Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:52 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times

Advertisements

Is there a job that is so terrible that you would just refuse to do it as a career (for a one year commitment) even if you were paid a million dollars?

A friend asked me this interesting question and I had to think about it for awhile. My first thought is I could do pretty much anything for a million if it was just for a year. But then I was told about the people who go to plane crashes and have to investigate the mess and look at all the bodies and body parts.

Think about what the dead people look like who were in that plane crash near Russia after sitting rotting in the sun for days and then loaded onto the train. Professionals will inspect the bodies and body parts in a few days as part of the accident investigation.

A highly skilled job, that must pay very well, but would you do it for a million dollars a year? Can you think of a tougher or more unpleasant job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
What a cheerful uplifting observation with which to start off the day.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

A friend asked me this interesting question and I had to think about it for awhile. My first thought is I could do pretty much anything for a million if it was just for a year. But then I was told about the people who go to plane crashes and have to investigate the mess and look at all the bodies and body parts.
I know I guy who DOES that for a living (FBI - identification). He would be thrilled to get a cool mil as he makes nowhere near that now!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
My father owns a transport service where he picks up bodies for various city morgues, funeral homes, hospitals, etc...

It's a little unnerving at times, but for a cool million I'd do it with a smile.

I don't know of a job that I wouldn't do for a million as long as it were legal.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I don't know if I would want to work in a live war zone where I'm almost certain to not come out alive or around extremely lethal diseases like ebola at any price.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM

211 posts, read 266,754 times
Work for a tobacco company

Old 07-22-2014, 08:58 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't know if I would want to work in a live war zone where I'm almost certain to not come out alive or around extremely lethal diseases like ebola at any price.

Unless I'm doing so to protect my own people. Then I'd do it for free.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I could not do something that involved selling my body or made me do something morally wrong.

Examples:
Prostitution ( remember that movie with Demi ?)
Lawyer representing murderers, rapists and pedophiles ( necessary but I couldn't do it)
Therapist for the above mentioned criminals
Drug dealer
Killer for hire
Slave owner

Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
I wouldn't do anything that involved killing people: soldier, executioner, hitman, etc. Not for all the money in the world--I couldn't live with myself.

I also couldn't be an astronaut. I have phobias of both confined areas and drifting in space. I would rather be poor than endure a year of abject terror.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
My father owns a transport service where he picks up bodies for various city morgues, funeral homes, hospitals, etc...

It's a little unnerving at times, but for a cool million I'd do it with a smile.

I don't know of a job that I wouldn't do for a million as long as it were legal.
It is one thing looking at dead people who died naturally and anther to look at body parts and people who died in a plane crash or war zone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment