Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Multi-hour interviews: disturbing results, show interest and enthusiasm, job seekers, reputable companies

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,806 times

Advertisements

This ridiculous stuff happens in other states as well, believe me. The best part is when they don't hire you, and then 3 months later you see their same help wanted ad again because the people they did hire didn't work out or quit. Getting work in America seems rather arbitrary, and intelligence is neither ubiquitous or in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM

54 posts, read 312,035 times
To the OP, you're situation is interesting, as everyone gets told some BS at interviews all the time. I was told in a first interview that "oh, we only hire new college grads, we like to shape their minds." to a second interview at the same place with, "well, I usually don't hire college grads, not saying I never have, I just usually don't." Everyone feeds a line of BS, and frankly I wouldn't want to work for companies who need to make up excuses like that, only problem is, I wish i would know ahead of time so I could just walk out on them and make them feel like an ass. Anyways, that seems rather high schoolish to blame everything on your location (wisconsin), the grass is definitely not greener on the other side. Have you read the papers lately? Well, if you have, or even turned on the tv for 5 minutes, you would know that the US is in credit/housing/economic "crisis" at this time, and there are hard times everywhere in the country. This means that companies cut back, lay people off, and don't hire as many new people. I guarantee you that you would have the same problems in any other state, if not worse. The midwest is known for friendlier people, and you probably don't have any other a-holes from different parts of the country to compare this to. All I can say is when you find the right job, you will get it. I always make myself think that there are reasons I didn't get/take a certain job or other things, and in hindsight it usually is for the best.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hi all- Yes me again Had yet another several rounds of multi-hour interviews, with some disturbing results. For one company, after a total of 6 hours worth of interviews, and getting great feedback, that I was doing"everything right", I found out I was no longer a candidate because I was "too interested in the position and too enthusiastic" I thought companies actually WANT candidates to show interest and enthusiasm!! Another company had me go thru 3 hours of interviews with 5 different folks, and after a 3 week, multi-hour process, they decided not to hire anyone, that the "position" no longer exists!
What exactly is going on with Wi companies??? Is the cold weather getting to the logic and decency parts of their brains and freezing them?? Can they really be this arrogant & ridiculous towards job seekers? Each time, it's some new, previously unheard of excuse or weird action on their part? I ask, somewhat rhetorically" WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO???? I mean just when you think you've heard it and seen it all, something new pops up. From seemingly reputable companies too. Selective is one thing, totally ridiculous is quite another. I can't do any more than I already have, I've put a lot of time and effort into all this, it just seems to be for naught. Maybe yet another sign to get out. Not sure what else to think. anyone else have simliar challenges?

Okay, here is my take on this.
I have seen similar, and it's not about you.
I think sometimes, they will tell you they didn't hire anyone, so you don't go away, so no one goes away. That way, when John Doe doesn't work out, they can say "Next!"
There is no "too enthusiastic." The question to that would be, "How enthusiastic is too enthusiastic?" Just craziness. If you had the skills and credentials to do the job, and they needed to fill that job, they wouldn't be nit picking.
You know what it is...they have too many candidates. It is the same all over the midwest. I've heard of places, from headhunters, where they have stackes of resumes. Different fields, too.
Any job I have ever been hired in, the department manager hired me, then walked me down to HR to fill out the necessary paperwork.
I know what you are going through. They try to make it like it's about you, but it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment