Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,438,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Are any of the ivy league or public ivy league schools out in more rural and small town locations?

Gosh seems the ones in CA-Stanford, UCSB, UCDavis, UCBerkeley, UCSC, UCLA, UCSD, and UCI are all some what close to a large city or in a large city. Stanford is a small city outside San Jose, SB has is it's own small city and is also not too far from LA, Davis is not too far from Sacramento, Berkeley is not too far from Oakland, UCLA is in West LA, and UCIrvine is a small city. and UCSanDiego is not too far from downtown San Diego. And Santa Cruz is a small city, but is still relatively close to San Jose. Prob the most far out of all the public ivys in CA from a large city.

Shoot I feel like my uni was only good to get me into a good grad school, but if I'd known that, then I would have gone to the uni that gets me a job and not bother with one getting me into grad school.

I'm starting off with a cold calling job out of college....
Dartmouth is the only one I can immediately think of. Other than that, you need to get a major metro and find whatever while you look for a job in your field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 12:50 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,779,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I wouldn't be crying about how terrible a 20-minute commute is. The average commute isn't a 10-15 minute trip.

Newsflash: When there is a car accident, rush hour traffic backs up in other cities too. There is nothing unusual about that.

You have no idea what it's like outside the little college bubble. On a list of long tortuous commutes, a 20-minute trip doesn't even qualify. I would love to have a 20-minute commute to all the jobs in my career.

You are coming up with small stuff to not find employment.
Did I ever say a commute is why there is no jobs? NO. I said people are living far away because they can't afford to live near their jobs. And there aren't many jobs.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 7,844,495 times
Wouldn't the answer then be to telecommute? If it's a problem in both communities then problem solved.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Wouldn't the answer then be to telecommute? If it's a problem in both communities then problem solved.
You are going back to science and math, technical, jobs that allow you to do that. I don't like there are any jobs for liberal arts majors that allow you to telecommute.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Dartmouth is the only one I can immediately think of. Other than that, you need to get a major metro and find whatever while you look for a job in your field.
Even then, Dartmouth is like an hour and half from Boston? So I guess it's considered to be a smaller town outside a metro area.

I'm thinking of Corvallis and the college town I went to. Penn State seems pretty far out from a metro area too.

Let's not forget Ithaca, NY where Cornell is. It's another college town far from a metro area.

I only know of some business and engineering majors who were able to get jobs in the college town after college. Teachers, medical-field related jobs, and such had to look out of the area for work.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 AM

341 posts, read 675,832 times
Quote:
Even then, Dartmouth is like an hour and half from Boston? So I guess it's considered to be a smaller town outside a metro area.

I'm thinking of Corvallis and the college town I went to. Penn State seems pretty far out from a metro area too.

Let's not forget Ithaca, NY where Cornell is. It's another college town far from a metro area.

I only know of some business and engineering majors who were able to get jobs in the college town after college. Teachers, medical-field related jobs, and such had to look out of the area for work.
Know your surroundings. I'll guarantee you every crop science major or ag business major had a job the day before the graduation ceremony. Your complaints, while marginally true and appropriate, are out of line with the demands of the area.

Like a University of Texas at Abilene graduate who majored in Marine Biology complaining there's no jobs, the only thing available is gas/oil. Well, you don't say?

There's money to be made, look around here, everyone drives a brand new car, there's a lot of private jets going in and out of the two local airports and clearly, those people living on the hill with ocean views must be doing something to pay the bills. Whatever it is, it's just not in line with what you want to do.

Time to move.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,009,570 times
Quote:
HA HA. Career services put on job fairs, which are highly competitive, and offer interviewing and 1 on 1 "how to create a linkedin account" and "resume creations" appointments. Which i can google or even do it on my own. I'd ditch our career services for something more practical like more investment in getting companies to offer internships.
Agreed. I have worked in several colleges and universities, and career services is the biggest waste of money on campus. A bunch of twenty something that majored in career counseling and have never actually had any other job besides that one. They give you personality tests and host career fairs where big companies come to recruit for minimum wage positions.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,009,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations
VT/UVA have good reputations that can allow someone to go most anywhere in the country. Charlottesville isn't isolated to the extent Blacksburg is either. I know a few JMU grads, but they were mostly women who ended up being SAHMs.
-------------------------------------------------------
LOL! I am a woman, 28, JMU CoB graduate, Senior Business Intelligence Analyst.

My point was that most people who go to college in a college town should know what they're getting into, realize it's probably a 4-5 year deal, and then move on to their markets. If it is a decent school that you can go to with little to no debt, don't worry about the job market in that town, but focus on making alumni connections and interning elsewhere. Your point - I should be a SAHM.

LOL! [quote=randomlikeme]

And I went to UVa and am half-SAHM, half under-paid adjunct. My first job after graduating from UVa was as a waitress. The job I have now came mostly from taking evening and online classes many years later. UVa is not all it thinks it is, and there is nothing wrong with JMU. I think many UVa grads are successful on the job market simply because they are from Northern Virginia in the first place, or have contacts there. Charlottesville is pretty isolated.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:46 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,368,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
In many college towns, competition is stiff because the grads aren't ready to leave to college life behind. My question to you OP, is why stay if you have already graduated? Look elsewhere for work. Join the Peace Corps or military if necessary. Sleep on someone's couch until you get on your feet.
Agereed, reluctantly, but heartily.

For me personally, the undergraduate ears represented a complete, and total break from the stagnation of the modest-sized (pop 25,000) and simplistic nature of the mixed agricultural/blue-collar environment in which I came of age. The first thing I discarded was the alarm clock and the rigid, regimented schedule it represented. I cut a class now and then,but more than made up for it, due to both the freedom to somewhat customize my choice of coursework, and a willingness to study longer and harder, just so long as I could do so independently and autonomously.

Unfortunately, upon leaving (after an insincere pursuit of graduate study) I was to learn that such a lifestyle was seldom attainable in the working world. Furthermore, in those times (1972-1978) employers were much more disposed to drop the hint that an employee not yet committed to the encumberences of a marriage and young family could expect little advancement. The emancipation of women and the acceptance of LGBT lifestyles has diminished that obstacle considerably, but it has also intensified the competition for advancement, and at a time when many "hard skills" don't command what they once did.

I wish the OP all the luck in the world, but he has a long row to hoe, and needs to step back and take a hard look at the facts.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-27-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 02:57 PM

852 posts, read 3,818,808 times
We moved to a classic, mildly isolated college town for my job, which has nothing to do with the university. It is true that the 23-year-olds who stay here work at Jimmy John's, but it's OK to move on to pursue a career and return when the timing/job fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment