Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Multi-hour interviews: disturbing results, show interest and enthusiasm, job seekers, reputable companies

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times

Advertisements

Hi all- Yes me again Had yet another several rounds of multi-hour interviews, with some disturbing results. For one company, after a total of 6 hours worth of interviews, and getting great feedback, that I was doing"everything right", I found out I was no longer a candidate because I was "too interested in the position and too enthusiastic" I thought companies actually WANT candidates to show interest and enthusiasm!! Another company had me go thru 3 hours of interviews with 5 different folks, and after a 3 week, multi-hour process, they decided not to hire anyone, that the "position" no longer exists!
What exactly is going on with Wi companies??? Is the cold weather getting to the logic and decency parts of their brains and freezing them?? Can they really be this arrogant & ridiculous towards job seekers? Each time, it's some new, previously unheard of excuse or weird action on their part? I ask, somewhat rhetorically" WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO???? I mean just when you think you've heard it and seen it all, something new pops up. From seemingly reputable companies too. Selective is one thing, totally ridiculous is quite another. I can't do any more than I already have, I've put a lot of time and effort into all this, it just seems to be for naught. Maybe yet another sign to get out. Not sure what else to think. anyone else have simliar challenges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 03:06 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
I am actually in between jobs right now too because of relocating to another state. I personally feel this is the WORST time to look for a job with the Holidays approaching. I had an interview last week and it turned out that they thought I was too qualified for the position. They had my resume beforehand so they knew my qualifications ahead of time so why waste my time and theirs? I guess I did not "fit" the profile they were looking for. They actually ended up giving me a number of someone that may be hiring for what they thought I would be better suited for. It was weird........ I walked in for an interview and felt as though I left with a headhunter! Although the job was not exactly what I was looking for but I need a job right now so I was willing to just take what I can get at this point. It was just all too strange, I had never encountered an interview quite like that. I can sympathize with you on the job hunting though.........it can be a very daunting.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I can understand your frustration LeaveWI because I went through the same thing in 2004, wasted time, effort and gasoline driving around to job interviews, but like everything else, it's a numbers game you have to put your best effort into it, although I am wondering about the "Too interested and too enthusiastic" reason they gave you. I guess that's their "nice" way to make you feel good about yourself, instead of telling you "we're going to hire somebody else".

It would be nice if there was a law or something that forces companies to pay candidates they interview if the process takes more than 2 hours, they should consider that your time is as valuable as theirs.

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:58 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
I like your idea!!! We have to laugh about something.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Interesting. The 2nd one where the position no longer exists I can see a company deciding, hey, we can't afford this position anymore or they found out what they needed and what they planned to pay for it were too far apart.

The 1st one - too interested, too enthusiastic - might be code for too desperate, too intense, too over the top, or too Type A. Maybe something like that. Perhaps it's a low key environment. More relaxed culture. That is a pretty strange thing to be told though.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
My guess: Low pay in a "laid back" environment. I once had a manager tell me at the interview that "We're not all gung-ho here.". Within a minute later, I saw one of his staff who apparently did not own an iron. Then he told me the salary. I said no thanks.

Places with slack staff do not want somebody with energy coming in making them look even more insufficient than they are. I had to dumb down resume big time just to get a job in one town. They see the credentials and think they can't afford you.
Don't put previous salaries on there.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hi all- Yes me again Had yet another several rounds of multi-hour interviews, with some disturbing results. For one company, after a total of 6 hours worth of interviews, and getting great feedback, that I was doing"everything right", I found out I was no longer a candidate because I was "too interested in the position and too enthusiastic" I thought companies actually WANT candidates to show interest and enthusiasm!! Another company had me go thru 3 hours of interviews with 5 different folks, and after a 3 week, multi-hour process, they decided not to hire anyone, that the "position" no longer exists!
What exactly is going on with Wi companies??? Is the cold weather getting to the logic and decency parts of their brains and freezing them?? Can they really be this arrogant & ridiculous towards job seekers? Each time, it's some new, previously unheard of excuse or weird action on their part? I ask, somewhat rhetorically" WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO???? I mean just when you think you've heard it and seen it all, something new pops up. From seemingly reputable companies too. Selective is one thing, totally ridiculous is quite another. I can't do any more than I already have, I've put a lot of time and effort into all this, it just seems to be for naught. Maybe yet another sign to get out. Not sure what else to think. anyone else have simliar challenges?
You have to think like the interviewer thinks. If you show "enthusiasm", they think that means "I am really hard up for a job". You should go into an interview reserved and with a "let's get to business" attitude to make it clear that "I am not here to beg for a job but to see if we have a meeting of the minds and if we can be a good fit with each other". You cannot act like you are the interviewer's best buddy or like a vacume cleaner salesman in a job interview. For example, if the interviewer says something about the nasty weather, you should respond with "yes the weather is quite awful today. But you didn't ask me here to discuss the weather so let's talk about the position and what I can offer you and you me".

Old 12-22-2007, 06:11 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I am actually in between jobs right now too because of relocating to another state. I personally feel this is the WORST time to look for a job with the Holidays approaching. I had an interview last week and it turned out that they thought I was too qualified for the position. They had my resume beforehand so they knew my qualifications ahead of time so why waste my time and theirs? I guess I did not "fit" the profile they were looking for. They actually ended up giving me a number of someone that may be hiring for what they thought I would be better suited for. It was weird........ I walked in for an interview and felt as though I left with a headhunter! Although the job was not exactly what I was looking for but I need a job right now so I was willing to just take what I can get at this point. It was just all too strange, I had never encountered an interview quite like that. I can sympathize with you on the job hunting though.........it can be a very daunting.
Actually it IS the WORST time of the year to look for work. Few companies hire between mid november and new years because business (except retail) slows during this time, they do not want to pay brand new employees for 4 holidays and often the people who do the hiring and firing are on vacation during this time. Send out resumes and wait until January 2 and you should start hearing from employers again.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You have to think like the interviewer thinks. If you show "enthusiasm", they think that means "I am really hard up for a job".
For example, if the interviewer says something about the nasty weather, you should respond with "yes the weather is quite awful today. But you didn't ask me here to discuss the weather so let's talk about the position and what I can offer you and you me".
Respectfully disagree. Why not show enthusiasm? Of course you really WANT this job, or you wouldn't be at the interview!

Many positons require some people skills as well and the curt, hypothetical weather response could doom them right there. There's no way to know what an interviewer thinks because each individual has a different personality and you're probably not psychic.
If they're formal, you be formal. But an uppity front may go against you. Any place worth working for would appreciate you being sincere, professional -- and yourself, so they know just who they're getting. It would stink if you ended up not fitting in because you faked not being enthusiastic about the job, and you ended up stuck with people who were not.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Respectfully disagree. Why not show enthusiasm? Of course you really WANT this job, or you wouldn't be at the interview!
Yeah, aren't you supposed to "follow up" and continue to show interest? I've always been under the impression that it's bad to apply/have an interview then just wait on the employer to get in touch with you, i.e. that would show that you're NOT interested. LeaveWI, that's a crazy excuse that they gave you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment