Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 04:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Job hunting is stressful and demoralizing. The way people are hired has changed so much in the past few years, that the process has become very impersonal and computerized, that it's hard to even get interviews.

Along with that, there is so much competition for the lowest of jobs, wages have gone down, the job recovery has proceeded at a snails pace.

When someone is long term unemployed, it's very hard to stay positive and many people become depressed. People come onto this forum to vent, and maybe get a "keep trying, don't give up" response.

Many people have lost their savings, homes and dignity in this most recent depression. If you used to have a decent paying job and lifestyle, trying to come to terms that you may never have that again is extremely hard. (especially if you are middle aged or older).

Just remember that this forum is only a small part of someone's tale, not the whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Sounds about right to me.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Agreed!

Plus, I would not whine about it to the world....
^ Yes, after reading some of the replies to some of the posters concerning a job loss I would never consider posting job woes on the c-d forum. Far more bearable to discuss it with friends and family and allow them to tell you that you're 'negative, not trying hard enough, it's all in your mind, no, it's not your age, don't tell them your age, yes it is your age...get over it and keep plugging, take any job you can get to at least get your foot in the door even if it is minimum wage and will barely pay (or not at all) for the gas/train/bus fare to get to the job, lie about your college degrees, make something up, fabricate this or that...'; in other words, shut up and pull yourself up by your bootstraps, as if no one is doing that already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Agreed.

Some people simply come here to vent their frustration and find a shoulder or two to cry on, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (sometimes that's what we all need as humans). If this bothers you, that's what the ignore list is for.

They don't need insensitive bores coming on here to shame them from doing so.
With all due respect...at the op

Yes, perhaps some of the posters sound like they're whining and for all we know they are literally in tears everyday that they have to face the prospect of doing the same thing over and over again without even receiving an acknowledgement from the perspective employer who no longer even bothers with an automated response stating that their resume and cover letter were received and...yada, yada, yada, so on and so forth; and then nothing else, ever again...until tomorrow when they get up and get to do it all over again, trying to think outside of the box!

Lighten up op, as 313 has already pointed out, if it is just too much to take to 'listen' and read about all the 'whiners' out there looking for work...immediately put them on ignore and you can then be relieved of all that entitlement mentality you perceive them to have.

Best regards,

Home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 04:58 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I have noticed there's been a MAJOR infiltration of self-righteous bootstrappers with sticks up their butts on this forum over the past year or so.

Its almost as if they all met at a McDonalds in Des Moines, IA during the Polar Vortex Blizzard this past winter and collectively decided that they would spend the gist of their days trolling an internet forum to attack and trivialize the struggles of complete strangers they know nothing about because they're so calloused from their own unfortunate life experiences.

Agreed.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
I understand the point of view of the bootstrapper. But the bootstrappers go too far. They assume that because they have no problems training, picking up skills, going to where the work is and similar strategies, that everyone can do it as well. Basically, they lack empathy.

Even though I'm basically a bootstrapper at heart, I understand that I was dealt a good hand in genetic poker. I also attended college during a time when it was absolutely possible to work full time, study full time, and graduate from a very good school without any debt. (The down side being sleep loss and lack of a social life.) Furthermore, I entered the job market when you really could simply walk into an office, shake hands with a manager and have a job that started the following Monday.

None of that applies any more.

And that being said, I think that much of the "bootstrappers suck" mentality online comes in no small way from people chafing at the suggestion that complaining is a cop out. Simply complaining is the lazy way to make excuses for one's situation. It's more challenging to do something about having the wrong skill set or not enough education. All of the useless effort made complaining could be spent productively -- community college classes, GED preparation, or volunteering. (Especially volunteering. If I was jobless and desperate, I would volunteer somewhere in order to network. It's good for the self-esteem and it creates opportunity.)

Old 07-19-2014, 09:24 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Originally Posted by Emigrations
I know BS accountants stuck in call centers. CS people working the help desk. A finance guy working as an assistant manager at a Rent-A-Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Give them props for working those jobs until a better opportunity comes along.
They may be doomed. Apparently, the perceptions of some hiring managers (I've spoken to a semi-acquaintance who's a hiring manager herself) is if you couldn't find work in your actual field for so long and had to resort to this, you're hiding something and not desirable.

For example, some marketing guy worked in sales at some department store, All of his previous experiences were in actual marketing. The guy wants to try to go back to marketing, but this HM didn't want anything to do with a guy who had to take on a sales job because "it looks questionable".

Old 07-19-2014, 10:29 PM

469 posts, read 637,532 times
It is real easy to have a clear head about things when its not happening to you. Life is funny like that EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED and don't think you are out of the woods because RIGHT NOW you are not experiencing the same hardships as others.

With what judgment you mete to others with be meet back to you in the same manner. Be very careful.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowborn View Post
Interesting views on this thread. One thing to remember is that often it isn't just one person being affected by joblessness. Many are part of a family, and need to be contributing to it to pay the bills. Moving to different areas may not be reasonable for some w/children, ailing parents, etc... I agree that the forum allows people to vent their frustrations, hopefully in the long run it is good for them.

Telling people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps makes the one telling that feel better. It's hard to hear others complain so to ease the discomfort they get tough. Tough Love! Hey, that may not work at the time you are venting your frustrations w/theirs, but hopefully both sides are planted w/seeds of what the other is saying, and eventually compassion may blossom.

It is good for people to tell their stories of how they climbed out of despair, as it may shed light in areas not previously considered. But remember, we are all wired a bit different, and my coping skills may look nothing like yours. So go ahead, those not finding work, let it all out to those willing and not willing to listen. Tomorrow the shoe may be on the other foot. Just don't carry that same griping attitude w/you into your search/interview as it will show.

I have been in the work field several decades now, and do see how impersonal job interviewing has become, this is unfortunate, for I have known many excellent workers who would look terrible on paper (or on-line). Actually meeting them and hearing them answer in real time, having eye contact, understanding body language, all go a long way to judge the potential of an employee.
I couldn't possibly have said that better myself.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
One phrase that comes to mind here: Just-world fallacy.

I guess my thing is with so much hatred towards those who are struggling and the unemployed than why respond to their threads then? If you feel the people making these threads are losers than why respond unless it was for the sole purpose of kicking them when they are down and puffing up your own ego?

And yes for some people venting and talking things out does help.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
After reading all the threads talking about people not able to find a job, it seems that there is a blatantly obvious pattern. Everyone is out to get them, all companies and employees are crooked while they are model employees who would make an excellent hire. Pay no attention to the rants and all the things they say on here which would be an obvious red flag to an employer. Ignore how easily they can trash talk a company because they didn't fit the job description.

Does anyone else see this, or is it just me?

Seriously people, if you really want a job check your attitude and conspiracy theories at the door and get on the hunt. The world is NOT out to get you. The choices you made at some point in your career led you down this path. Or, if not, the choices you will make after an unfortunate event will determine where your path leads you in the future. No one owes you anything. You owe it to yourself to shoulder the responsibility and get out there and fight through it.
I see very few people who want to work for themselves doing any kind of work that someone will actually PAY them to do. Like odd jobs, cleaning up yards, learning a trade, etc.

They think that starting a business means trying to be the next Apple Computer or Tesla Motors. The thought never occurs to them to try a boring but solid idea like a landscaping business, auto repair, house painting, etc.

It's shocking to see just how lacking in independent judgement some of these people are. Most want a pre-fabbed script handed to them from some authority figure that doesn't require much more than obedience, then they complain about how much they hate their jobs.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:14 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
One phrase that comes to mind here: Just-world fallacy.

I guess my thing is with so much hatred towards those who are struggling and the unemployed than why respond to their threads then? If you feel the people making these threads are losers than why respond unless it was for the sole purpose of kicking them when they are down and puffing up your own ego?

And yes for some people venting and talking things out does help.

I know. Offline and online I am around people that vent and complain, but I don't let it bother me to the point that I need to create a thread about it. I mean why whine and complain about those who whine and complain? It goes both ways.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
It is real easy to have a clear head about things when its not happening to you. Life is funny like that EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED and don't think you are out of the woods because RIGHT NOW you are not experiencing the same hardships as others.

With what judgment you mete to others with be meet back to you in the same manner. Be very careful.

I like this post! Great response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment