Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:25 AM

576 posts, read 994,340 times

Advertisements

My schedule is four 10 hour days. I work in a call center.

Recently our schedules changed, mandatory. I now work 7 AM to 5:30 PM.

When you work in a call center, adherence to one's schedule is of the upmost importance. You take your breaks/lunches, when the schedule dictates, not when it feels right for you.

When I go into work now, my schedule dictates a break at about 8:45 AM (I think too early). Then lunch at 10:15 AM or 10:30 AM or thereabout. That leaves me working six plus hours the remainder of the day with only a 15 minute break.

My problem is with the lunch schedule. I want my lunch scheduled a little later in the day, to give a break for human comfort level.

I don't need 2 breaks within a few hours of my having come to work, if it means that I will work the next six hours with only a 15 minute break.

I have complained to my supervisor, and she has gone to bat on this topic. I like my supv and I think she really tries to be in our corner. Thus far, it's done no good.

The answer given is always "lunches are scheduled based on staffing need and can't be moved". This is after the supervisor having contacted that dept., to find out if we can move the lunch, or what options there are. The answer provided was that the individual can ask, email that dept., (schedules are dictated by a Planning Dept), the answer was that the individual can email the Planning Dept., and request, and the request will be considered.

I've done so. Probably about 90% of the time, they don't move it, the answer sent back, "lunches are scheduled to meet business/staffing need, and cannot be moved"

As I said, I don't need two breaks within three hours of my arrival to work. I need it spread out a little better. I'm not asking for an add'l break, I'm not asking that my breaks be extended in their time frame(s). I am just asking that they please move my lunch to a later point in what is a 10 hour workday.

Should I go to HR with the complaint to see if anything can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 05:25 AM

212 posts, read 335,592 times
Default Here's the rationale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
The answer given is always "lunches are scheduled based on staffing need and can't be moved".
I'm not sure what service or product your call center supports, but likely the busiest times are during the traditional lunch hours (11A-1P). That is likely when your customers will most need your services.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Sorry but this isn't something for HR. They will defer to the business unit on matters relating to the business. Going to HR will cause more trouble than it's worth. Deal with it or move on.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:08 AM

60 posts, read 131,231 times
I worked in a call center as a PT weekend job and the situation you described is par for the course. Breaks and lunches have to be scheduled, as they stated, to meet the needs of the business. The business has to ensure that a certain number of agents are available at any given time. You can keep asking, but there is not much else you can do. Going to HR will resolve nothing.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:19 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
I have worked in call centers before. HR has nothing to do with scheduling.

The peak time will be during normal lunch hours(11AM-1PM). Call center staff will have lunch breaks scheduled before or after the peak. This is not going to change, no matter how many complaints are filed with HR.

It's the nature of call center work. You can do what I did. Work a year and look for a salaried job. At salaried jobs, I can come in late or leave early. I can take a late lunch or early lunch. They don't care, as long as you do your job.

I have never thought of going back to call center jobs.

Last edited by move4ward; 07-26-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Just be careful not to complain yourself out of a job. Just look at the bigger picture, that you are able to pay your bills and put food on the table. Your situation most likely is not going to change much at all. Try looking at it in a different way, like you could be unemployed and wont have anything to complain about. People out there with no job and no source of income will love to trade places with you, you have their problem and the have yours about the lunch time. They will switch with you in a heartbeat, be grateful you at least have a job.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Remember that HR supports management and the company and to keep the company from getting sued. Going there will likely do nothing.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 AM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sorry but this isn't something for HR. They will defer to the business unit on matters relating to the business. Going to HR will cause more trouble than it's worth. Deal with it or move on.
Totally agree with this.

HR should never be considered your 'friend' or on your side.

I have witnessed how worthless HR is in these sorts of things, and HR actually is on the side of management for the most part. I have seen someone who complained to HR before and it eventually backfired on him and he was forced to quit.

The only things one should involve HR in is for very serious matters such as harassment and those sorts of things, but only with advice from outside legal sources.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
My first job in my field was in a call center doing tech support. You took your lunch and your breaks when the schedule allowed. Sometimes I'd tell a caller to reboot their computer when it wasn't necessary just so I could put them on hold and run to the bathroom.

It is what it is...I wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't. Call centers are necessarily rigid when it comes to schedules.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
You would face the same issue as a restaurant employee. Breaks come before and after the rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment