Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They're looking in the $80-$82k range, and I just turned down an offer for $95k (over $100k with bonus) due to the incredibly...and I do mean INCREDIBLY...crappy hours and commute. I'd be out of my house probably 12-14 hours a day with that job. No brainer.

I'd ask for them to bake in a raise after six months to my usual range before I'd consider an offer. Seriously. I'd rather hold out for a few more weeks than take a beating like that. I HAVE SSIS and I'd have to use it at that job, it's not like I'd be using SSRS/Qlikview the whole time.

Stupid question, are you currently employed? Can't quite remember
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 03:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Stupid question, are you currently employed? Can't quite remember
Nope, still looking for a job.

They passed on me; everyone on the team loved me except one guy, who thought it would take "too much time" to train me. Whatever. The commute would have sucked anyway.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:14 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
I took a pay cut to move more fully over into the SQL Reporting realm (have never used SSRS before but can write crazy comples SQL queries on my own). I like databases a heckuva lot better then web development, at this point, and, like you, have major soft skills. My commute is 45 minutes, which I can live with.

The big selling point to me is that I'm moving into a growing industry into a company that will provide opportunities to advance up the chain or sideways into another part of IT. No outsourcing, everyone co-located, etc.

The pay cut was worth it to me for those opportunities that didn't exist at my old job.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
I would have counter offered to meet in the middle or...If you are a rockstar, which I'm betting you are, you can negotiate a raise after a few months. I did that TWICE at the same company, once because I had a better offer and took my offer letter to them, and another time because I had leverage; all their projects depended on me and if they lost me it would cost them since no one else on the team had the skills to do it (in fact their projects got kicked to me by management).

I think it is worth taking a small cut sometimes to gain new skills. I learned SSRS at my current job and have a love/hate relationship with it. I like it better than patching servers in the middle of the night, migrating web sites (SharePoint) or databases, etc. but I also don't care for some of the endless change requests from the business side. I do enjoy writing the code more, and enjoy it more than traditional software development.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
I wouldn't have taken it. It's less money. I live in the same city and have less experience. Companies are responding at about a 50% rate. The salary range is usually $75-95k/yr, even without SSRS.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I would have counter offered to meet in the middle or...If you are a rockstar, which I'm betting you are, you can negotiate a raise after a few months. I did that TWICE at the same company, once because I had a better offer and took my offer letter to them, and another time because I had leverage; all their projects depended on me and if they lost me it would cost them since no one else on the team had the skills to do it (in fact their projects got kicked to me by management).

I think it is worth taking a small cut sometimes to gain new skills. I learned SSRS at my current job and have a love/hate relationship with it. I like it better than patching servers in the middle of the night, migrating web sites (SharePoint) or databases, etc. but I also don't care for some of the endless change requests from the business side. I do enjoy writing the code more, and enjoy it more than traditional software development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I wouldn't have taken it. It's less money. I live in the same city and have less experience. Companies are responding at about a 50% rate. The salary range is usually $75-95k/yr, even without SSRS.
Thanks y'all, but this was almost a month ago and this company passed on me. Their loss. I got a job that pays more money and has a better commute. I start next week. I get to be the QUERY EXECUTION PLAN NINJA. (Yes, we do exist. Some people really do know how to read an execution plan.)

Old 08-06-2014, 07:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Thanks y'all, but this was almost a month ago and this company passed on me. Their loss. I got a job that pays more money and has a better commute. I start next week. I get to be the QUERY EXECUTION PLAN NINJA. (Yes, we do exist. Some people really do know how to read an execution plan.)
Hey, congratulations, BigDGeek!!!!

You have a great attitude - the first company didn't hire you and you just said it was their loss, and you ended up with something better. GREAT NEWS!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Hey, congratulations, BigDGeek!!!!

You have a great attitude - the first company didn't hire you and you just said it was their loss, and you ended up with something better. GREAT NEWS!
Thanks! I did update my status under my username a while back.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Thanks! I did update my status under my username a while back.
Guilty of not reading them - so I'm glad you mentioned your new job in this thread!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Guilty of not reading them - so I'm glad you mentioned your new job in this thread!
Thanks! I just hope this one works out better than the last one did. Ugh, what a mistake that one was. Should have taken the Glassdoor.com reviews more seriously. I've since added my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment