, relatives, and hot blonds, I don't know that many people who would qualify.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
I took a job just to ensure I receive a pay check. However, still looking for a job. Few thing's one apply no matter how silly or dumb it may be for a WIA approved program...do it early takes three to four months to be approved. It also extends unemployment. Take part of career service classes with unemployment agencies, utilize their computers, and other services available at unemployment agencies. Talk to temp. agencies and just continue to apply. Also make connrctions and network. Take time for yourself do something you enjoy and don't an perseverate on being unemployed. Do shut out the negative people in your life telling you ate worthless because you are jobless.

Best of luck and don't give up.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:30 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I took a job just to ensure I receive a pay check. However, still looking for a job. Few thing's one apply no matter how silly or dumb it may be for a WIA approved program...do it early takes three to four months to be approved. It also extends unemployment. Take part of career service classes with unemployment agencies, utilize their computers, and other services available at unemployment agencies. Talk to temp. agencies and just continue to apply. Also make connrctions and network. Take time for yourself do something you enjoy and don't an perseverate on being unemployed. Do shut out the negative people in your life telling you ate worthless because you are jobless.

Best of luck and don't give up.
Great advice and probably the best one can do for the interim. At some point you swallow your pride and take what is available whilst at the same time still working, still aiming, still mainlining and improving one's skills that will lead to a better job down the road.

For instance I have a family member who graduated college and is working at Burger King-clearly and in no way shape and form not his post grad goal. However he is on the management track (which was a slog to get to), he is working his way up. According to him his goal is to one day own/run the restaurant at the particular location he is at and if he is unhappy with Burger King, at the very least he will walk out with experience and good/verifiable references on his resume.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Trust me worse job ever I took...just something to hold the tide till I can leave and go on to other pastures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment