Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel.nicole View Post
Would you work a job where you had to work 10-12 hour shifts 5 days a week? I go for a job interview next week for a Quality Inspector job. I don't want to work more than 8 hours a day. I don't think I can handle working 10 or 12 hours everyday. And the job only pays $9.00 an hour and I will be standing the entire shift. Would you take this job?
I would work a 12 hour shift. I would not work for so little though. Minimum wage in California is now $9 an hour. Here at the hospital many people work 12 hour shifts. My wife is in Nursing and she works three 12 hour shifts a week. Normally she works a couple days in a row and then another day during the week. Note: Our first year RN's start at $33 an hour as base pay. Our shift pay is set up in that after 8 hours you get time and a half. For a 12 hour shift they take the entire shift and average out the pay. Real income for a new RN would average out to $38.50 an hour or $462 a day. A lot of them work 1 or 2 additional days a week and those hours are time and a half based on the $33 an hour base pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
For that little money and since you may be working those kind of hours anyway, maybe consider working in sales. Insurance sales would be my pick, or financial planning.

I like both Edward Jones for Financial planning and Farmers for Insurance. Both of these companies offer training to help you build a nice income. You do have to be on your feet and talk to lots of people. You may need to work 80 or more hours a week, but much of that can be done in your own home.

The benefit is that you can build a high five figure or six figure income. You will need to put in a lot of time though but the benefits are that you will more than likely end up with your own office, and with Edward Jones you will have an office assistant as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,499,602 times
I wouldn't mind working 100+ hours a week at $9/hr if it's entirely from home (telecommuting).

Old 07-24-2014, 01:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Back in the day, yes...I worked 36 hours shifts sometimes.

But now...no way in hell.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,735,706 times
I don't understand all the comments about "if" they pay you overtime. With very few exceptions, employers are required to pay hourly employees time-and-a-half for hours over 40 in a work week. If you're hired at an hourly rate to work 60 hours in a week at $9/hour, you should be making $13.50 for 20 of those hours.

Regarding the original question, I'd take if if I needed a job and didn't have anything else on the horizon.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Wasn't there a billionaire who called for 3 day work weeks with 10-12 hour days recently? I've worked 10-12 hour days but rarely back-to-back, let alone, back-to-back-to-back. I don't see it as a good idea because we've seen that as an employee works longer, typically productivity does go down. I know with me on the few 12 hour shifts I've done, I was running on fumes when I got to hour 11. Typically hour 12 was clean-up and not as strenuous. Granted, I liked what I did but it was still rough.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:02 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,525,115 times
At one job we were offered the option of working four day weeks on a 4x10 schedule, which I tried. I think it depends partly on your personality and the type of work involved, and partly on what conditions or restrictions the workplace may impose. We were on salary, but one of the conditions in our case was that any personal business we had was to be dealt with on the off day--really rather a contradiction when you think about it. After all, one's usually not expected to go to the dentist on Saturday afternoon or Wednesday evening. It turned out that the extra day off was usually filled with household chores and errands which you would normally spread out through the week to some extent. The short version is that you learn quickly that the same amount of time off, differently arranged, does not equal more time off.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:10 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,525,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
we work from 6am to 7:30 at night seven days a week, I have never worked a 40 in the last 30 years. I average about 65 on the low side. you gotta make that money, get it while you can
Do you mean the business is open during those hours, or each of you individually works 87 hours a week?

If so this certainly demonstrates how much worse life is becoming for the working class.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,699,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post

Not working more than 8 hours per day is not realistic. If you ever hope to get beyond poverty level you've got to be goal-focused, not hour focused.
This sounds like great advice, and I would add to exercise, have a healthy diet, and save while working towards a better position.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:18 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,681,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Do you mean the business is open during those hours, or each of you individually works 87 hours a week?

If so this certainly demonstrates how much worse life is becoming for the working class.

Sounds like a machine shop or production facility. Many machinists work a lot of OT because they make a lot of money doing it. My last company ran two shifts and it was really common to see a machinist work 14-16 hrs per day (working into 2nd shift) because the work was available and they wanted the OT. Some once into OT were making over $65 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment